Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Unibox, a Messages-style email client that entered public beta back in September, is now available for download from the Mac App Store.

Aiming to revolutionize the email experience, Unibox is designed to make email more personal through an organizational system that groups emails by contacts. The app's interface is divided into two panes, with the left side displaying contacts and the right side displaying all messages that have been exchanged with a particular person or website.

uniboxemail1.jpg
Unibox is a people centric email client that organizes your messages by person. In contrast to the tedious to-do list that email is today, Unibox allows you to concentrate on actual communication and makes email fun again. Once you got used to it you'll never want to go back.
Emails are composed within a single window, eliminating the concept of separate compose windows utilized by existing apps like Mail. Received attachments are readily available, displayed in a grid view, and the app also supports additional features like simple account switching and multiple aliases.

Unibox supports all IMAP accounts and works with both Mountain Lion and Mavericks. It can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chat-Like OS X Email App 'Unibox' Now Available in Mac App Store

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
There is definitely room for improvement over the Mail.app in Mavericks. It's been slow for me. (I've been using Airmail, which is a great app.)

I'll be interested to see the reviews on Unibox as well.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Tried the beta, was pretty good (except all the views exempt for people view were useless, and it was hard to easily find old unread email). Seems expensive considering Airmail is 2$.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Does airmail allow you to use different sender emails such as mailbox for iphone since I have multiple emails in my gmail account

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Too simple. I tested the Unibox beta and closed it 10 minutes later.

Tested the Airmail beta back then and using all the time. When available in MAS it was an instant buy.

Unibox $9.99 vs Airmail $1.99

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
$10 for an email client that did not support Exchange during beta? Huh?

I did use this during beta and was very underwhelmed to the point launch price should have been tied to an incentive, like $2 for now and then ramp it to $10 after a week.

And like already mentioned by someone else, I've been trying Airmail and like it a lot.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I tested this out in beta but found it to be somewhat awkward.

I found it didn't work for 3 reasons:
-I keep things in my inbox as reminders (they not are done as I read them)
-Many emails come from companies/are alerts. These didn't really make sense in unibox.
-It gives the impression that your inbox is bottomless/ there is no end point. It's hard to get a scale of time.

I did like the conversation view though. It was better than box Sparrow's and Airmail's.

I now use Airmail and am very happy with it. It got an update today too.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How does it handle group emails?

Is there a demo available? If this works as well as I imagine it could, I'll gladly fork over $10 for it, but I'd rather be reassured it'll work for me before I pay anything.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My problem with these third party email clients is that yes, they provide quite good features, but if you have a large mailbox, they bog down really quickly.

I loved Sparrow, but it was pretty much unusable most of the time. Whilst there are features that I'd love in the native Mavericks mail app - it's the only Mac mail client I've been able to find which can cope with my 15GB mailbox.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Compared to hop

We'll if the developers respond faster than the developers of Hop, that would be an improvement. I was 48,000th in line (I'm not exaggerating). After a week, I am 45,000th! So I should finally be able to use the app sometime around March. I hate when developers do this sort of thing.

Bitmin1991

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2013
And the point is? There are better options available and even the default Mail app is better than this.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
My problem with these third party email clients is that yes, they provide quite good features, but if you have a large mailbox, they bog down really quickly.

I loved Sparrow, but it was pretty much unusable most of the time. Whilst there are features that I'd love in the native Mavericks mail app - it's the only Mac mail client I've been able to find which can cope with my 15GB mailbox.

I'm using mailbox with two accounts: one of 17 GB, one of ~6GB.. works awesome. Not to say you should change or anything, just that some apps seems to have it worked out :)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I found it didn't work for 3 reasons:
-I keep things in my inbox as reminders (they not are done as I read them)
-Many emails come from companies/are alerts. These didn't really make sense in unibox.
-It gives the impression that your inbox is bottomless/ there is no end point. It's hard to get a scale of time.

I had the same impression. The metaphor of the conversations does not always work, especially not with e-mail. When I opened the beta for the first time, it made absolutely no sense to me. Neither is Unibox capable of organising your e-mails, which means that you will not be able to use folders effectively and empty on your inbox. There is also no support for rules, as far as I know. I think it would have to fit a very specific and casual workflow, but it's not mine.

I would love to ditch Apple's Mail any time. But it's the only neat e-mail client with Exchange support. I really liked Postbox, but it failed at that point too. I hope to see Mailbox for the Mac too, if the iOS app ever supports something else than Gmail.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
After Sparrow I've switched to AirMail. One 8GB account, and one at 5GB. Everything works like a charm. AirMail is fast, beautiful and with a lot of features.

At 2$ its a no brainer for me :)

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I had the same impression. The metaphor of the conversations does not always work, especially not with e-mail. When I opened the beta for the first time, it made absolutely no sense to me. Neither is Unibox capable of organising your e-mails, which means that you will not be able to use folders effectively and empty on your inbox. There is also no support for rules, as far as I know. I think it would have to fit a very specific and casual workflow, but it's not mine.

I would love to ditch Apple's Mail any time. But it's the only neat e-mail client with Exchange support. I really liked Postbox, but it failed at that point too. I hope to see Mailbox for the Mac too, if the iOS app ever supports something else than Gmail.

Airmail has Exchange Support - that's what I'm working with at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.