Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As the title says...Only wifi...Mac's Phones iPads etc. Heres mine on my rMBP:

My IP5s and iPad

Attachments

• rMBP Wifi.jpg
    rMBP Wifi.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 518
  • IP5S.jpg
    IP5S.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Ipad4.jpg
    Ipad4.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
This is my PC over Wi-Fi. I'm paying for 7 mpbs (max in my area) and often get these awful speeds. CenturyLink is TERRIBLE.

3331846010.png

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I really feel your pain...that's truly terrible, no other ISP in your area?

It's awful, I think it should be against some law to have speeds this much under the price that we're paying for. There are other ISPs in my area but they're either just as awful, or their customer service and downtime makes it not worth it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It's awful, I think it should be against some law to have speeds this much under the price that we're paying for. There are other ISPs in my area but they're either just as awful, or their customer service and downtime makes it not worth it.

I guess we here in the UK are lucky...my package is broadband only, gives me 125 down and 11 up, and seldom misses a beat now that infrastructure upgrades have been completed.

They do a 60 a 30 down as well, but I've got do used to this that I couldn't go back. Before Virgin a Media cabled the lane...I had Talk Talk. 4 down if I was lucky, AND they wound up throttling me too...when Lion came out it took me two days to download it.:eek:

This us the fastest consumer broadband in the UK, but it isn't cheap £39 per month, but worth it In my opnion. I hope you get a decent provider soon.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011

Is there a satellite option in your neck of the woods? Just got to thinking as there are parts of the UK mostly in national parks etc. where cabling isn't allowed. Folks there use Sky which seems to work a lot better than your present speeds.

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Yes, but over wifi? What's the speed directly from the modem? There could be all kinds of external reasons for sucky wifi speeds, including crap hardware at both ends.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Is there a satellite option in your neck of the woods? Just got to thinking as there are parts of the UK mostly in national parks etc. where cabling isn't allowed. Folks there use Sky which seems to work a lot better than your present speeds.

There is, I haven't looked into it though. You are getting great speeds! 125 down and 11 up is fantastic. :D

Yes, but over wifi? What's the speed directly from the modem? There could be all kinds of external reasons for sucky wifi speeds, including crap hardware at both ends.

The speeds directly from the modem are around 3 to 4 mbps. I've been needing to upgrade the router for a while now, it's been around for a couple years now...

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008

Just signed up for VMedia here in Ontario, Canada. Paying for 25MBPs max download and 2MBPs max upload. Pretty bang on there and for $39.95 with no download limit, can't complain :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
There is, I haven't looked into it though. You are getting great speeds! 125 down and 11 up is fantastic. :D

The speeds directly from the modem are around 3 to 4 mbps. I've been needing to upgrade the router for a while now, it's been around for a couple years now...

I'm happy but they are increasing our speeds again, 152 DL don't know about the upload but it should be around 15:). I don't get 152 though..why not 155 or 150?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 301

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I'm happy but they are increasing our speeds again, 152 DL don't know about the upload but it should be around 15:). I don't get 152 though..why not 155 or 150?

Jealous. I'd die if I got an email from CenturyLink saying the same thing! :D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Jealous. I'd die if I got an email from CenturyLink saying the same thing! :D

The sattelite option may be your only other alternative unless ISP's have plans to cable your area? I'm guessing you're out in the sticks?

I'm ind of, and up to 2 years ago was stuck with copper wire only. I cobbled together a dish / sky system until Virgin cabled the lane....we didn't even have gas here until 4 years ago.....now it seems Virgin are just hammering home their advantage....BT can only provide 30 down ( I know, fine in your situation) so they keep ramping our speed up.

I can download, verify and install a copy of Mavericks in 12 mins.!

----------

BTW

The downside to all this is that friends know I have fast BB and frequently drop over to DL stuff...:D

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
The sattelite option may be your only other alternative unless ISP's have plans to cable your area? I'm guessing you're out in the sticks?

I'm ind of, and up to 2 years ago was stuck with copper wire only. I cobbled together a dish / sky system until Virgin cabled the lane....we didn't even have gas here until 4 years ago.....now it seems Virgin are just hammering home their advantage....BT can only provide 30 down ( I know, fine in your situation) so they keep ramping our speed up.

I can download, verify and install a copy of Mavericks in 12 mins.!

----------

BTW

The downside to all this is that friends know I have fast BB and frequently drop over to DL stuff...:D

I'll call around and do some research and see if the other ISPs have improved. I'll also check out the satellite ISP in the process. Another major ISP in my area is Charter Communications (cable company) which I switched from years ago due to crappy service quality. They seem to offer a 30 down 4 up plan in my area which has improved since we last had them. I might have to give them a chance again. We'll see though.

Awesome that they're working and actively improving the lines and your speeds! Those speeds are pretty fast! :D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I'll call around and do some research and see if the other ISPs have improved. I'll also check out the satellite ISP in the process. Another major ISP in my area is Charter Communications (cable company) which I switched from years ago due to crappy service quality. They seem to offer a 30 down 4 up plan in my area which has improved since we last had them. I might have to give them a chance again. We'll see though.

Awesome that they're working and actively improving the lines and your speeds! Those speeds are pretty fast! :D

Well, the guy a couple of posts above is with them, and seems to get way better speeds than yours. Virgin used to be called cbletel, and hey were the laughing stock of everybody, crap phone crap BB, crap TV...then Beardy Branson bought them and they are number 1 in the UK.

Guy must have spent a fortune on infrastructure , but it's sure paid off.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Verizon LTE, White Plains, NY. I was on a moving bus and that may explain the low upload speeds, but you get the idea.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the title said wifi. It's faster than my wifi network anyway, so I don't care, haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 270

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
After the recent increase ( free ) to 160 DL, I wasn't happy with the wifi speeds...I really shouldn't complain as I was getting 60+ DL on my phone, but I switched the 5GHZ channel to 40 and now get the speeds in the image. That's in bed, under the duvet too!:) The image is from my IP5S....My rMBP is pulling in 150+!

Attachments

• Wifi BB IP5S.jpg
    Wifi BB IP5S.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 294
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.