Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of the "Better" environmental campaign that was initially unveiled this morning, Apple has posted a video of its Apple Campus 2 project, displaying a series of renderings of the building along with some details on the site from campus designer Norman Foster.

Foster speaks on Jobs' inspiration for the campus, noting his love of both Stanford and the area that he grew up in. "The idea is to bring California back to Cupertino," said Apple's senior arborist David Muffly, who is in charge of the flora that will be added to Apple's campus.

Along with the video, Apple outlines its plans to make its second campus more environmentally friendly. The site will be "the most energy-efficient building of its kind," powered by 100 percent renewable energy sources, including a massive solar energy installation.

The company also plans to have huge amounts of open space, which will be accompanied by both fruit and shade trees, and commute alternatives will see 15,000 Cupertino employees using biofuel buses, public transit, bikes, and more instead of cars.

applecampus.jpg
The building itself is just part of the story. Just under 80 percent of the site will be open space, populated by more than 7000 trees -- including more than 6000 newly planted shade and fruit trees. Drought-tolerant plants will be used throughout the landscape to minimize water use.
While the Apple Campus 2 video shared by Apple was initially unveiled in October during a session with the City of Cupertino, this is the first time Apple has released the video in high quality to the public. Apple is hoping to complete its second campus by 2016.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Video Detailing Environmental Friendliness of Campus 2 Project

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Yawn.

It's not that I don't care about the environment. I do.

It's that most of this stuff makes no real difference, nor will it ever. I hate that Greenpeace and other groups use the force of public perception to get companies to do stuff like this instead of spending their time innovating and doing things that, through technological change, protect the environment.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Very nice. The planet sure can use more initiatives like this one: the less dependence on non-renewable energy, the better.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Yawn.

It's that most of this stuff makes no real difference, nor will it ever. I hate that Greenpeace and other groups use the force of public perception to get companies to do stuff like this instead of spending their time innovating and doing things that, through technological change, protect the environment.

I wonder how the world would be if everyone thought this way?

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I think it is interesting how they appeared to have mocked up full size slice of the building. Crazy amounts of money flying around.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y

Do you disagree with his premise?

Example: Apple is estimated to have spent $5 Billion on campus 2.

Common sense dictates that if this money was spent on researching more energy efficient assembly techniques, or sourcing more renewable materials, or developing more power-conscious devices it would have a better net impact on our environment than building a $5Billion building with a few bikes and "drought-resistant plants" would.

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core
Yawn.

I think it very much does matter. As Apple sets a new standard in being a role model of how we should use our environment, and thereby Apple sends that message along with their products that reach so many people around the world. This world desperately needs to be re-educated, and Apple sets the tone on how to do so, starting with the care of your environment.

You should yawn on Samsung's blog site. If you don't get the message Apple sends you, you're not worthy of their products ;)

:apple:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
You should yawn on Samsung's blog site. If you don't get the message Apple sends you, you're not worthy of their products ;)

And there we have it.

Are some Apple users so insecure that they have to mention Samsung at every opportunity?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

I took the time to watch that video because I felt, as a consumer, I should. However, I also know that Apple put a lot of effort into ensuring their suppliers such as Foxconn use legal, safe labour. Apple as a brand put a lot more effort into ensuring this than a lot of other massive names. Nike to name just one, who definitely use child workers and have awful working conditions.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Do you disagree with his premise?

Example: Apple is estimated to have spent $5 Billion on campus 2.

Common sense dictates that if this money was spent on researching more energy efficient assembly techniques, or sourcing more renewable materials, or developing more power-conscious devices it would have a better net impact on our environment than building a $5Billion building with a few bikes and "drought-resistant plants" would.

No, I disagree with the "one company won't make a difference" premise. Most, if not all companies should be more environmentally responsible. If everyone acted that way, it would make a more significant difference.

Edit: I actually misread his post and thought he meant technological advancement in apple's products. Whoops, haha. I agree there needs to be more innovation with green technologies.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil

From the video: "Benzene is widely used in various industries. Sporting goods, printing, and electronic products, as well as finishing materials contain benzene."

So, it's hardly and Apple-exclusively-ZOMG-DOOM!!!!! situation. Granted: Apple should do something about this, and it should do something as soon as possible (like today). But it's and endemic problem, pervasive to numerous companies in several industries. If you want to target Apple for this situation, don't forget to include all the other companies that indulge in the same behavior.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
keterboy said:
...If you don't get the message Apple sends you, you're not worthy of their products ;)

^^ That is so sad I am darn near at a loss for words. RDF in full effect. The way it works in the real world where most of us live is we decide if products are worthy of our dollars. Apple sells tech gadgets. They don't give them away to the worthy (what does that even mean... worthy:confused:).

You don't have to be worthy to walk into Walmart or Radio Shack to buy an iPhone. You just need cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Yawn.

Umm. They are using technological change to protect the environment. Aside from building efficiency, their data centers are 100% renewable energy. That's enormous, and helpful. Highlighting a culture of sustainabity is a welcome change in the era of conspicuous consumption. Every little bit helps. If more companies followed suit, we'd be in a lot better shape.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
gopnick said:
Yawn.

The world will be what we currently have because almost everyone are thinking this way. It's sad though. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.