Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developer Subset Games today released its popular real-time strategy game FTL: Faster Than Light on the iPad, coming roughly a year after the title was released on Mac, PC, and Linux to much acclaim.

The game puts the player in the commanding role of a ship aligned with the Galactic Federation, tasked with getting vital data back to its headquarters. However, rebel ships are persistent in attacking the spacecraft, allowing players to engage in top down combat while maintaining and upgrading their ship with new weapons, crew members, and more.

ftl_faster_than_light1.jpeg
The award winning PC spaceship simulation game from Subset Games comes to iPad!

Key Features:
- Give orders to your crew, manage ship power distribution and choose weapon targets in the heat of battle.
- Pause the game mid-combat to evaluate your strategy and give orders.
- Upgrade your ship and unlock new ones with the help of seven diverse alien races.
- Hundreds of text based encounters will force you to make tough decisions.
- Each play-through will feature different enemies, events, and results to your decisions. No two play-throughs will be quite the same.
- Permadeath means when you die, there’s no coming back. The constant threat of defeat adds importance and tension to every action.
The iPad version of the game also includes the FTL: Advanced Edition expansion, which offers new ship systems, events, weapons, drones, equipment, enemy types, levels and more in addition to user interface improvements.

Our sister site TouchArcade reviewed the game, regarding the iPad version of FTL as the “definitive version”, crediting the title's touch controls and regarding them as more intuitive compared to a traditional mouse and keyboard control scheme. Overall, the title was noted as the perfect “play while you do something else game” and given a five star rating. The full review is well worth checking out, as is a video walkthrough of FTL which can be seen below.

FTL: Faster Than Light for the iPad is available for $9.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'FTL: Faster Than Light' Now Available for iPad with New Content

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Wasn't this a kick starter game? I heard it disappointed a lot of people because it didn't come with the features that people were pledging for.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Wasn't this a kick starter game? I heard it disappointed a lot of people because it didn't come with the features that people were pledging for.

Not quite, the developers (two guys, IIRC) were working in the games industry and decided they wanted to work for themselves so they started working FTL, using their savings.

They were almost finished, but needed a bit more cash so went onto Kickstarter – going from memory, but I think this is right – the target was $10K, but people pledged over $200K. They were able to finish the game as planned, but were able to expand it slightly – I think there was a longer soundtrack and they got someone to wrote events for the game and had more than they were planned.

I wasn’t a pledger but I follow a lot of Kickstarter projects and can’t recall anyone being dissatisfied with the finished project. If anything, FTl is a perfect example of someone showing an accurate representation of what they want to do (particularly as the game wasn’t near far from being finished) and delivering on it. From the various gaming forum threads I’ve read and participated on, response has been very positive in the main.

As I say, I didn’t pledge on Kickstarter but when FTL I bought the game straight away (so full price) and will be buying the iPad version without hesitation. Although I only dip into now and then, I thought that it would be perfect with a touch interface and it’s a neat game.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I had seen this game on the Mac App Store once and was mildly curious, but I don't really play games on my Mac. Coming to the iPad, that's a different story, so I wanted to watch that video but... boy is it painful. I'm not sure if the game looks really boring or if it's just him.

That being said, I'm a big fan of buying expensive games on the App Store when they're worth it. Sadly, such games are far and few between. It seems like the big game studios are still terrified of taking any big risks in the mobile space; they aren't creating new content, but rather porting existing content. I'm ecstatic to see a game like XCOM come to iPad because I would never have played it otherwise and have since enjoyed it immensely, and the slow release of the Final Fantasy catalog has been an absolute treat that I continue to salivate for, but why aren't any of these big companies putting resources into new IP for mobile games that aren't riddled with IAP?

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
This isn't the kind of game you should evaluate using video - it is really excellent imho.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I have this game via Steam. It is a really great, but constantly frustrating game. Expect to die a lot! Don't worry, you will just have fun doing it.

The great part about the desktop version is the healthy modding community. I've played the game in the StarTrek universe, and as a Firefly class ship from Serenity/Firefly.

The soundtrack alone is worth the $9.99, though I think you can actually download it for less via Steam.

----------

I had seen this game on the Mac App Store once and was mildly curious, but I don't really play games on my Mac. Coming to the iPad, that's a different story, so I wanted to watch that video but... boy is it painful. I'm not sure if the game looks really boring or if it's just him.

This game is really good. Try looking up several other people play it on the desktop version. Day 9 is pretty funny to watch, but is horrible at the game.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
It's a good game, I tried it and liked it, but didn't buy it - now with this update there's every incentive to fork over 10 bucks. I will buy it finally :)

Oh and for the love of all that is not spyware and stupid DRM, buy this game on GOG.com not Steam.

On GOG.com you get the Mac version as well as the PC version, just like on Steam, but without *any* strings attached. Steam is an unfortunate fact of modern PC/Mac gaming, but always check first on GOG.com for a game. :cool:

http://www.gog.com/game/faster_than_light

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
It's a good game, I tried it and liked it, but didn't buy it - now with this update there's every incentive to fork over 10 bucks. I will buy it finally :)

Oh and for the love of all that is not spyware and stupid DRM, buy this game on GOG.com not Steam.

On GOG.com you get the Mac version as well as the PC version, just like on Steam, but without *any* strings attached. Steam is an unfortunate fact of modern PC/Mac gaming, but always check first on GOG.com for a game. :cool:

http://www.gog.com/game/faster_than_light

Not sure what you have against Steam. It is a wonderful service as far as I'm concerned. I play games with friends and Steam makes this very easy. I also have multiple machines that I game from and Steam syncs my game progress. Plus, during the Steam Summer sale I get mildly aged great games for a song. So, not sure how Steam's DRM is screwing me.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I have bought (but not yet played) the iPad version. This is an EXCELLENT game based on playing it on Steam on my Mac - if you don't mind a hard game.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Not all games on Steam have DRM. FTL and others can be run without the client running. And of course there is offline mode.

While I have nothing against GOG, if I have the choice I go with Steam. I prefer Steam because it's convenient, and I like having as many of my games in one client as possible. The extra features such as achievements and trading cards only help.

What I do dislike is games that have additional DRM (like Ubisoft's uPlay). Unfortunately Steam can't do anything about it.)

There is nothing "spyware" about Steam, I'm not sure where you are getting that idea from. (Although that said, there is plenty to criticize about it--their support is abysmal, the Mac client feels like a Windows app, and they need to catch up to Origin in regards to returning games.)

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
A Must Buy Title

I missed the Kickstarter for this but bought the game in early 2013 on the recommendation of a friend. In 9 months of ownership I sank over 250 hours into this game. It is insanely addictive, explosively fun, and mercilessly difficult.

When the iPad version was announced, I picked up a used iPad Mini on Craigslist specifically to play FTL. I bought the iOS version first thing in the morning and - after a bit of a learning curve from the Steam version - it is every bit as exciting.

Call me a fanboy, sure, but it is only because of the sheer excellence of this game that I became one.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Not sure what you have against Steam. It is a wonderful service as far as I'm concerned. I play games with friends and Steam makes this very easy. I also have multiple machines that I game from and Steam syncs my game progress. Plus, during the Steam Summer sale I get mildly aged great games for a song. So, not sure how Steam's DRM is screwing me.

Steam is a DRM platform, so you don't actually own a copy of any game you purchase there. Steam also monitors you, your game, what hardware you use and how much you play and resell that information to make extra money.

Further, Steam is just a retailer and does not make sure your games can actually run or run correctly. They don't care, and offer no money back guarantee - unlike GOG.com for instance.

In the case of a game like FTL you can't play it with friends anyway. You can't sync your game progress. Also, rebates and heavy discount is not exclusive to Steam at all. If you can get a game both on GOG.com and Steam they'll have the same price always.

So yeah, not much to like about Steam really - it's a bother one has to live with, when games are exclusive to Steam, but when it's available elsewhere I can't think of a single good reason to give them my hard earned cash. :cool:

----------

Not all games on Steam have DRM. FTL and others can be run without the client running. And of course there is offline mode.

While I have nothing against GOG, if I have the choice I go with Steam. I prefer Steam because it's convenient, and I like having as many of my games in one client as possible. The extra features such as achievements and trading cards only help.

What I do dislike is games that have additional DRM (like Ubisoft's uPlay). Unfortunately Steam can't do anything about it.)

There is nothing "spyware" about Steam, I'm not sure where you are getting that idea from. (Although that said, there is plenty to criticize about it--their support is abysmal, the Mac client feels like a Windows app, and they need to catch up to Origin in regards to returning games.)

The thing is that if you buy a game on GOG.com you don't need a client. No client necessary, just download the game and install.

Forget clients.

And yes Steam is a spyware, it's just not very secretive about it - but it monitors everything it can about you.

As for some games on Steam not having DRM, well yes and no. If Steam goes down you can run the game if you have it installed in some cases, but if you don't you can't. You're locked into their client - which is essentially a platform onto itself.

If you buy a game from GOG.com you get the installer and are completely free from the website or any online requirement forever. The game is yours to own, install at your leisure and use with any computer you want or need - no account, client or anything required.

They also offer a money back guarantee if the game doesn't run on your computer. I get that Steam is convenient sometimes, but in cases of better alternatives, I can't see a good reason for supporting Steam and it's incredibly average, client based, often DRM'd, spyware-y and quite limited service.

And yes the Steam client is terrible. Somewhat worse than the website, though not by much.

It's quite amazing that neither the Steam client or the website can manage to show you what games you already bought when browsing - the non-client based GOG.com shows you always at a glance what you own and what you do not own.

On Steam you have to click every individual title to see this and when a game has dozens of DLCs it's just inexcusable. This is 2014. Steam is looking more and more like a dinosaur of a DRM'd web 2.0 past.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Our sister site TouchArcade reviewed the game,

How about leave them to the game reviewing and let this site steer clear of this kind of thing. I understand without paid advertising sites like this cease to exist. But there should be a limit to it.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
How about leave them to the game reviewing and let this site steer clear of this kind of thing. I understand without paid advertising sites like this cease to exist. But there should be a limit to it.
What paid advertising?

We are not paid for any articles we write. Ever. And if we were, we would disclose it prominently.

Reactions: WestCoastCommodore
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.