Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I don't know why it happens, but this is now the 3rd time that MS-Office has lost the product key information and has asked me to enter it. The other two times it wasn't a big deal, because I had the box sitting on a nearby bookshelf. However, I moved cross country a week ago so that's sitting in storage.

So I have two questions:
1) Has this happened to you, or have you heard about it happening? If so, is there a solution?

2) What is the consensus best alternative to MS-Office on the Mac? I just need it to create and view Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. Minimal macro support is also needed, but nothing elaborate.

Please quote any replies so I get notifications of responses, thanks!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I don't know why it happens, but this is now the 3rd time that MS-Office has lost the product key information and has asked me to enter it. The other two times it wasn't a big deal, because I had the box sitting on a nearby bookshelf. However, I moved cross country a week ago so that's sitting in storage.

So I have two questions:
1) Has this happened to you, or have you heard about it happening? If so, is there a solution?

2) What is the consensus best alternative to MS-Office on the Mac? I just need it to create and view Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. Minimal macro support is also needed, but nothing elaborate.

Please quote any replies so I get notifications of responses, thanks!

1- The only time it happened to me was when I migrated from my old MBP to my current one. Don't think it asked for it when I cloned my hard drive to a SSD earlier this year.

2- You could try LibreOffice. Not sure about macro support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.