Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I just had to call Verizon to activate my iphone and I am a current unlimited data customer. They mentioned to me that they are offering 6gb of data for $25 or $30 a month to unlimited data customers and that you CAN use subsidized pricing on upgrades. She told me the caller right before me was the first person to switch and I would have been second. Since I just paid roughly $800 for the phone I told them maybe next phone. Has anyone heard about this? It doesnt sound too bad, I THINK it was $29.99/month for 6gb of data.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I just had to call Verizon to activate my iphone and I am a current unlimited data customer. They mentioned to me that they are offering 6gb of data for $25 or $30 a month to unlimited data customers and that you CAN use subsidized pricing on upgrades. She told me the caller right before me was the first person to switch and I would have been second. Since I just paid roughly $800 for the phone I told them maybe next phone. Has anyone heard about this? It doesnt sound too bad, I THINK it was $29.99/month for 6gb of data.

:eek:

Seems too good to be true. Can anyone else here confirm this?

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Yep all true. Got a email the other day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 629

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
so pay $30 for 6gb or keep $30 for unlimited. No brainer.

Did you even read the OP?

This is 6GB of data PLUS subsidized upgrades (a $450 value) every two years.

If anything it seems like a no brainer to go with the 6GB + upgrades to me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I believe this promo tries to force people to their EDGE plans.

I seen others state it's an EDGE promo.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Wow I'm paying $25 a month for 2GB of data and no mobile hotspot on AT&T! I'm seriously thinking about switching to Verizon.

I believe this promotion is for Existing VZW customer with unlimited data plan.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Did you even read the OP?

This is 6GB of data PLUS subsidized upgrades (a $450 value) every two years.

If anything it seems like a no brainer to go with the 6GB + upgrades to me.

I disagree. I use way more than 50gb and I only pay $29/mo - unlimited. I don't give a flying f if I have to pay $700 for a phone. Verizon is out to screw its customers by enticing them to get off of unlimited plans - they are greedy b's and I for one will not switch. Verizon is making more $$$ than God so at least I can say I am getting my $29 worth.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Yeah I was actually on the unlimited plan myself and on launch day I went in and was going to change to the 5gb data plan, the rep told me that they can offer me 6gb for the same price I was paying now. Good deal to me since I never go over 4gb data anyways.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I don't give a flying f if I have to pay $700 for a phone.

Most customers don't fall under this statement. I'm glad you can pay $700 cash for a phone contract free but I would assume most customers don't use their smartphone data plan as their home wifi substitute and would rather pay $199 for a smartphone instead, to which this 6GB plan is great for.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Im thinking of doing it. I use anywhere from 8-12 gb a month. I could cut back and use 6gb a month and still get to upgrade at lower prices. Been paying full retail for my last few phones. My plan is too good to give up, just wanted to know if you guys think its worth it?

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Im thinking of doing it. I use anywhere from 8-12 gb a month. I could cut back and use 6gb a month and still get to upgrade at lower prices. Been paying full retail for my last few phones. My plan is too good to give up, just wanted to know if you guys think its worth it?

No, data usage will only increase over the years like it always has. Verizon saw(they were turning into an ISP) this and got rid of unlimited to screw the customer and bank off of overages.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012

You are using 8-12 and really think it would be that easy to cut 25-50%? I think that's a huge assumption.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
You are using 8-12 and really think it would be that easy to cut 25-50%? I think that's a huge assumption.

Yeah. I could use wifi at home. I use data everywhere because I dont need to worry. I also used to download torrents on my android phone, cant do that on my new iphone. I think I would average about 5-6 gb now.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah. I could use wifi at home. I use data everywhere because I dont need to worry. I also used to download torrents on my android phone, cant do that on my new iphone. I think I would average about 5-6 gb now.

OK, that makes more sense. I inferred from your initial post that you'd just commit to "watching your activity". But if you are always using cellular, even at home and can leverage WiFi, I am sure that would cut a ton.

D4Fox

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013

Why go through the stress of watching your data and possibly unable to update a simple because you might go over. How about you find out how much verizon will milk for every GB you go over. They just cant milk you now that giving up your unlimited just so you can get a phone every two years at a lower price is not worth it to me.

I think you should try to keep your unlimited at all cost until verizon find a way to take it away from you.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Why go through the stress of watching your data and possibly unable to update a simple because you might go over. How about you find out how much verizon will milk for every GB you go over. They just cant milk you now that giving up your unlimited just so you can get a phone every two years at a lower price is not worth it to me.

I think you should try to keep your unlimited at all cost until verizon find a way to take it away from you.

I plan on keeping it but it sucks shelling out $800 for the latest and the greatest. I bet there's something in small fine print that let's them screw you over somehow.

flipdippy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
I agree with others who say keep the unlimited.

Fact is - the high margin high growth in smartphones is over. At this point, anyone who wants one has one. The only ones who don't have one either don't want one, can't afford one, or would rather go prepaid.

Toss in the fact VoLTE is getting nearer and that every passing month T-Mo and Sprint become better networks, and the future means that:

1. Keeping people on contracts is extremely important for VZW/ATT, because
2. Prices are definitely going to go down as T-Mo and Sprint become more competitive and have to attract new customers on price if the networks and devices are on par, and
3. Once VoLTE is real, the only thing you're going to pay for is data.

So keep your plan, smile, and wait for the day in the next 6-18 months where a really better option becomes available from VZW before you agree to a new contract.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I agree with others who say keep the unlimited.

Fact is - the high margin high growth in smartphones is over. At this point, anyone who wants one has one. The only ones who don't have one either don't want one, can't afford one, or would rather go prepaid.

Toss in the fact VoLTE is getting nearer and that every passing month T-Mo and Sprint become better networks, and the future means that:

1. Keeping people on contracts is extremely important for VZW/ATT, because
2. Prices are definitely going to go down as T-Mo and Sprint become more competitive and have to attract new customers on price if the networks and devices are on par, and
3. Once VoLTE is real, the only thing you're going to pay for is data.

So keep your plan, smile, and wait for the day in the next 6-18 months where a really better option becomes available from VZW before you agree to a new contract.

Thank you sir. Sounds good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.