Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iWork for iCloud web apps (via 9to5Mac), introducing an iOS 7-style "flat" redesign that includes a revamped look for the document library and template selection screen in Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. In addition to a new look, all three apps have also gained several new features, including the ability to add a password and share password protected documents with other users.

keynote.jpg
Continuing its efforts to add collaborative features to iWork for iCloud, Apple has also added new options to view files shared by other users within each app.

Each app has also received upgrades to bring the software more in line with Apple's iWork Mac apps. Pages now supports floating tables, page numbers, page counts, and footnotes, along with keyboard shortcuts for resizing, rotating, and repositioning objects. Keynote offers the same keyboard shortcuts and support for floating tables, and all three apps have gained rich formatting of text in table cells and bug fixes and stability improvements.

Apple likely has plans to introduce additional updates to iWork for iCloud in the near future, bringing the iOS 7-style design to all elements of the apps. iWork for iCloud continues to lack some notable collaborative features, including the ability to track changes and comment on content.

The iWork for iCloud software is available to all users for free and it can be accessed through Apple's iCloud.com website.

Article Link: Apple Updates iWork for iCloud Apps With Flat iOS 7 Design, New Features

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Look at all that empty space. I sure hope that's only because it's showing the theme picker, and that the regular interface actually uses the available real estate.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Hmm. I wonder if this points to the window style that OS X 10.10 may have?
or maybe just for the web?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Been using iWork in the cloud heavily and it's been wonderful. Helping my fiancee with her resume and working on it together in real time is such a treat. Just hope these features come to the Mac at some point.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Been using the new Pages Mac app to create proposals for my clients and its been great! Now that the online versions have password protection I might start making them available online. Haven't really used the share feature yet. Just been exporting PDFs. I hope as revisions are made my clients can just review the online version rather than me having to continually send new documents and keep up with which is the latest.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
When you are actually in document mode, it is still iOS 6 style and the UI elements aren't even updated for the retina MacBook Pro.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Hmm. I wonder if this points to the window style that OS X 10.10 may have?
or maybe just for the web?

I can already see the 1000 posts threads for the iOS 7 style OS X 10.10... Going to be a hot debate.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Nice

Glad to see the updates. The additional features are good. No interest in the collaborative functions, I'm a writer and 'I Verk Alone', but for those that do it's good. I wish they'd improve the iOS keyboard. Right now I am torn between Pages with it's iCloud integration and WriteRoom with it's nicer keyboard.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I think the rate at which Apple is updating iWork for iCloud shows a level of commitment that we haven't seen with any of their online services previously. We used to only see yearly/bi-yearly updates. This makes me very excited for where this will be this time next year.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Look at all that empty space. I sure hope that's only because it's showing the theme picker, and that the regular interface actually uses the available real estate.

from 9tomac.com ... it looks like the empty space is used for notes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 2.50.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 2.50.48 PM.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 262

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Yes. Here are two screenshots of the updated Pages and Numbers running in full screen mode on a 15" Retina display (downsized). They were looking much like this before this update too, with the property pane making use of the width on wide screen displays.

Edit: Oops, I see I happened to pick two apps you specifically weren't asking for. :D But yes, Keynote looks much the same, making full use of the available space. The presentation is zoomed to fit the area next to the properties pane and there are no real "empty margins" to speak of. I could have zoomed into the page in Pages to get rid of those there too.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2014-01-23 kl. 20.50.24.jpg
    Skärmavbild 2014-01-23 kl. 20.50.24.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Skärmavbild 2014-01-23 kl. 20.55.15.jpg
    Skärmavbild 2014-01-23 kl. 20.55.15.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Slowly but surely! I do enjoy the iWork in he cloud, makes working on my Mac and iPad nice.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
They are iterating at an astonishingly rapid rate, if they keep it up it won't be long before this is a real alternative to Google Docs!

griffd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
cannot open documents editted here with the latest Pages for Mac

I just editted a doc with the new beta, and now I can't open that same doc in the latest version of Pages for the Mac. I get this error:

You need a newer version of Pages to open this document.

Does this mean an updated Mac version is imminent? If so, their timing/execution is off.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
I think the rate at which Apple is updating iWork for iCloud shows a level of commitment that we haven't seen with any of their online services previously. We used to only see yearly/bi-yearly updates. This makes me very excited for where this will be this time next year.

It's really incredible. They clearly have something they're aiming for and that means big changes on the horizon.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden

Not to be like that, but this is a beta product, missing a lot functionality and still have a fragmented designed (overview iOS 7 look, opened document iOS 6).

Yes, it's great that they are working hard on this, but they aren't exactly speedy about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.