Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS7-small.jpg
A new report from 9to5Mac claims iOS 7.1 will indeed be released to all iOS users in March, representing the first major revision since iOS 7 was launched publicly in September of last year.

Sources note the next version of iOS 7 will continue with the visual improvements, minor tweaks and bug fixes reported in earlier beta versions seeded to developers.
While recent reports are pegging a launch sooner than later, reliable sources say that Apple is currently planning to ship iOS 7.1, the first significant update to iOS 7, in March. The iOS 7.1 update is said to not have any "secret features," and it will basically be what we have been told to expect by the past five betas: some user-interface tweaks in the Phone app, an improved Calendar app, speed improvements, and numerous bug-fixes.
BGR originally cited a March release date for iOS 7.1 back in late December, but a follow-up report earlier this week seemed to hedge on that claim somewhat by noting that the update was expected in the "coming weeks." Slowing increments of build numbers from the developer beta versions suggest the software is nearing a public launch, but whether that date lands in late February or the early March is not clear.

Previous iOS 7.1 betas have included various improvements such as a new "Button Shapes" option in Accessibility, keyboard tweaks that indicate shift and caps locks, a new event list view within the Calendar app and refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages app. The unreleased iOS in the Car feature has also been refined in the iOS 7.1 beta testing period, but it is unclear when the functionality will be made available to the public.

Details on features in past beta releases can be found in our previous beta posts: Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, Beta 4 and Beta 5.

Article Link: Apple Again Rumored to Release iOS 7.1 in March

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
a bugfree software will be a really revolutionary. I dont think there was something like that

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I love how even though nobody has a good track record of predicting minor iOS release dates, and all the BGR predictions that MacRumors loves have proven wrong so far (especially their Beta 3 predictions), MacRumors continues to publish these meaningless made-up stories. Shows how desperate people can get for clicks these days.

7.1 will be released when it is ready (based on beta 5, that won't be for at least a few more weeks).

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
iOS 7.0.3

----------

I love how even though nobody has a good track record of predicting minor iOS release dates, and all the BGR predictions that MacRumors loves have proven wrong so far (especially their Beta 3 predictions), MacRumors continues to publish these meaningless made-up stories. Shows how desperate people can get for clicks these days.

7.1 will be released when it is ready (based on beta 5, that won't be for at least a few more weeks).

It's "Macrumors" not "MacFacts"

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Release in March as it will contains a lot info about new products? Anyway, I'm not so in a hurry to have a caps lock looking different :)

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Ugh, so it's at least four more weeks of Springboard resets, black screen issues, Safari crashes, and phantom emails. Yay.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Basically, if you upgrade diligently (as Apple tells you), half of every year, you have suboptimal product (until bugs get fixed).

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
just throwing it out there but is this rapid one year release cycle really the best one?

it seems it takes half a year after the release to get some of the major issues taken care of and then of course the day after the next os is released you might as well have a device from another company if you didnt upgrade.

to me it feels like they are chasing their tail.

its like you pay pretty high price for a device and get to be a beta tester for the 2-3 os-es it supports

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
just throwing it out there but is this rapid one year release cycle really the best one?

it seems it takes half a year after the release to get over some of the major issues taken care of and then of course the day after the next os is released you might as well have a device from another company if you didnt upgrade.

to me it feels like they are chasing their tail.

its like you pay pretty high price for a device and get to be a beta tester for the 2-3 os-es it supports

yes, exactly my feelings. And the old adage "no one forces you to update" is false - Apple actively forces you with software updates requiring the latest OS. FCPX 10.1 and iWork apps require Mavericks - if you collaborate with other people on latest versions, you HAVE to update.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
did they improve the music app? that's really the only thing i liked better in ios6

ios 7 version sucks if you got alot of albums from the same artist or to just repeat one album from an artist instead of all of them or randomly.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

And here you are clicking...

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Maybe an event in March, with Phill presenting us another "SNEAK PEAK" at what they are working at(just like in case of mac pro) :D

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Still not crazy about a lot of the visual tweaks. Personally, I think they are a step backwards. Oh well... at least it should be more stable.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
hmm, maybe an event in March? New Apple TV and iOS in the car demo?

For some reason I just imagined them driving a car up on stage for the demo! Would be interesting to see them do a demo on non-Apple hardware. Talk about a lack of Apple control.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

Well it's a rumour, and this is MacRUMOURS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.