Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An image of what might be a MFi (Made for iPhone) controller from computer peripheral manufacturer Razer has been leaked on Twitter by @evleaks, who has been known to provide reliable images in the past.

razerkazuyofront.jpg
The enclosure controller, reportedly named the Razer Kazuyo, appears to wrap around the iPhone, adding face buttons, shoulder buttons, and a directional pad on either side of the phone. This layout is similar to other iOS game controllers such as the Logitech Powershell and the MOGA Ace Power, which were both released in last month. Unlike both controllers however, the Razer Kazuyo includes the ability to tilt the iPhone up, allowing for better viewing angles and easier access.
razerkazuyoback.jpg
It is not known when exactly the Razer Kazuyo will be released, but it is likely that it will be compatible with a growing list of iOS games upon availability. Currently, games such as Dead Trigger 2, Asphalt 8: Airborne, and Bastion offer controller support, with additional developers pledging to build controller support into their apps now that controller hardware is available to consumers.

Article Link: Images of Razer 'Kazuyo' Game Controller Leaked

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Raising the screen up like that seems like it would make the controls awkward to reach... maybe if it raises up above the controls and then tilts up (think GameBoy DS or SP) it might work well...

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Tried playing one of the Final Fantasy games for iOS recently and put it down after 5 minutes because I didn't like not seeing the whole screen. I might actually go for this depending on how much it costs and what it is compatible with game-wise.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I don't really play games on my phone but this actually looks pretty nice. I think all phone game players are going to buy at least one of these. I bet my commute to work starting in January is going to have a lot of folks playing games with these devices.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wow, my son was asking me about this. I can't wait to get it for him! It will be good if Apple Designed their own Controllers.

I'd love to see it too. IMO, most Apple users trust/like/buy Apple hardware far more than any 3rd party accessory; so if Apple made their own game developers would get on-board a lot quicker too.

This one looks better than the others (to me), but I'd still prefer to see a narrower, more comfortable design.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Still no joy for iPad gamers.

True - this patience thing is a b***h, I'd have thought there'd be many more options for controllers for the holiday season than there are, guess the whole thing is just going to take a bit longer. Can't wait to get one of these for my mini - think it'll be great fun.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Reasons I won't buy a wraparound-style controller

1. Incompatible with iPad
2. Incompatible with (future/possible) ATV gaming
3. Incompatible with future iPhones not even a year away.
4. Incompatible with iPhone cases
5. I don't want to dock/undock my phone for every game

I want a universal bluetooth controller for a reasonable price. The one major downside would be you have to set your device down, but for those of us that only play games at home this isn't an issue.

Even better would be if someone made a "transator" box that you plug in and it connects to both iOS devices and PS/Xbox controllers and maps the buttons according so that they work together.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'd love to see it too. IMO, most Apple users trust/like/buy Apple hardware far more than any 3rd party accessory; so if Apple made their own game developers would get on-board a lot quicker too.

I don't know why people think Apple would be good at making game controllers. If there is one thing they are not good at hardware-wise, it's making decent input devices (aside from trackpads, of course.) I could see how an Apple-designed one might help adoption, especially if it looked cool, but I wouldn't expect it to be any good.

Companies like Logitech and Razr have been making great gaming input devices for years.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I checked out the hardware on the Logitech and the other dual stick one (I forget the brand.) The logitech one felt fairly solid, but having no analog sticks was a huge miss. Still felt like it could easily snap in half.

The one with the dual sticks felt really cheap. At a $50 price point I would consider it, but at double that it is just too cheap feeling. Maybe they could build a $40 one without the battery inside. The other problem was the analog sticks - they are similar to the 3DS which is good, but they have almost zero travel. Basically that means it only acts as a slightly more accurate d-pad - any direction but either on or off.

They had a third xbox-style controller that was much larger, that one felt a ton better. Still ergonomically not as good as an actual xbox controller, but felt more worth the price.

I think we just need a catalyst from Apple themselves - games on Apple TV. Maybe their own hardware to bring up the quality of third party devices and increase their relevance. Right now they are too niche to hit a decent price/quality ratio.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No analog sticks.

Why?

Also all i want is a bluetooth controller dualshock copy that works with iphone and ipad for 40$.

Will any company provide anything like that?

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Hopeful

Looks like a 3rd pic got dropped from the article but the tweet had one more showing the other side of the controller. I'm hopeful Razer can do something cooler than the previous offerings. Also hoping the drop the battery and make the controller cost a bit less than the others that seemed overpriced.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Finally a real gaming company makes a controller. Razer stuff is generally top notch. If you ignore some of the kinks that usually happen with most products

----------

This controller also looks like it has a speak built in. Thank god, because the iPhone's speaker design doesn't work for ***** when it comes to games

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I've kind of wanted to get an iCade 8-Bitty controller for the past year, but never brought myself to it because I knew I'd barely use it. But I've checked to see how much they're selling it for every so often.

I've noticed in the past 1-2 months that the price for it went way down, like clearance level near-half-price, (and I surprisingly still didn't think it was worth buying), and now it seems to be completely unavailable on their site.

So I would think, and I much hope, that they're going to release a revised MFi version at some point soon. I really like the design of it -- like an NES controller with SNES buttons -- and it's likely the controller I would get if it was compatible with all of these MFi games.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
What a mess.

Every one of these controllers seem to have a different configuration.
What a total mess.

Are game devs supposed to make configurations to support *all* of the hardware controllers that get released?

Also, am I missing the app store search filter that tells you which games support hardware controllers?
Sure would be nice.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Raising the screen up like that seems like it would make the controls awkward to reach... maybe if it raises up above the controls and then tilts up (think GameBoy DS or SP) it might work well...

Would be nice if the controller's buttons let you move through the game's menus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.