Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Is there a workaround for the non-approved lightning cables in iOS7 yet? I really hate not being able to charge my phone at work or in the car. :mad:

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Mine will charge sometimes for a bit and then I will check and it's not. I dismiss the warning and go back and there is another warning and its not charging it's annoying. :mad:

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
Is there a workaround for the non-approved lightning cables in iOS7 yet? I really hate not being able to charge my phone at work or in the car. :mad:

The cables still charge. They just lack a chip from Apple that registers them in the phone as "non-approved". But they will still charge.

Or you could just pony up the extra $5-10 and buy a non-crappy cable and forget the error altogether.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
This is the error I get and then my phone stops charging even if I dismiss it.

picture.php

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It's been happening with my Mophie Juicepack. I'll plug it in with the phone to charge both and after a little while it stops with the warning. I have to charge the Juicepack and my phone separately now.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's been happening with my Mophie Juicepack. I'll plug it in with the phone to charge both and after a little while it stops with the warning. I have to charge the Juicepack and my phone separately now.

That's weird. Mophie payed a lot of money to be a certified accessory developer, they will want to know if there is an issue. They might even swap your case out.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
That's weird. Mophie payed a lot of money to be a certified accessory developer, they will want to know if there is an issue. They might even swap your case out.

Yeah I'll give them a call or email for sure. It works fine when I'm just using the case and turn it on to charge the phone. It's just when I am using the micro-USB cable that came with it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Yea the whole thing is a pain. Does anyone know if Apple is still doing the "unauthorized" cable trade in?

Why would they do that? The sell fine cables. If you buy something else, that is your problem.

(should not have to say this, but the issue with "unauthorized" power adapters is totally different)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Both Amazon with their AmazonBasics brand and Monoprice have certified cables which are licensed from Apple and cost less than Apple's. I have 2 of the Amazon ones and they are really heavy duty. The lightning end of them doesn't work with all cases though, so make sure you have room around your port. I just ordered 2 from Monoprice. I figure it's time to have plenty....at home, in the car and at work.

My fake one in the car was just giving me the warning...now it gives me the warning and doesn't charge! I wonder if iOS keeps track of how many times you plug a given cable in and eventually prevents it from charging? Or maybe it just failed naturally. Another fake one I have still works. But I'll go 100% legit I guess!

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...id=1379894297&sr=1-5&keywords=lightning+cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=lightning+cable

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Both Amazon with their AmazonBasics brand and Monoprice have certified cables which are licensed from Apple and cost less than Apple's. I have 2 of the Amazon ones and they are really heavy duty. The lightning end of them doesn't work with all cases though, so make sure you have room around your port. I just ordered 2 from Monoprice. I figure it's time to have plenty....at home, in the car and at work.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...id=1379894297&sr=1-5&keywords=lightning+cable

I have a couple of the Amazon Basics Lightning cable and I use them with IOS7 on my iPhone 5. They work fine with no pop up warnings. They seem to be better made than the more expensive apple-branded Chinese cables.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

My fake one in the car was just giving me the warning...now it gives me the warning and doesn't charge! I wonder if iOS keeps track of how many times you plug a given cable in and eventually prevents it from charging? Or maybe it just failed naturally. Another fake one I have still works. But I'll go 100% legit I guess!

Oh thank goodness. I bought a pair of lightning cables from Monoprice last week before I heard anything about cables not working. It's going to be a month before I can buy an iPhone, so I'm glad to hear I didn't spend $20 on junk.

avmsam

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto, ON
the non-official cables work 100% fine. you just gotta put up with the annoying pop-up telling you it's not an approved cable. however i have been having issues specifically with Mophie cases but that seems to be a Mophie issue. it's kinda weird given mophie is actually one of the approved ones.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Want a workaround? Spend the money and buy an official Apple cable. You're plugging a $600.00 device into some cheap aftermarket cable.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
the non-official cables work 100% fine. you just gotta put up with the annoying pop-up telling you it's not an approved cable. however i have been having issues specifically with Mophie cases but that seems to be a Mophie issue. it's kinda weird given mophie is actually one of the approved ones.

There's a thread on here somewhere....I can't find it again where people have said the 5 gives the warning but still charges, but the 5S is supposedly refusing to charge with the fake cables....haven't tried it myself as I don't have a 5S yet.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
There's a thread on here somewhere....I can't find it again where people have said the 5 gives the warning but still charges, but the 5S is supposedly refusing to charge with the fake cables....haven't tried it myself as I don't have a 5S yet.

lol fake cables. Apple fanboyism to the max.

My Mophie Juice Plus charges just fine through any microUSB cable that I own on my 5s.

----------

Want a workaround? Spend the money and buy an official Apple cable. You're plugging a $600.00 device into some cheap aftermarket cable.

There is nothing magical about the Apple cable, I haven't cut one open but I'm fairly certain it is copper just like every other cable out there(would be kind of dumb to use alum). It might have a nice apple logo on it, which means its "higher quality"?

As long as your'e not buying the REAL cheap stuff then worrying about cable quality is really unnecessary.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

Dude, I just used "fake" as a quick slang term for non-official cables. I'm as cheap as anyone here and bought several of these cables when I first got my iPhone 5 and was very proud of the fact that they worked great and I saved some $.

In the months that have followed, even with careful but normal use, almost all of them have had some sort of separation at the point where the cord joins the head near the lightning connector. A couple just failed totally to the point where they would give a message on the mac saying that there was an electrical fault and the mac would turn off the USB port to avoid damaging the computer. I can now say that I got what I paid for...stuff that worked for a while, but is progressively failing.

I understand your logic that a cable is a cable...copper is copper. I have the cheapest HDMI cables I could find on eBay connecting my AppleTV to my TV and they work just great. I'm not at all a fan of paying more than one has to for marketing.

You do need to understand that Apple's lightning connector is more than just a wire from point A to point B. The chip inside reassigns the pins to different duties depending on what is happening. That is how Apple was able to go from 30 pins down to 8 and shrink the size of the connector. The micro USB connector you may use on a different phone is just statically wired. That port is also a lot less flexible. It can be used for power in and data transfer, but I think that's about all you'll get. Apple's connector also doubles for audio/video out and other functions more complex than what you get with a standard micro USB. Sure your phone probably has another port for HDMI connectivity, but eventually having to have 2 ports will be a limit to miniaturization of the electronics.

Because this chip is there reassigning pins dynamically, it is important that it doesn't fail. I don't know if my shorted cables were due to chip failure or a loose connection at the end of the cable. I also have refused to spend $20 for a replacement cable from Apple, but so far I have found to be the licensed cables from Amazon to be very well made. I'm guessing the Monoprice ones I have ordered will be similar quality. I would actually continue to purchase "fake" cables if I could find a quality source...but I bought from two different places already and they have all fallen apart...so in short, the only "fake" cables I've found end up being what you call the "real cheap" ones. Can you point me to a quality substitute cable? I think the best bet is to buy from Amazon or Monoprice.

----------

My Mophie Juice Plus charges just fine through any microUSB cable that I own on my 5s.

And as mentioned above, your phone will charge just fine...I believe the Mophie juice pack has an officially licensed chip from Apple in it doesn't it? Your "any microUSB cable" is just like any extension USB cable. I could put a cheap USB cable extender between my computer and lightning cable with no problem...because it is still an official interface at the phone.

However through that cable you will only do data sync and charging. You aren't getting any of the other functions of the lightning connector transferred to the microUSB port of the Juice Pack. For 95% of people that is probably just fine. Heck with AirPlay one could wonder why there's any need to transfer video/audio with wires anyway?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
There is nothing magical about the Apple cable, I haven't cut one open but I'm fairly certain it is copper just like every other cable out there(would be kind of dumb to use alum). It might have a nice apple logo on it, which means its "higher quality"?

As long as your'e not buying the REAL cheap stuff then worrying about cable quality is really unnecessary.

I agree with you but you have to take into consideration that these 3rd party companies are cutting into Apple's revenues with their knock off cables. Apple will allow companies to make accessories if they pay for the licensing. There is nothing wrong with that. That's the business side of things.

Secondly, there is a reputation to protect. Most users don't know any better. If you buy some $4.00 cable on Amazon and it ruins your iPhone battery because it cant carry the right voltage or whatever the user immediately goes with the "iPhone battery sucks".

I'm sure you remember the story of the lady in China who electrocuted herself when using her iPhone when it was plugged in and charging. The News Media Circus attacked that story hard only to finally back down when investigations revealed she was using some cheap Chinese charger.

This wasn't even Apple's fault and yet they offered to supply people with an official charger for $10.00 if you turned in your aftermarket one.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
the non-official cables work 100% fine.

nope, not for me. i have a cheap non-OEM cable that won't charge my 5. i plugged it in, dismissed the warning, and watched the charge %. after 20 minutes, it hadn't budged.

switched to an Apple cable to the percent slowly ticked up right away.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Last edited:

5thAgent

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Dude, you're the kind of forum-goer I have a problem with. You hover over a thread waiting for someone to say something you can pick apart and criticize them for. This was just a semantics difference. "Fake" and "non-Apple" are pretty synonymous in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.