Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New photos showing what appears to be another case for Apple's larger-screen iPhone 6 have been posted by Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate]. While details about the case's exact length are unknown, the images are said to have come from a Chinese accessory maker and show a case designed for the next-generation iPhone, similar to cases pictured last week and those on display at the Hong Kong Electronics Fair yesterday.

iphone_6_silicon_1-800x600.jpg
The case feature slightly rounded edges, similar to the design of the iPhone 5c and consistent with design drawings said to be for the iPhone 6. Like other cases and in line with a claim from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the case also includes a hole for a button along the upper right side of the device, which may be the new location of the power button. Rectangular volume control buttons similar to the fifth-generation iPod Touch are also notably present.

iphone_6_silicon_2_annotated-800x600.jpg
Rectangular volume (1) and right side power (2) cutouts (Annotated by Nowhereelse.fr)​
Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to launch in two sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches. The majority of leaks so far have depicted the 4.7-inch version, as it is reportedly on track for a release this fall. Apple is said to have been running into production issues with the 5.5-inch version, with that model likely seeing a release later this year or early next year.

Along with a larger screen, Apple's next-generation iPhone is expected to include a thinner profile, upgraded A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and an improved camera featuring optical image stabilization. A report earlier this week from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also claimed that Apple is negotiating with carriers to increase the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.

Article Link: Another Alleged iPhone 6 Case Surfaces with Cutouts for Moved Power Button, New Volume Controls

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I dont Agree

They will never do the power button on the side thats probably a samsung case lol.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Not sure I understand moving the power button to the side. Is there a reason, or moving it just to move it?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
This phone is getting leaked like crazy. Normally I would call all this off as bull$hiit, but leaks have turned out to be correct in the past, especially the leaks about the iPhone 5's stretched screen size. It's even worse now because these are actually clear as day pictures.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Something I've never understood.

Who makes these cases?
Why do they make them early?
What do they base designs on?
Are they in talks with Apple?
Are they just going on the same rumours we've seen?

In other words, what does this really indicate to us? Just guesses by companies eager to get their cases to market as soon as the iPhone 6 is released? Actual concrete contracts with Apple to produce cases for the iPhone 6?

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
There is a possibility that this case, being that it has the rectangular buttons from the touch, could actually be a 5.5" touch. With the 4.7" size being for the iPhone 6.

That would give credence to the report from KGI Securities and also make a lot of sense being that the touch would benefit from having the extra large screen for games.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
They will never do the power button on the side thats probably a samsung case lol.

Actually, for large phones having the power button on the side works allot better. If you have smaller hands, it's already a pain trying to hit the power button on the top with one hand on the iPhone 5. Thankfully I have long fingers. If Apple is indeed making 5+ inch Phones, I would HOPE they put the button on the side.

Last edited:

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
I'm going to be really disappointed if Apple moves the power button to the side.
It's uneconomical and not user friendly; you always end up pressing it accidently on Android phones designed like that.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Not sure I understand moving the power button to the side. Is there a reason, or moving it just to move it?

The taller the phone, the harder to press a button on the top. I like it on the side for larger phones, never have problems accidentally pressing it.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Side power button? I guess it does make sense for a bigger phone.

Man, this is going to be weird. (Can't wait.)

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Hate power button on the side. I always seem to accidentally press it when using a Samsung in stores. Never will I want Apple have it on the side.

I like the placement, easier to sleep/wake with one hand. This is the price everyone pays for some who are clamoring for a larger screen.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
These rumors are coming fast and furious, does that mean an update sooner then later?

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004

So they can say some people can still use it one-handed.

Of those who've tried similar phones: some will like it as they don't need their other hand, others won't and will need their other hand anyway. And some will dislike accidentally pressing it because it's always under their fingers. As ever, you can't please them all.

As for the rumors, it's less double-down and more an express train.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I do really like the more boxy design of the 4/5, though earlier iPhones feel much better in the hand. I hope they don't make it too much like the iPod touch (5th gen), which I personally find way too thin and overall a giant design compromise (perturbing camera, less tactility in the buttons, etc.).

Please, for once, just keep the phone's thinness where it is, put in a bigger battery, and make it comfortable to hold. Do all of that before making it thin for sake of making it thin.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I have no problem with a price increase. Hey, they gotta eat. :apple:

What I'm not liking is the prospect of upgrading to a 4.7" in September, only to then see a 5.5" version a few months later, which is the one I really want. But then I don't want to wait possibly another 6-8-10 months for the 5.5" version and miss out on the already significantly larger screen all that time (4.7" vs. 4").

Are we looking at a repeat of the 3rd gen. iPad and then the 4th gen. came out only 7 mos. later?

My life is officially on hold until I can work this problem out by obsessively coming up with increasingly scarier scenarios that make me want to reach for my pipe.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
These rumors are coming fast and furious, does that mean an update sooner then later?

I wonder the same thing. Seems like a waste of their time.

I wouldn't expect case leaks from manufacturers until July for a Sept release...

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Yes... I sense a June release - apple simply can't wait all the way to September to FINALLY release a bigger phone. this should have been out LAST September.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

We have yet to see an actual phone. For all we know this case and that face plate could be for a new iPod touch.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
The taller the phone, the harder to press a button on the top. I like it on the side for larger phones, never have problems accidentally pressing it.

I guess. HTC uses a top power button, and I've never had an issue pressing it with one hand. For 5.5" it seems to make sense, not so sure on 4.5-7".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.