Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Hi,

I have an Apple TV connected to speakers in my backyard. It is a headless Apple TV (there is no TV connected to it) and I control it via the Remote app (which I paid $10 for all those years ago when it actually cost money).

My question is this: Can I control the Apple TV via Siri from my iPhone? I would love to sit outside and say "Siri, play Jack Johnson in the backyard".

I'm on an iPhone 4, while I wait for my 5s which should be coming in a few days, so I have no experience with Siri. Do this work today?

Thanks in advance

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Would the source of the music be the iPhone? If so, you'd be playing through the AppleTV using AirPlay correct? As long as it's set that way you'd be able to tell Siri to play whatever.

Unless I'm missing something, which is a good possibility.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Would the source of the music be the iPhone? If so, you'd be playing through the AppleTV using AirPlay correct? As long as it's set that way you'd be able to tell Siri to play whatever.

Unless I'm missing something, which is a good possibility.

The source of the music is the Apple TV. I'd rather not use AirPlay because it may limit my ability to use the phone for other things while listening to music. Also, with the source of the music being Apple TV it doesn't drain the battery of the phone.

In essence, what I want is the 'Remote' app to be Siri aware.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I can't help you any further, I apologize.

I hope you find an answer- since you mention it this way, it would be nice if it works!

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.