Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msbisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Modena, Italy
Hi,
at the moment I have an iPad 2 32GB Wifi+3G but I'd like to change it with the new Air or the Mini Retina. I use the iPad for watching videos on YT, for playing games. I also like photography so I'll use it for storing photography when I'm travelling.
Which iPad is better for me?
Are this iPads worth it?

sorry if I made ​​mistakes but my main language is not English :D

msbisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Modena, Italy
Viewing videos on the Mini Retina is ok or the screen too small? The main thing that I do with the iPad is this.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Viewing videos on the Mini Retina is ok or the screen too small? The main thing that I do with the iPad is this.

For me, it's too small, but I have bad eyesight. It'd be best if you can try them out at a store before you buy.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
the mini is small, but not that much smaller... theyre both 'portable' only in the sense if you have a bag to carry them. go for the air. the larger screen real estate is worth the extra $100

msbisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Modena, Italy
Thanks ;)
I've another question: is possible to use an external device that plugs into the iPad so I can transfer Raw from the CF card to the iPad?
Something like the Camera Connection Kit but for cf and with lightning.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I did exactly what you are proposing. Sold my 3 year old 32 GB 3G iPad 2 last month and bought a new rMini 64 GB LTE model.

I LOVE it! Perfect size, awesomely quick performance and I typically get 14-15 hours usage between charges with email and web surfing type usage.

Some of the major improvements were size, weight, Siri, faster cell data with LTE, better display, quicker response, etc. Interestingly, the base list price of the 3 year old 32 GB iPad 2 and the new 64 GB rMini were exactly the same - $729. I sold the iPad 2 with a couple of accessories for $280.

Very glad I made the switch.

msbisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Modena, Italy
I did exactly what you are proposing. Sold my 3 year old 32 GB 3G iPad 2 last month and bought a new rMini 64 GB LTE model.

I LOVE it! Perfect size, awesomely quick performance and I typically get 14-15 hours usage between charges with email and web surfing type usage.

Some of the major improvements were size, weight, Siri, faster cell data with LTE, better display, quicker response, etc. Interestingly, the base list price of the 3 year old 32 GB iPad 2 and the new 64 GB rMini were exactly the same - $729. I sold the iPad 2 with a couple of accessories for $280.

Very glad I made the switch.

I have a question: why did you buy the rMini instead of the Air?
Do you watch videos on the iPad?

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I have a question: why did you buy the rMini instead of the Air?
Do you watch videos on the iPad?

I was open to both, and spent time with each during 2 or 3 visits to the local Apple store. In the end, I chose the rMini due mainly to its size and weight. Much easier to carry, hold, and pack when out and about. The $100 price difference was not a consideration for me.

I'm not a big video consumer. Just the occasional YouTube or PodCast. I do not use my iPad to watch TV or movies.

msbisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Modena, Italy
I was open to both, and spent time with each during 2 or 3 visits to the local Apple store. In the end, I chose the rMini due mainly to its size and weight. Much easier to carry, hold, and pack when out and about. The $100 price difference was not a consideration for me.

I'm not a big video consumer. Just the occasional YouTube or PodCast. I do not use my iPad to watch TV or movies.

Ok, I'll go to the Store and I'll try both a lot.
But I'll probably go for the rMini for the portability.

Thanks to all

Best,
Matteo :)

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
You can use an accessory to transfer photos from your camera's SD memory card to the iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I use CF cards.. is the same?

I tried googling "compact flash card reader for ipad air” and there seems to be a variety of accessories that do it. I've never personally used one myself, so I can't say how well they work.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I find my iPad Air portable and I bring it everywhere I go...I watch a lot of movies on this and the bigger real estate is a major factor why I choose it over mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.