Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
So I have a 32GB VZW iPhone 5S that I got on launch day. It appears to be defective as whenever even the slightest amount of pressure has been applied to the screen it "pops' or makes a popping sound. It almost seems like the glass is loose or whatever. There is no damage to the phone or the underlying touch panel. I have AppleCare + but I purchased the phone at Best Buy. Should I go to BBY or Apple to have it looked at/fixed/replaced?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Personally I would want to return it for the money because I'd want a brand new phone.

If you don't care about not having your serial number match your box, you might see if Apple stores have any "replacement" models in the back right now, for warranty replacements. At least right now you know they aren't really refurbs.

I'd just be hesitant to do that so early because then you can't return if you decided within the 14 days you don't want the phone or something.

Good luck!

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
Replacement units right now are probably new units without the retail packaging. I would return it to the Apple store right now. If you wait, you'll probably get a refurbished unit.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Personally I would want to return it for the money because I'd want a brand new phone.

If you don't care about not having your serial number match your box, you might see if Apple stores have any "replacement" models in the back right now, for warranty replacements. At least right now you know they aren't really refurbs.

I'd just be hesitant to do that so early because then you can't return if you decided within the 14 days you don't want the phone or something.

Good luck!

Good suggestion. Thanks!

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah i want too, the only problem is we (since you live in Indiana haha) only have one Apple store and they are out of stock according to their website.

Then wait a couple of days, it's worth you getting a good device (one you'll be stuck with for 2 yrs). I actually bought mine at AT&T and don't have any problems with it. I'm not near Indy though. Chicago land area for me.

bbchucks

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Yeah i want too, the only problem is we (since you live in Indiana haha) only have one Apple store and they are out of stock according to their website.

You should be able to just make an appointment at your Apple store, they always have replacement units available for defective products.
I remember when the iPad was first released, and two days later my home button broke. They gave me a new unit at the store, even tho they were not available to be purchased.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I was told they had none in stock, but once I mentioned a defective phone, they suddenly had one. They have some set aside for this purpose.

hughiee

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I was told they had none in stock, but once I mentioned a defective phone, they suddenly had one. They have some set aside for this purpose.

I got my 64GB Space Gray replaced at the Genius Bar. The new model is "NE302LL/A" as a refurbished to the original ME311LL/A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.