Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is finalizing lease plans for the luxury shopping mall planned for the World Trade Center site, according to a report from IFOAppleStore.

IFO claims the mall developer has already signed a lease with Victoria's Secret and negotiations are in process with Michael Kors, Swatch and Abercrombie & Fitch, among other retailers, including Apple.

wtc_retail_rendering2.jpg

The website for the project contains a number of renderings of the proposed buildings, including the one above of the shopping area.
A one square-block memorial park has already opened at the site, and work is well underway on one of four high-rise office towers that will surround the park. The shopping mall will occupy space under three of the towers, and on the lower floors of two towers. Perhaps not coincidentally, the three towers were designed by architects Foster + Partners, who are working on Apple’s new California headquarters and the future San Francisco 2 retail store. Construction on the three office towers and a major transit station is in the early stages. The mall is scheduled to open in 2015, when the Apple store would open.

Apple already has a number of Apple Retail Stores in New York City including Fifth Avenue, Grand Central, SoHo, Upper West Side, and West 14th Street. The company has long been rumored to be looking at locations for a new store in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Article Link: Apple Finalizing Plans for Retail Store at World Trade Center Shopping Mall

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Crap, another awesome Apple store incoming. The Grand Central store is a thing of beauty.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Financial District is dead after 5:00pm. If I ever need a Genius Bar appointment, I am coming here.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Holy crap, no wait times here! ;) :p

Not sure if you're serious, but that is a rendering of the mall in general. There isn't an "Apple" store featured, but there is a generic "PC" store rendering that has many Apple looking devices. It's no where near big enough, though.

Just makes me think my trip to NYC should be sooner rather than later -- would love to see the sights.

LoadStar

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm beginning to think that Calatrava is a bit of a hack, or at the very least is getting a little repetitive. This looks a lot like the interior of the Milwaukee Art Museum and its Brise Soleil.

marksecho

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
We would love an apple store in northern New England to service the million + people who live in upstate NY, all of Vermont, and northern New Hampshire. Burlington, Vt is the perfect place for one. Big college town. Apple products everywhere I look that need service, replacing etc.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
I'm beginning to think that Calatrava is a bit of a hack, or at the very least is getting a little repetitive. This looks a lot like the interior of the Milwaukee Art Museum and its Brise Soleil.

Pretty much. Here is Brookfield place in Toronto:

Brookfield-place-by-Randy-Stern.jpg

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It's an Apple Retail Store...Of course it will look good! :p

Indeed. But that guy is apparently on an inane comment posting mission and is in quite some rush to do it. Weird!

But yeah, what Apple store doesn't look good?? ;)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
It took them 12 years to build the tower. The mall should only take 25 or so.

----------

Hopefully, a Brooklyn Apple store is in the works, and not in Williamsburg.

Selfishly I'd want one near the Slope, but it's way harder for the billyburg people to get to an Apple Store than it is for ppl in South BK.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Hopefully, a Brooklyn Apple store is in the works, and not in Williamsburg.

It took them 12 years to build the tower. The mall should only take 25 or so.

----------

Selfishly I'd want one near the Slope, but it's way harder for the billyburg people to get to an Apple Store than it is for ppl in South BK.

I would seriously rather Downtown Brooklyn or nearby Barclays Center than any where in Williamsburg. Near Barclays the transportation is extremely better from anywhere in the city! That goes for Downtown BK as well. Near Borough Hall.

Come on Apple! If you're giving Brooklyn it's store make sure the location is feasible for everyone lol

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I would seriously rather Downtown Brooklyn or nearby Barclays Center than any where in Williamsburg. Near Barclays the transportation is extremely better from anywhere in the city! That goes for Downtown BK as well. Near Borough Hall.

Come on Apple! If you're giving Brooklyn it's store make sure the location is feasible for everyone lol

Exactly.

The rumored 66 Boerum Place location (at Atlantic Ave.) would be perfect. It's near Borough Hall and a bunch of subway lines (2,3,4,5,R,A,C,F,G). It's easily accessible by foot to people living in Downtown, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens. If you live in Park Slope you could also walk or take the B63 bus which would stop right in front of the store. There's a good number of tourists who pass through the area, especially during the warm months. Maybe Apple should open two stores by 2015, one at 66 Boerum and one in Williamsburg.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Exactly.

The rumored 66 Boerum Place location (at Atlantic Ave.) would be perfect. It's near Borough Hall and a bunch of subway lines (2,3,4,5,R,A,C,F,G). It's easily accessible by foot to people living in Downtown, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens. If you live in Park Slope you could also walk or take the B63 bus which would stop right in front of the store. There's a good number of tourists who pass through the area, especially during the warm months. Maybe Apple should open two stores by 2015, one at 66 Boerum and one in Williamsburg.

It's hardly an issue. For the same price of taking the train to downtown I can go to soho or the 5th ave store. Now for people out in the suburbs or country, location and proximity is far more important.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008

A hack that's in it for the BIG money. This is the mark he left on Chicago:

chicago-chicago-spire-santiago-calatrava-from-ciltis-on-flickr-578x434.jpg

The reason?

Santiago Calatrava to Chicago Spire Developer: “You owe me MONEY!!”. By the fall of 2008, it was all beginning to unravel, with liens being placed against the project, including one for $11.3 million from Calatrava. One reader suggests making Calatrava's images into posters.
source: http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-end-of-epic-dream-calatravas.html

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I hardly think the man is a hack. All top tier architects have a strong personal aesthetic. It's self branding. Hadid, Gehry, Meier, Ito..they all have their own stamp.

Regarding the spire, lets be honest. Chicago is one of the most crooked cities on earth. I lived there for many years. That project was doomed from day 1 considering the players involved.

Hendry

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Financial District is dead after 5:00pm. If I ever need a Genius Bar appointment, I am coming here.

The WTC site is in Tribeca, not the financial district. And it's not so dead in the area after 5. I work a block away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.