Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

camera_plus_5_icon.jpg
Popular photography app Camera+ was today updated to version 5.1, adding several refinements to The Lab, which is the photo editing section of the app. It's now possible to tap and hold on adjustments to reset them and there's a new boost feature that increases the intensity of filters to 200 percent.

The app also includes a new setting to allow users to select which section to use first when editing photos and Camera+ now supports widescreen photos with a new 16x9 shooting mode.

Several bugs have been fixed in the new version of the app, including an API bug that prevented apps like Day One from working with Camera+.

Camera+ is an all-in-one camera app that's been a popular choice for iPhone photography since 2011. It supports both in-app shooting and editing and includes a rich feature set for manipulating photos. The app can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Camera+ Updated With Photo Editing Improvements, Widescreen Shooting Mode

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
They were citing known filmmakers in the iOS release notes, but in that case, I think it's a bit silly to do it when they've only got 16:9 to present as a new aspect ratio. Cinemascope (nowadays 2.35:1) is very common in film, and I've found that this along with careful composition can help a ton in giving the "film feel". Yes, even with mobile photography provided the light is good. :)

16:9 is still largely just widescreen TV and monitors, not nearly as dominant in film. 1080p HD movies are actually often something like 1920x800 (2.4:1) and then black borders.

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
They were citing known filmmakers in the iOS release notes, but in that case, I think it's a bit silly to do it when they've only got 16:9 to present as a new aspect ratio. Cinemascope (nowadays 2.35:1) is very common in film, and I've found that this along with careful composition can help a ton in giving the "film feel". Yes, even with mobile photography provided the light is good. :)

16:9 is still largely just widescreen TV and monitors, not nearly as dominant in film. 1080p HD movies are actually often something like 1920x800 (2.4:1) and then black borders.

Correct. When Philips Europe released an ultra-widescreen TV a handful of years ago, I wanted one. Vizio came out with one in North America, but it's like 3x the price of a similarly sized 16:9 TV. I wonder how many of my blu-rays are encoded with the letter boxing built-in and which aren't, plus what kind of zoom options are on the TV to adjust for the built-in black.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting to see 16x9 coming in. I had been wondering recently why nothing gave the option when most screens we use, even the iPhone since the 5, use that aspect ratio. I was equally interested to see it as the default on my Lumia 925 .. although ironically it has a 15x9 display. Still, every other screen I work with is 16x9 so it is nice to have things in sync.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
i used this app on my iPone 4, but since upgrading to the 5s and purchasing aperture, I haven't really used this at all. Is there something where this is better? Maybe I will go back and try it again.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Interesting to see 16x9 coming in. I had been wondering recently why nothing gave the option when most screens we use, even the iPhone since the 5, use that aspect ratio. I was equally interested to see it as the default on my Lumia 925 .. although ironically it has a 15x9 display. Still, every other screen I work with is 16x9 so it is nice to have things in sync.

For what it's worth...

Scout Camera has had 16:9 since it was first released over a year ago (I'm not 100% sure, but I think it may have been the first) - and 16:9 is one of the main reasons I made it. Unfortunately I had bad timing releasing it - right when the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 were coming out, so most people in the press were too busy covering that stuff to notice and the app got lost in the noise.

Other popular camera apps have had 16:9 for a while now too (KitCam, ProCamera).

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
i used this app on my iPone 4, but since upgrading to the 5s and purchasing aperture, I haven't really used this at all. Is there something where this is better? Maybe I will go back and try it again.

Well, see, for Aperture you need a computer...

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Well, see, for Aperture you need a computer...

Yes, I find that seeing a picture on a large monitor allows me to do way better edits. I do some edits on the iPhone or iPad using iphoto or the magic wand in the camera app. However, anything serious, really requires a big monitor (or I guess it could be that I just have bad eyesight :) ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.