Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Does anybody have any information on when Onyx 2.8.0 is going to be released for Mavericks? I thought it would be released during the beta period like it was for Mountain Lion, but they only hinted way back in June that it would be coming soon and it never did. It doesn't really matter that much, but I was just curious why nobody has wondered about it. You think they could have released a beta by now. They have been releasing a bunch of new versions for Mountain Lion, but not a single version has come out for Mavericks yet.

On a side note, the discussion about Mavericks in general has been very little compared to previous versions. I feel like a very small percentage of people are actually following the new releases now in this new rapid release cycle. Of course, it doesn't help that iOS 7 is the big subject right now.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I don't think there's much point in releasing a utility which is designed to help people who are uncomfortable with the Terminal when the OS hasn't been released, except to Developers and Apple invited seeders.

As for discussing Mavx, everyone who signed Apple's NDA should not be discussing it at all.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
On a side note, the discussion about Mavericks in general has been very little compared to previous versions.

Because in general, there is not that much to discuss. The end-user changes are fairly small.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
They posted this on the forums:

"Yes but only after the finale version of Mavericks.
There are always lot of differences between the last beta and the finale version of OS X and I prefer to use the finale version of Xcode (not yet available)."

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It cleans out OS X. Some of the cleaning you can do manually (browser cache etc), but some of it is a little deeper. It is just an all-in-one app.

I don't think the term "cleaning app" does OnyX justice. It is more of an in-depth system maintenance app, designed primarily for OCD nerds who like to have fine tuned control over maintenance scripts/jobs, but don't want to remember a hundred or so terminal commands. :D

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I don't think the term "cleaning app" does OnyX justice. It is more of an in-depth system maintenance app, designed primarily for OCD nerds who like to have fine tuned control over maintenance scripts/jobs, but don't want to remember a hundred or so terminal commands. :D

It also allows you to tweak the system.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
The reason I use it: It's the only thing I've ever found which lets me disable the "alert bounce" in the dock. And I imagine I'll get at least three posts telling me how to disable the application-launching bounce effect, but I don't mean that, I mean the other one. The thing where when a background app pops up a dialog box, the application icon does a sort of jump and then bounces smaller distances, pretty quickly.

Long story short, I have sensory processing issues sometimes, and the erratic movement utterly wrecks my world. I can't think while it's happening, and the intervals between bounces are short enough that I can't recover. In general, after several bounces, I've been able to click on whatever it was and mash keys madly to make it STOP HAPPENING.

I would kill for an option to replace that with an alert mechanism which was slightly less disruptive of my admittedly fragile mental state.

djoliverm

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
He said he's working on it, but that was months ago...

http://www.titanium.free.fr/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1667#p5402

I'm sure it will be out soon, such a great tool. I've used it also for clearing up my "open with" duplicates in finder. Right now I would need it for this problem I'm having where my MBPr hangs on "AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized", and someone else was able to fix that problem with Onyx. Lol. FML.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Download isn't available yet, but it will be out soon.

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 1.18.01 AM.png

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Nay

:(
On 2 Macs here, 0S X 10.9, Onyx leaves the desk a mess after running the Automation operation pane with only a few options checked, maintenance scripts, web cleanup, delete logs, and delete Misc. (( The Recent items option is the culprit!)) By mess, I mean all icons disappear. A log out/in doesn't resolve it, but a reboot restores everything. Running the Cleaning panel, Misc. does not cause this issue.
Update: Version 2.8.1 doesn't fix this issue (bug report sent).
Not cool yet XX:cool:XX.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.