Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today expanded the lineup for its Apple TV set-top box, adding a new Red Bull TV channel with free action sports content carrying branding from the energy drink company. As noted by Variety, the channel includes coverage of live events, as well as curated playlists and on-demand content.

red_bull_apple_tv.jpg
Red Bull TV live programming, films, shows and clips are now available to Apple TV users worldwide for free. Launched in 2010, Red Bull TV features "inspirational entertainment programming" designed to promote the beverage and its high-action brand image. Content includes live global events and sports, music and lifestyle entertainment.
Red Bull TV has also been available as an iOS app for several years.

Red Bull TV is just the latest in a long line of channel additions for the Apple TV over the last six months, with the most recent major expansion coming last month with the addition of Watch ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, and KORTV.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Red Bull TV' Action Sports Channel to Apple TV

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
How about we get to choose which channels to add...you know...like a channel store.

What's so hard about this Apple?:mad:

I don't want these channels...I want Netflix, The Blaze, Amazon.com, and maybe a few others...thats it. Let people develop for this already.

I hope the WWE Network is a glowing success. I don't watch it anymore, but at least they are doing the right thing.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I'm going to need a few Red Bulls to get through all this new content... ;)

Also, without looking, I'm really hoping the icon doesn't have "WATCH" plastered to the top of it.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
The Canadian rule of thumb:

For every 15 channels added to the US Apple TV, add 1 channel to the Canadian Apple TV, and remove two thirds of it's content.

So much potential for this damn Apple TV. I want to see a NFL app, an MLB app, and NBA app, etc. Each with a simple subscription service. I can dream...

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Great. Another channel to hide.

Apple, please update the Apple TV UI. The current model just doesn't work anymore.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Great now everyone in the uk needs a TV license to own an Apple TV. *thumbs down*

* live TV broadcasts require a TV license. Catch up TV doesnt. For those that cut the cord to the bbc license the Apple TV now makes them illegal and open to heavy fines. Way to go team apple :(

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Apple TV UI is a mess. Slow to navigate. Impossible to organize. I'm thinking an iOS 7 inspired update is coming this year.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Seriously, quit forcing channels on us and let us choose what we want. Also, change the stupid interface. It's so cluttered now.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
It has already been reported that there's a new Apple TV in the works. I'm placing my bets on this summer.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I'm glad Apple's expanding the content with more channels. Why? Because it is quickly showing how horrible designed Apple TV is. It was slightly okay when it was just 3-4 channels.

Why are they going after all of those content if this is just a *hobby*. They need to get over it and release new update with A7, 802.11ac, and an app store, along with a completely redesigned interface. Hopefully, not as white as iOS 7.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Apple is taking its time alright. Come on.

The Apple TV is begging for an App Store.

Even if you can't get the content providers (cable companies) to agree, you can at least let us use wireless controls and play apps via our Apple TV without any lag.

Come on!

I'm usually a patient person, but Apple has so much low-hanging fruit here it's ridiculous.

At the same time, I wonder how many things apple will release this year.

2014:
- new Apple TV?
- wearable?
- new MacMini?
- new Displays? Retina?
- larger iPhone?
- 11.8" device (iPad and/or MBA)?
- usual updates to Macs, iPods, iPads

There is so much for Apple to do and yet we hear nothing. Their "doubling down on secrecy" is working but it's getting to a point where it's not only pissing off investors but also MacRumors's users. :D

oh......first world problems I know.........

Last edited:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Great. Another channel to hide.

Apple, please update the Apple TV UI. The current model just doesn't work anymore.

Exactly. There is an update coming I just hope it's soon. The current UI is a mess with all these new channels.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Apple TV UI is a mess. Slow to navigate. Impossible to organize. I'm thinking an iOS 7 inspired update is coming this year.

iOS 7 inspired wouldn't make the TV interface better. Plus, the light colors are not a good idea on a tv interface. Apple really needs to re-think how the UI works. Slapping some new paint on the UI isn't going to solve any of the problems. It's sad that the Roku 3 has a much better UI than Apple TV and Roku clearly does not have a great UI team (but they do understand their users).

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I just want Apple to fix the Netflix pq bug!

It's almost impossible to watch on even a small TV (32").

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Really???

Really???...The Red Bull Channel? More "non-content" for the aTV.

They need to add some real stuff...and soon.

How about an NBC Sochi Olympics channel where you can watch all of the competitions without have to mess around with airplay mirroring from an idevice?

:eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple really needs to update this UI. Hopefully an update to Apple TV is coming soon. This interface is so outdated.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Apple really needs to update this UI. Hopefully an update to Apple TV is coming soon. This interface is so outdated.

I agree. It's hard to understand why they have any product in their lineup that doesn't have an outstanding UI.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Anyone have any experience with Red Bull TV? I assume there is no worthwhile content unless you are a teenage boy, but maybe I am wrong.

k1121j

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Yay

i hope i don't have to have a participating cable provider to use this new channel as my Metrocast docent seem to support anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.