Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an extensive research note covering Apple's product roadmap for 2014, KGI Securities Ming Chi Kuo reiterated expectations that Apple is working on a ultra slim 12" MacBook Air but also revealed a new low-cost iMac in the works.

macbook_air_line-800x294.jpg
Kuo's predictions for the 12" MacBook Air match what was leaked in March from a reliable Chinese forum source. The new 12" MacBook Air will "redefine notebook user experience":

- Thinner than current models
- No fan
- Buttonless trackpad
- Higher resolution Display

Kuo first predicted this ultra thin 12" MacBook Air late last year.
We expect the unprecedented 12" model will boast both the portability of the 11" model, and productivity of the 13" model. The high resolution display will also offer the outstanding visual experience of the Retina MacBook Pro. The offering will likely be lighter and slimmer than the existing MacBook Air to further highlight ease of portability in the cloud computing era. We think the form factor will showcase a much improved clamshell structure, and that it will redefine laptop computing once again following the milestone created by the MacBook Air.
Besides the 12" MacBook Air, Kuo reiterates his earlier claim that a "low-priced" version of the iMac is coming. The new model will help compete with companies such as HP and Lenovo as well as grow market share in Asia.

The 12" MacBook Air is not expected until late 2014, while the low-cost iMac may come mid-year.

Article Link: 12" Retina MacBook Air and Low-Price iMac Likely in 2014

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Make plastic iMacs in the colors of the iPhone 5c. Make the same poster they did to advertise the colored iMac G3's. That would be awesome.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I hope the buttonless trackpad doesn't make it to the Macbook pros because I'm in the market for one this year and i really would hate the lack of button.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
fanless poopbook?, like wth are you going to able to do on that? a handbrake encode would make it xplode

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Sounds cool, Apple is definitely clinging to the Personal Computer idea, I respect that. Until a tablet as thin as the iPad can handle heavier tasks I'm happy with a laptop :)

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm joining in on the not having a button bandwagon, I personally hate having tap to click on.

Infact, on my MBA recently its decided that once in a while when I do tap, its a click, and thats annoying in itself! I think its one of the few things that should not go on a laptop.

Also, no fan - Prepare for kids buying this laptop, running hardcore games and wondering why their machines melted inside.

However a low cost iMac interests me, how would it be done and what would it (not) have?

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I'm definitely nay-saying the buttonless trackpad

tapping is horrid and prone to accidental clicks

Not at all. I only physically click the button when I'm running Windows in parallels 9 and it doesn't recognize my clicks well.

----------

I'm joining in on the not having a button bandwagon, I personally hate having tap to click on.

Infact, on my MBA recently its decided that once in a while when I do tap, its a click, and thats annoying in itself! I think its one of the few things that should not go on a laptop.

Also, no fan - Prepare for kids buying this laptop, running hardcore games and wondering why their machines melted inside.

However a low cost iMac interests me, how would it be done and what would it (not) have?

The whole point of the no fan is that it can handle the gaming without the fan. The iPad is a great example of a computer playing games that doesn't need a fan.

----------

Okay, sure, because apple chases the "low-end".

Apple didn't chase the low end in this case. They just replaced the iPhone 5 with something cheaper to produce that offered something they never offered before.

People were expecting something different :/

----------

fanless poopbook?, like wth are you going to able to do on that? a handbrake encode would make it xplode

I have no idea what you said... but think of it as an iPad with a physical keyboard, running an OS optimized for it.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The whole point of the no fan is that it can handle the gaming without the fan. The iPad is a great example of a computer playing games that doesn't need a fan.

The iPad mostly plays old games or games that don't compete with computer level games, Why do you think you only see the old GTA games from the first xbox on the iPad? Running anything remotely new would kill your computer.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Sorry to interrupt, but every day I come here looking for news about the new Mac Mini and every day I see every other single update... iphone, ipad... andriod... imac... macbook air...

Darn it! Where's the Mac Mini updates? I'm in the market for one!

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
It seems that there are already fanless notebooks on the market. I'm fairly excited about this one simply because if it's true this Air is going to have insane battery life. Apple is already really really good with battery life on most of the mobile lineup.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
No fan? This is definitely SJ's MacBook. Let's hope it's not the "beige toaster" that the Macintosh was eventually nicknamed.

(Yes, I know about the five years of product pipeline...)

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
The iPad mostly plays old games or games that don't compete with computer level games, Why do you think you only see the old GTA games from the first xbox on the iPad? Running anything remotely new would kill your computer.

Well, let's see what Apple has up it's sleeve with OS XI or OS X 10.10. It may have improved graphics performance and lowered power requirements with the new chips.

This could mean a Macbook that runs games as well as their Windows counterparts.

Plus, games are a waste of time and energy. We could be saving an African child from a live of slavery. Just saying. (and don't take me seriously here lol)

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I'm going to go wayy out on the limb and say that the new fan-less Macbook air and iMac will both use a variation of Apple's own A8 chip.
How else can they make them both fan-less and less expensive?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
No thanks to the lower cost iMac. What quality or specs are going to be sacrificed in the name of those cost? I do not mind if they do it the way they have with the iPhone 5s & 5c, with keeping the higher end iMac around for those of us who do appreciate it.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
I'm definitely nay-saying the buttonless trackpad

tapping is horrid and prone to accidental clicks

I echo this, 110%. People were saying there would be some form of haptic feedback with this kind of trackpad. I do not believe it though.

Other than that; I'm currently running a 11" 2012 Air, 2GHz Core i7 w/ 8GB of RAM & 128GB SSD. I'm just hoping the 12" version retains a 16:9 aspect ratio & MUCH increased graphics performance.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for a Retina Display; but not with integrated graphics. The Air is a solid all-round machine at present; I hope Apple do not duff it up by tunnel-visioniong the Air to be *just* a fancy light Photo editing + Internet browsing machine.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Cheaper 20" iMac could replace Mac Mini, with new design 24" and 28" models replacing current models. Could launch at WWDC to target education and back to school sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.