Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5s.jpg
Apple is now permitting developers to submit 64-bit apps to take advantage of the A7 processor in the iPhone 5s, according to a note posted to the company's developer site today.

Developers with apps that function on both iOS 6 and iOS 7 will be limited to 32-bit development for the time being, but Apple has plans to support a single app binary for both 32-bit and 64-bit apps in the next month.
You can submit 64-bit apps for iOS 7 today that take advantage of the power of iPhone 5s. Xcode can build your app with both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries included so it works across all devices running iOS 7. If you wish to continue to support iOS 6 then you will need to build for 32-bit only. Next month we will be making changes that will allow you create a single app binary that supports 32-bit on iOS 6, as well as 32-bit and 64-bit on iOS 7.
First unveiled last Tuesday, the iPhone 5s incorporates the first 64-bit processor found in a mobile device. According to Apple, the processor offers double the power and graphics performance of the iPhone 5 and is 40 times faster than the processor of the original iPhone. 

In addition to an A7 processor, the iPhone 5s also includes a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, an M7 motion-sensing chip, a number of camera improvements, and better battery life.

Apple is not accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 5s, which will be available for purchase from Apple's online store beginning at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, September 20.

Update: Apple has removed the note for unknown reasons.

Article Link: Developers Now Permitted to Submit 64-Bit Apps for iPhone 5s

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I don't fully understand the benefits of 64-bit on the iPhone at this point, but I'm all for improvements and building for the future!

Last edited:

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Developers with apps that function on both iOS 6 and iOS 7 will be limited to 32-bit development for the time being, but Apple has plans to support a single app binary for both 32-bit and 64-bit apps in the next month.

That'll put a damper on launch-day 64-bit apps, but it sounds like there won't be many 5s units out in the wild for a bit anyway.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'd imagine the developers would need a little more time to recode for 64 bit?

There's really no re-coding. Basicaly, it's compiling the code through a 64-bit compiler in addition to the 32-bit compiler and testing the code. In rare cases, there will need to be a few fixes, but in general, the same code can be compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
There's really no re-coding. Basicaly, it's compiling the code through a 64-bit compiler in addition to the 32-bit compiler and testing the code. In rare cases, there will need to be a few fixes, but in general, the same code can be compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Learned something today! :)

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I'd imagine the developers would need a little more time to recode for 64 bit?

In the keynote the Infinity Blade devloper recompiled his game in 64-bit in less than 2 hours using the new features in xCode.

Granted, I'm sure people would need more time for testing and ensuring everything compiled smoothly.

Last edited:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
More than a bit better.

Having learned to hand assemble for an 8-bit it amazes me how far we have come.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Man, iTunes on OS X isnt even 64 bit lol
plays my songs just fine

Unless you're using an older Mac which is running an old version of OS X, your iTunes should be "Intel 64 bit", you can check in Activity Monitor.

My Mac mini has a Core 2 Duo, my OS X version is 10.8.4 and my iTunes is 64 bit.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Lack of single binary for both 32-bit and 64-bit is code for "you won't exactly see many 64-bit apps for at least a month." We're talking Infinity Blade III and ...?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
And yet still no word of 64 bit Android. We're so far ahead of them it's hysterical. :D If you want 64 bit desktop performance on your mobile there is only one player in town.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

Depends...
The changes can be quite significant to the point where certain parts of the code simply won't compile (or compile then crash your machine because they make wrong assumptions.)

In my view the apps that will benefit the most from being 64-bit, generally won't compile if they use 32-bit code.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Lack of single binary for both 32-bit and 64-bit is code for "you won't exactly see many 64-bit apps for at least a month." We're talking Infinity Blade III and ...?

iMovie or iPhoto and a few other Apple apps are probably ready for the hybrid versions in-house (they've got the new compiler!).

Any new apps that don't need or want to support the older OSes.

Gary

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm reminded of all the "WHY ISN'T ITUNES 64-BIT YET???" threads here, yet no one could actually explain the benefits of it being 64-bit for the average user.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
And yet still no word of 64 bit Android. We're so far ahead of them it's hysterical. :D If you want 64 bit desktop performance on your mobile there is only one player in town.

The best part is yet to come...Once they do have (multiple implementations of) 64bit chips to use, mass confusion will ensue with programs running only on certain processors, etc.

The reality is Apple is about to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt why Android is fragmented and more effort for devs to program for. Imagine making 6 or 8 binaries for your program vs. 2 for iOS7.0 and possibly one for iOS7.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.