Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hi all.

well i'm looking for some software that i can use to put a Forum on my site.

i want to stay away from PHP BB and vBulletin, all those big types of forums. and i need something that is free, or costs very little.

i've come accross Vanilla, it's OpenSource, Binary Bonsai has started using this, that's the first time i saw it. i like the look of it, it's simple, not clunky. that's the kind of thing i'm looking for.

i don't suppose there's any kind of forum that supports AJAX posting? now that would just be too cool. :cool: i guess Vanilla could be modded to support this...

also, i'm wondering what Gallery software people would recommend? right now i'm using Gallery2 and the WPG2 plugin to embed the gallery in WordPress. WordPress 2 is having some issues with the WPG2 plugin (or i should say that WPG2 is having issues with WP2) but that's only a matter of time before it's fixed. but i still wanted to see what people would recommend as a solution for having an embedded gallery in a WordPress site.

i hope people can help me out with some suggestions on simple, uncluttered forum and gallery software. :)

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
punBB is a very good lightweight piece of forum software. I've used it for a site or two in my day and it serves it's purpose. There are a lot of additional plugins you can use to add just about any feature you could think of, although I don't know if AJAX commenting is supported.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
ChrisWB said:
c
For forums, I've tried phpBB and SMF. phpBB frequently has security problems, but I like its ability to be customized.

I second the SMF and the security problems. My pre-smf board ybbse (the name it was called before smf) was taken by an well published exploit. If you board is low traffic and you keep up with the security updates, it shouldn't be a problem. However, smf has very nice features.

weber2web

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2006
cb911

hi hey i m using phpBB well start gud and if need help then its is the best .....There are a lot of additional plugins you can use to add just about any feature you could think of,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.