Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is looking to hire an Exercise Physiologist to oversee cardiovascular fitness and energy expenditure tests at its main headquarters campus. The new position was posted to the company's job board today (via 9to5Mac).
Design and run user studies related to cardiovascular fitness & energy expenditure, including calories burned, metabolic rate, aerobic fitness level measurement/tracking and other key physiological measurements.

Candidate will be knowledgeable about the physiological effects being measured and how to avoid potential inaccuracy and experimental error due DOE flaws and/or reference monitor (i.e. metabolic cart, etc.) usage issues.

The role will need to apply relevant knowledge to the design of products and their testing/validation through user studies.
iwatch-concept-nike.jpg
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton
The requirements of this position suggest the employee will be working on Apple's rumored fitness-focused wearable. The company has been making a strong push into the medical and fitness field with recent hires like sleep expert Roy J.E.M Raymann from Philips Research and Michael O'Reilly, M.D., former Chief Medical Officer of pulse oximetry company Masimo.

This elite team of medical researchers is presumably designing Apple's iWatch along with fashion experts like Former Yves Saint Laurent CEO Paul Deneve, who was hired last year to work under Tim Cook on a "special project". Apple's fitness band may connect to the iPhone via Healthbook, a fitness app expected to be released alongside iOS 8.

Update: Apple has removed the job listing from its site.

Article Link: Apple Fuels iWatch Rumors by Seeking Exercise Physiologist to Lead Fitness Tests

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Now that design is a lot more like what this thing should look like. anybody think its possible (or not possible) to build the battery cells directly into the straps, and have them be flexible/adjustable?

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Personally getting excited about the iWatch. Don't know how many people share my opinion !

Also curious as to what Samsung will deliver later this month - my fandroid friends will have a lot to say to me that's for sure

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I think that they're gonna blow us out of the water with this thing. Knowing Apple, they're probably putting the time and thought into all of the basics that nobody else is.

While all other companies rush their stuff to the market with the longest lists of terribly implemented features, Apple is taking their time. I mean, of course we'll have to wait and see. But I expect good things.

Last edited:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Perhaps they could invent something that encourages people to consume less calories than they use, without the need to permanently damage their knees.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
its a cool mockup.

this is a mockup of supposedly an ipad in 2009
itabletMockupNew.jpg

knowing apple design language by Mr. Ive, this iwatch mockup could actually be similar to the real thing.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Love the mock-ups. Since those type of bands are popular/accepted, if form factor can remain similar to Nike Fuelband this would be a big hit. I would probably buy it, but would honestly prefer a more watch look.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
If they are just now hiring QA type positions, I would take that to mean it won't be released until next year (yes, despite Cook's comments last year). They're going to get these newly hired-s to get iWatch up to snuff in < 10 months? I doubt that.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I really hope Apple avoids the standard watch shape and goes with something like the mockup.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Apple , if you're reading this , PLEASE HURRY I SERIOUSLY CANT WAIT

Although it's best to skip first gen but I'll make an exception

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
You're getting excited about something you know nothing about? Life just isn't doing it for you, then.

Hahahahahahahahaha I'm sorry that I don't have a life like yours # but was just my opinion. My apologies if I have upset you in any way. I'm just a student, I don't have much to look foward to besides passing.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Wow. If Apple pulls off anything close to the depicted design and functionality (based on the screens), it will be the next game changer.

I love my watch and won't replace it. But I'm lucky enough to have two wrists.
:)

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
anybody think its possible (or not possible) to build the battery cells directly into the straps, and have them be flexible/adjustable?

Entirely possible, the Nike Fuelband, which the above mockup takes most of it's design cues from, already incorporates the design....

Nike Fuelband teardown

WM0105-001_10E-300x236.jpg

With this in mind, along with Apple hiring several key people from the Nike Fuelband team, I really do think we're going to see Apple's much cooler take on the Fuelband sometime soon.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Like that mockup I might get a watch after 20 years of abstinence. Looks nice ! And if there is health monitoring in (inc sleep) it's a buy.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
All these hires picking up pace in the last month or so, I don't think we will see the iWatch until end of the year or even until 2015.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
The more I'm hearing about this lately, the more excited I get. I currently have a Fitbit Force and I really like it. I could only image what Apple will come up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.