Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

commac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
When I play movies from my late 2013 2.3GHZ 15" connected to my appleTV over AirPlay movies play as though the TV had a 30GHZ refresh rate or the videos are low fps. It is especially noticeable on fast moving movies.

Bandwidth shouldnt be a problem as I am using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on the mac and the Apple TV is also hard wired into the router. Everything runs perfectly smooth using an i7 Win7 box with the ios AirVideo app.

Anyone notice the same thing or know of a tweak to make AirPlay work better? I see the same choppiness over AirPlay with Quicktime playing mp4s and VLC playing 7gb MKVs.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I see the same choppiness over AirPlay with Quicktime playing mp4s and VLC playing 7gb MKVs.
You must be talking about AirPlay Mirroring? Because neither QT nor VLC can do direct AirPlay streaming, AFAIK.
That's not the proper way to watch movies and can't be compared to AirVideo from iOS. Because mirroring involves decoding and re-encoding the movie, which is completely unnecessary, if the movie is already in proper format (AVC video stream).
The only way to see movie properly using AirPlay Mirroring, is to use iTunes for playback. It is clever enough to detect Mirroring active and resets it to normal AirPlay streaming while watching the movie.

commac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
You must be talking about AirPlay Mirroring? Because neither QT nor VLC can do direct AirPlay streaming, AFAIK.
That's not the proper way to watch movies and can't be compared to AirVideo from iOS. Because mirroring involves decoding and re-encoding the movie, which is completely unnecessary, if the movie is already in proper format (AVC video stream).
The only way to see movie properly using AirPlay Mirroring, is to use iTunes for playback. It is clever enough to detect Mirroring active and resets it to normal AirPlay streaming while watching the movie.

Mavericks extend full screening Quicktime and VLC makes it seem like its trying to be a decent solution but not quite there. My solution was to use Beamer.app nice simple and smooth.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Mavericks extend full screening Quicktime and VLC makes it seem like its trying to be a decent solution but not quite there.
Doesn't matter! Maverick's full screen extension is technically still AirPlay Mirroring (or Intel QuickSync if you prefer so).
Meaning that it will do a hardware encoding of your full screen/desktop. If you see a frame from your movie on the screen, means it was already unpacked and decoded from the file by QT or VLC or any other playback app. So - in this case you perform movie decoding into full RGB frame and subsequently encode it again for AirPlay.
Compare that to a simple movie AirPlay, where you just let the video file (which, btw is already encoded, i.e. compressed) fly out of the network connection to the receiver/renderer.
Beamer.app can do the same, if the stream is already in proper format (AVC aka H.264 aka MPEG-4 Part 10, irrespective of the container format - like MP4, MOV, MKV etc) or does the transcoding on the fly, if it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.