Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5c_store_hero-250x280.jpg
The majority of online orders from mobile devices on Christmas day were placed by iOS users rather than Android users, according to a new report from IBM. 23 percent of total online sales on Christmas in the United States were made from iOS devices, while just 4.6 percent were made from Android devices. Overall online traffic from iOS devices was at 32.6 percent, compared to 14.8 percent for Android.
As a percentage of total online sales, iOS was more than five times higher than Android, driving 23 percent vs. 4.6 percent for Android. On average, iOS users spent $93.94 per order, nearly twice that of Android users, who spent $48.10 per order. iOS also led as a component of overall traffic with 32.6 percent vs. 14.8 percent for Android.
iOS users also spent nearly twice as much on their online orders, with the average order coming in at $93.94 compared to $48.10 per order from Android devices. When comparing tablets to smartphones, consumers made more purchases via tablets (19.4 percent vs. 9.3 percent) on smartphones and paid slightly more than smartphone users.

Overall online sales were up 16.5 percent in 2013, with mobile sales surging up to nearly 29 percent of all online traffic for a year-over-year gain of 40 percent.

IBM's data was gathered using its IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark, which analyzes data from approximately 800 retail sites in the United States. The company saw similar sales numbers during Black Friday, where iOS was responsible for 18.1 percent of sales with an average order amount of $127.92, compared to 3.5 percent and $105.20 for Android.

Article Link: iOS Remains More Popular Than Android for Holiday Shopping in the U.S.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Apple is so dead....

On a serious note. How many were just people replacing an iPhone vs switching... thats the more important thing here.

Its numbers reported for users shopping ON their devices versus shopping FOR devices.
Apologies if you are asking a totally different question.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Apple is so dead....

On a serious note. How many were just people replacing an iPhone vs switching... thats the more important thing here.

This article is the amount of money spent while browsing on iOS vs Android devices for online sales, not how much was spent buying iOS or Android devices.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
So this would support the notion that people who buy iPhones tend to have more disposable income. I suppose that makes sense given the number of free low end android phones that people with less disposable income buys. I would wager those users who buy the Galaxy S4 or other high end android phones spend just about as much as iPhone users on other purchases.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Its numbers reported for users shopping ON their devices versus shopping FOR devices.
Apologies if you are asking a totally different question.

He can be excused for not getting this from a first reading, it was confusingly written. I had to go to the source article to be sure about what was being said here.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
He can be excused for not getting this from a first reading, it was confusingly written. I had to go to the source article to be sure about what was being said here.

Not really. The headline might give you that impression, but the first sentence of the article is clear that it's about the amount of shopping done from devices. People seem to be commenting just based on their impression of the headline without even reading the summary, much less the original article (kind of like Slashdot for those of you who know, except we're apparently not even reading the summary now :)).

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
hmmm...

Not sure if I buy these statistics, I'm seeing more and more people with Android devices where I am. It seems like for every 5 or 7 annoying giant android phone carrying people, I'll see 1 or 2 folks with iPhones.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Great news.
Google can trot out number after number after number of Android users but the reality is some feature phone Android user in Africa is meaningless.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Nothing new here, however the US is no longer the biggest market, so in the larger picture for Apple, not a very meaningful metric.

Biggest marketing in terms of what?
Winning the United Stats is the only meaningful metric.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
So this would support the notion that people who buy iPhones tend to have more disposable income. I suppose that makes sense given the number of free low end android phones that people with less disposable income buys. I would wager those users who buy the Galaxy S4 or other high end android phones spend just about as much as iPhone users on other purchases.
So what exactly do people do on their android phones if they don't shop, don't buy games and apps and they don't surf the web?

Are the majority of Android phones lower end models being used mainly as dumb phone replacements to mostly talk and text and maybe do some instant messaging?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not sure if I buy these statistics, I'm seeing more and more people with Android devices where I am. It seems like for every 5 or 7 annoying giant android phone carrying people, I'll see 1 or 2 folks with iPhones.

They're from IBM. Probably more reliable than individual antidotes.

----------

Nothing new here, however the US is no longer the biggest market, so in the larger picture for Apple, not a very meaningful metric.

But it probably is the biggest market where people spend money.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not really. The headline might give you that impression, but the first sentence of the article is clear that it's about the amount of shopping done from devices. People seem to be commenting just based on their impression of the headline without even reading the summary, much less the original article (kind of like Slashdot for those of you who know, except we're apparently not even reading the summary now :)).

No, really. Headlines should establish the material that follows. A clear first sentence also helps greatly. Such as,

"According to an IBM report, users of iOS devices placed more than five times as many online holiday orders as Android users, and spent nearly twice as much per order."

Now nobody is confused, even if they choose to read no further.

Last edited:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
So what exactly do people do on their android phones if they don't shop, don't buy games and apps and they don't surf the web?

Are the majority of Android phones lower end models being used mainly as dumb phone replacements to mostly talk and text and maybe do some instant messaging?

I think there's enough evidence pointing to iOS devices being used to a higher degree than 80% of the Android models. Maybe Nexus/Galaxy users are right up there in usage patterns. My personal use is this: I have a 5S and an iPad that I do my real activity on, and I also have three $10-$20 prepaid Android doorstops (never activated on cellular) that have one purpose in life- to serve as torrentbots on public wifi.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
PC vs Mac, XBox vs Playstation, IOS vs Android. It used to be VHS vs Betamax and Sega vs Nintendo but I will give the same response now as I did back then.... If it works for you and you are happy enough with it.. Who *********g cares!!!!

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia

Like someone has already pointed out, it's about online shopping. So all it's really saying is more people shop online using their iPhones. It's like saying more people play Angry Birds on an Android device and saying it's more popular.

Useless article really...

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
No, really. Headlines should establish the material that follows. A clear first sentence also helps greatly. Such as,

"According to an IBM report, users of iOS devices placed more than five times as many online holiday orders as Android users, and spent more than twice as much per order."

Now nobody is confused, even if they choose to read no further.

Sorry about that -- I didn't realize it was confusing, but I've altered the headline and first sentence a little to hopefully clear things up a bit.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008

I was stuck in an airport for a couple days recently, and I found the opposite true. iPhones and ipads everywhere, hardly any android.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Total nonsense. The US is by FAR where most of the smartphone PROFIT is made. I guess you worship at the church of market share. Back in reality, the number of Android phones sold in India and China to people who can't afford data, apps, or shopping is completely meaningless.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

For US retailers iPhone users are a more lucrative target than Android users. That is a meaningful metric for them & explains why retailers put development priority on iPhone apps not Android. That is the point one should draw from the article. But it really only reconfirms data previously made public.

The article had nothing to do with Apple except that they make the phone. It's not a market share article it's a which users spend more $ shopping online w/ their phone article.

----------

Not sure where you live but in general population areas like airports (ATL,DCA,BWI,BOS,MSY,LAS,LAX), restaurants, sporting events & such I see far more iOS devices than Android. In fact probably in opposite proportion to what you see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.