Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of a new 3.0 update for iCloud Control Panel for Windows, Apple has created new browser plugins for both the Chrome and Firefox Windows apps. Using the plugins, Windows users can now sync their iOS Safari bookmarks with the Chrome and Firefox browsers. Previously, browser syncing was limited to Internet Explorer.

icloudcontrolpanel.jpg
iCloud keeps mail, contacts, and calendars up to date between your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and Windows PC, and lets you share calendars and task lists.

iCloud also keeps your Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Google Chrome bookmarks on Windows in sync with your Safari bookmarks on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

With My Photo Stream, iCloud automatically downloads the photos you take with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your PC, -- and any photos you add to My Photo Stream are automatically available on your other devices set up with iCloud.

You can also share photos and videos with just the people you choose, and invite friends to add their own photos, videos, and comments with iCloud Photo Sharing.

Note: To create an iCloud account you need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5 or later, or a Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later. Microsoft Outlook 2007 or later or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars. The iCloud Bookmarks extension is required for syncing bookmarks with Firefox or Google Chrome.
iCloud Control Panel can be downloaded from Apple's website. The new Chrome and Firefox extensions can be downloaded from their respective websites.

Article Link: Apple Releases Chrome and Firefox Extensions for Windows to Support iCloud Bookmark Syncing

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Dang, for some reason they only allow the Chrome extension to work on Windows. I wish it worked on Mac Chrome too because I use both browsers depending on what I am working on.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Dang, for some reason they only allow the Chrome extension to work on Windows. I wish it worked on Mac Chrome too because I use both browsers depending on what I am working on.

My thoughts exactly. I don't have Flash installed, so I use Chrome when I hit a website that has Flash. I've just accepted that my bookmarks wouldn't be there on Chrome, but sometimes I wish they were. I got tired of Xmarks having issues so I uninstalled that.

Twizz91

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
Maybe this will convince me to use safari on the ipad again instead of iOS Chrome (which I personally prefer!)

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
Yeah this got me excited for a second. Then I realized it's windows only. Why, Apple, why?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Getting an "access denied" message when trying to download the control panel...

Edit: nevermind, working now. Edit: Nope, it's the old, version, getting that mesage posted below...

Last edited:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
definitely a great addition, not something i could have seen happening with SJ around

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Yeah this got me excited for a second. Then I realized it's windows only. Why, Apple, why?

Because their thinking is if you are on a Mac you should be using Safari?!?
Nice they provide syncing to a platform they no longer have a client for, other than just IE.

EDIT: Looks to now be unavailable??

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/041-9922.20130411.Xse32/iCloudSetup.exe" on this server.
Reference #18.34a0c9cc.1379537836.24a52a

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Doesn't appear to actually work.

Installed the control panel on Windows 8, installed the plugin for Firefox.

Control panel only gives me the option to sync with Internet Explorer, no options button to change it and the plugin in Firefox just tells me to download the control panel. No difference after a restart.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Doesn't appear to actually work.

Installed the control panel on Windows 8, installed the plugin for Firefox.

Control panel only gives me the option to sync with Internet Explorer, no options button to change it and the plugin in Firefox just tells me to download the control panel. No difference after a restart.

I think they pulled it.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Would be cool if they made a plug in for Firefox on the Mac. Then I could stop using Safari. :D

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Seems the download is back up again. I guess Apple's servers are just getting hammered with iOS 7. Still doesn't work though.

unsynaps

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Wahh it does not work on Chrome for mac.

We only had syncing for IE since... ever. Had to to a round about way with XMarks to get FF to sync with iCloud so I had those links on my iPhone.

Now I might actually ditch XMarks and just use iCloud.

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Wait a minute...

The download site is 2.1.2. This story talks about 3.0.

Maybe that's why it isn't working with the Firefox plugin. I guess 2.1.2 is IE only.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
developers developers developers

Ok, lets see who can reverse engineer this extension so it can work on a mac and fool apple's servers into accepting the bookmarks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.