Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jonathan Zufi, author of the coffee table book "Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation" and the man behind the Shrine of Apple site, has created a new website that includes photos of Macintosh computers and portables from Apple's early years.

macintosh128k.jpg
To celebrate Mac's 30th birthday, I've created this micro site for all the world to enjoy. In 2009, I started taking photos of every Apple product ever made since 1976. Then I turned them into a really big photo site. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane, and I hope that the Macintosh's anniversary brings your happy memories of your own experience with Apple.
Divided into four sections, the site focuses on classic Macs like the 1984 Macintosh 128K and the 1987 Macintosh SE as well as portables like the 1991 Macintosh Powerbook 100 and the 1992 Macintosh Powerbook Duo 230.

There's also a section on the Macintosh II and LC, Apple's lower-end consumer computers introduced in the late 1980s and 1990s, and a section entitled "Other Awesome Macs" that shows off products like the 1993 Macintosh TV, the 1992 Macintosh Quadra 950, and the "Flower Power" iMac G3 from 2001.

flowerpowermacintosh.jpg
Each photo is accompanied by a detailed description of product taken from Wikipedia, giving website visitors a quick history of the iconic computers that gave Apple its start. The full site, which has more than 35 photos and product descriptions, is well worth visiting.

January 24, 2014 marks the 30th anniversary of the initial unveiling of the Macintosh. In celebration of the event, Apple executives Phil Schiller, Craig Federighi, and Bud Tribble interviewed with MacWorld to discuss the Mac and Apple CEO Tim Cook has plans to speak with ABC news about the anniversary tomorrow night.

Some of the original Macintosh development team, including Daniel Kottke and Mike Markkula, will hold an event with the Computer History Museum on January 25 to celebrate the anniversary as well. That event will take place at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California, where Steve Jobs originally introduced the Mac.

Article Link: 'Celebrate the Mac' Site Offers Photos of Vintage Macs in Celebration of 30th Anniversary

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Nice piece of art! I do miss those beige boxes! lol
My first interaction with Apple was my sisters lle in the early 80's!

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
already got the iconic book, at least this new site is better then the old one.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I used to be a hard-core Mac-hater. (Remember the 90s when they were so overpriced? Combine that finding myself in an environment that shoved Macs down my throat, even for tasks they weren't best for.)

But even then, I secretly coveted a PowerBook Duo, a PowerBook 520 or a Mac LC. It's amazing to remember how awful most PC hardware design was back then--and the Mac designs of the 90s hold up to this day!

(As do most. But not the G3 Tooth and "speed holes" G4! Yikes. To say nothing of F____ P____ iMacs.)

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Out of all the colours of iMac G3 they chose the flower power one, the most hideously tacky????

Is it because the f*^* up colour matches the new UI trend? Oh lord I can only imagine how the new version of iMac will look like...

They could make by the way a red version of those and sell them for 1,000,000

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
That was a nice site (got all nostalgic seeing the SE and Color Classic, and some of the II series), but it had a few bugs in it. The IIfx picture is shown twice (first time labeled as the II), and the G4 MDD picture is swapped with the regular G4's picture. Also saw one unlabeled photo in the last set.

I almost wish we could have some more color in Mac design again. The translucent side with the "G3" showing through on the blue&white G3 Tower... nice effect.

It also struck me how much the new Mac Pro resembles the Bose subwoofer from the Twentieth Anniversary Mac.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I truly wish there was a special order program at Apple to buy a new Mac that uses these old, beautiful designs. I'd even take it if all they offered was a base model 11" MBA for the hardware side.

I miss my old Pismo the most, of all the Macs I've owned.

powerbookpowerpcg3-level1-2.jpg

"All these years, all these memories, there was you. You pull me through time."

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It also struck me how much the new Mac Pro resembles the Bose subwoofer from the Twentieth Anniversary Mac.

I tried making a quick comparison picture, and I think I got the dimensions right...

tam_nmp_by_pakaku-d73hiv5.jpg

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I remember my first Mac it was a used Mac Plus. All those days spent playing "The Art Of War". I still have my Mac IIsi sitting in my basement. I may set it up and turn it on for old time's sake to celebrate 30 years of Mac.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I always wish Apple would cram modern components into the original Mac case and sell it for a limited time.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I miss my old Pismo the most, of all the Macs I've owned.

Funny. Pismo was nice but it didn't excite me like the TiBook. I remember I drove from DC to the Wilmington DE CompUSA to buy my TiBook when it first came out. It was the only store in the region that had one for immediate purchase. Fortunately since it was DE it was tax free so that negated the cost of gas to get there.

----------

I always wish Apple would cram modern components into the original Mac case and sell it for a limited time.

I don't think I could go back to using a 9" screen on a daily basis.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Cool site. Seeing the Apple Network Server is interesting. It's to bad Apple turned away from business machines. I know so many 'business people' that have MacBooks and love them...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The photo of a Flower Power iMac brings back fond memories of my days in the hippie commune.

Actually, I borrowed the iMac and collected the costume and decorations specifically to pose for this photo. Groovy!

Attachments

• Q_ultimate_hippie.jpg
    Q_ultimate_hippie.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 144

theharpster

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
1984, what a year...

Bought this 128K Mac thru a "connection" at Apple for $1,300 as I recall in 1984. Keyboard, mouse, original floppies and original soft case in a box somewhere around here! Still works. I think I've had just about every mac that's been made and still have most of them. :eek:

Attachments

• 128KMAC.jpg
    128KMAC.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 129
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.