Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded build 13C48 of OS X 10.9.2 to developers, marking the fourth beta iteration of 10.9.2. The release comes a week after the third OS X 10.9.2 beta, build 13C44, and a little over a month after the first OS X 10.9.2 beta.

13c48.png
The update is available to registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus on mail, messages, graphics drivers, VoiceOver, VPN, and SMB2. Earlier betas of OS X 10.9.2 began allowing Mac users to block people on iMessage and FaceTime, as can be done in iOS 7, and also introduced FaceTime Audio.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Build 13C48 to Developers

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Normally I'm in the "it'll be nice to have some fixes and polish" camp.

This time, there is a very severe bug that I and plenty of other people running 10.9 servers are having wherein the SMB server will crash with alarming regularity, necessitating manually restarting the process and rendering our Windows users very, very unhappy. (Actually, it'd be better if it just crashed outright; it instead partially hangs with high CPU use for a long time, so it doesn't get automatically re-launched for several hours, and bogs down the system to boot.)

Reports from beta testers are that 10.9.2 fixes this, which will prevent a lot of dirty looks from the Windows crowd at work, and a lot less "I can't access the server--reboot it. Again."

Please, hurry it up, Apple.

(And before you ask why I'm on 10.9 instead of staying with 10.8, 10.8's SMBX was literally unusable--half the Win7 clients tickled a bug that would hang Adobe and MS apps when reading from the server. I had actually disabled it and installed Samba as a workaround, but user management was painful.)

jan1024188

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Normally I'm in the "it'll be nice to have some fixes and polish" camp.

This time, there is a very severe bug that I and plenty of other people running 10.9 servers are having wherein the SMB server will crash with alarming regularity, necessitating manually restarting the process and rendering our Windows users very, very unhappy. (Actually, it'd be better if it just crashed outright; it instead partially hangs with high CPU use for a long time, so it doesn't get automatically re-launched for several hours, and bogs down the system to boot.)

Reports from beta testers are that 10.9.2 fixes this, which will prevent a lot of dirty looks from the Windows crowd at work, and a lot less "I can't access the server--reboot it. Again."

Please, hurry it up, Apple.

(And before you ask why I'm on 10.9 instead of staying with 10.8, 10.8's SMBX was literally unusable--half the Win7 clients tickled a bug that would hang Adobe and MS apps when reading from the server. I had actually disabled it and installed Samba as a workaround, but user management was painful.)

Apple should release 10.9.2 sooner for that bug alone. The crashes are awful, and unacceptable to wait 3 months for a patch.

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Ha! We are dealing with the Exchange with Mac Mail bug. I also can't wait for them to release this to the general public. I'm lucky enough to test this and work with Apple to fix the issues. I'm hoping this build is polished off to GA. The last few builds need a little "polishing".

Apple should release 10.9.2 sooner for that bug alone. The crashes are awful, and unacceptable to wait 3 months for a patch.

slime73

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Has anyone checked whether 10.9.2 exposes any new OpenGL extensions / functionality?

If you download the OpenGL Extensions Viewer and go to the "OpenGL", "Extensions", or "Report" tabs, you can see a list of what your system supports.

For reference, here is what's displayed in Mac OS 10.9.1 on my system:

D9JKXCv.png

Uz6m7Ml.png

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Direct download links are now available for this build on apple's developer forums for the delta and combo updates.

These allow a developer to get them through a browser instead of the mac app store.

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
Anyone able to check through the extensions to see whether the video card drivers have been updated along with other extensions?

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Does anyone know whether or not HiDPI support is provided for external 4K monitors?

OT-Mac

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Yes, couldn't agree more with you Makosuke, jan1024188 and bradhs! We too have experienced both the SMB bugs and the Mail Exchange bug (public folders just download the entire lot... Terabytes onto small SSD iMacs...).

Really can't understand how this can be so hard for Apple to test and fix. This should be part of their internal testing, not waiting for every systems admin to have to post bug reports.

We tried 10.9.1 on our Mac Pro server for exactly the same reasons posted by Makosuke, but alas, with the SMB bug so prominent, we rolled back to 10.8.

Currently we have to survive with a semi-working 10.8 and a virtual Windows Server for the critical files that cannot work with 10.8's SMB1 (Revit, some AutoCAD files etc that seem to require SMB2).

Hurry up Apple and fix this ASAP. Your corporate clients are losing faith in your ability to make anything other than iphones... Unfortunately, we can't just abandon the Windows machines entirely. We wish, but until AutoDesk AutoCAD/Revit come out with decent Mac versions (not half-attempts) this won't be possible.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Does anyone know whether or not HiDPI support is provided for external 4K monitors?

I doubt that, because Apple does not support 4K displays @ the moment.

Apple are selling a 4K monitor: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HD971LL/A/sharp-32-pn-k321-4k-ultra-hd-led-monitor

You are saying that Apple do not support the monitor they are selling?

Other 4K monitors, such as Dell, also work in 10.8.5 and 10.9.1 but only at native resolution.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
The update is available to registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.

That's not strictly true.

What is offered in the mac dev center is the seed note and the seed configuration utility. Delta and combo DMG updates (similar to the ones on apple's public software updates page) that used to be offered there for previous versions of OS X betas are no longer being offered there for Mavericks betas.

You update mavericks betas either through the mac app store after installing the seed configuration utility, or use the direct links on apple's developer forums.

As an example, here is a screen snapshot of a mountain lion 10.8.5 beta on the mac dev center replete with dmg files for the delta and combo updates:

Download-OS-X-Mountain-Lion-10-8-5-Build-12F30-Developer-News-372325-2.png

No such DMG files appear there for delta and combo mavericks beta updates.

Last edited:

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
That's the theoretical hardware support. It does not mean that OS X 10.9.0-10.9.2 is the best OS for 4K displays.

The BEST OS for 4K displays... let's throw some subjective squabble out there rather than answering the actual point.

It clearly proves that Apple supports 4K displays (MULTIPLE 4K displays.) Some aren't supported and there will be subjective flaws...etc as usual, but there is support for 4K displays. Saying there isn't is incorrect...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I hope it fixes the lack of a three-finger swipe in the finder as back & forth.

That's a bad idea. Three finger drag allows you to move things. If you swiped with three fingers over the finder window, you would risk moving files by mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.