Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

099621_larger.png
As promised, Dong Nguyen, the developer of Flappy Bird, has removed the popular game from the App Store. Flappy Bird has been the number one downloaded free app on Apple's App Store for almost a month. The game was generating $50,000/day in revenue from in-app ads.

Nguyen had previously expressed frustration at the attention he has received since the sudden popularity of his game. In a tweet last week he said "Please give me peace.", and yesterday, he announced that the game would be removed from the App Store today.

Flappy Bird no longer shows up in search, developer's app listing, and Top Free games. The direct link for the game still shows in the App Store at the time of this writing, but is unavailable for download.

flappybird.png

In subsequent tweets, he said the removal was not due to legal reasons and that he was not interested in selling the game.

If you already have downloaded the game, you can still play it even though its been removed from the App Store.

Article Link: 'Flappy Bird' Removed from App Store by Developer

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
What a drama! I think it's a stunt to get more people to download it before it's gone from the Appstore "temporarily".

Last edited:

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
I just downloaded this app like 15 minutes ago after all of the hoopla. What happens now if you delete this app from your phone?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i guess i should have downloaded it to iTunes on computer

oh well. he'll try and sell it and then it will be passed along.

i think i will switch to airplane mode when playing just so he won't be bothered with any ad revenue

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
$50k a day, I'd just hire a secretary and an accountant, (P.S only contact me in case of emergency). :D

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
I wonder what sort of "trouble" would be enough make a game publisher renounce US$50k PER DAY in revenue.

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
How fragile does one have to be to let internet attention push you away from a successful project? As someone mentioned yesterday, it's not like the developer was getting harassed in the streets...just get a new email address and collect the money for a rainy day fund.

Seems silly to let an opportunity like this go to waste, but to each her own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.