Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Iworks will not install

get to 98% done and then say there were errors.

It is on my HD but running it is very unstable.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

IJ

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have seen the same thing on one of my Macs. It gets to 98% and reports an install error (nothing specific, just an error). I haven't noticed any stability issues running the applications, however. The others install fine.

Edit: My only thought for a solution is to drag-copy the installer onto the hard drive or to create disk image from the DVD and run the installer from there.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I had something like this happen to me. Some kind of conflict between the iWork demo and the version I was trying to install. Had to completely uninstall everything iWork related, including pref files and packages. Then reinstalled from scratch, and it worked fine. Google the error messege, I think some others have had this problem too.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think this is a different problem, but I will soon find out. I compared the iWorks installs on the Mac where the error was reported to the ones where it was not, and the packages sizes were smaller on the former -- so even though the applications are running on that Mac, something is missing. I tried to make a dmg file of the install DVD on the Mac where it did not install properly, but Disk Utility reported a failure at just about the same point (nearly done), so I made one on another Mac. I'm now copying it over. Personally, I think it might well be a bad DVD pressing.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Errors

IJ Reilly said:
I think this is a different problem, but I will soon find out. I compared the iWorks installs on the Mac where the error was reported to the ones where it was not, and the packages sizes were smaller on the former -- so even though the applications are running on that Mac, something is missing. I tried to make a dmg file of the install DVD on the Mac where it did not install properly, but Disk Utility reported a failure at just about the same point (nearly done), so I made one on another Mac. I'm now copying it over. Personally, I think it might well be a bad DVD pressing.

I tried both Toast and Disk utility and had the same problem - some I/O error near the end.

Tried both copying disk and making an image.

The Apple Store said they would swap it and once I described the "98%" they seemd to have little concern about the fact that it was an opened product.

So while I was able to play a little on the apps (they stopped crashing after a reboot and a second 'reopen' I have a feeling that the missing 2% will haunt me later on.
:mad:

All and all I was impressed with how simple it appeared to used for making a flyer with its dynamic text movement around the image.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
The Answer

IJ Reilly said:
Quite a few people are reporting this problem over at Apple Support. No answers yet.

I used my PC's VERY non sophisticated (maybe even shareware) software called Record Now by SONIC to make an EXACT copy.

And it installed successfully!!!!!!!

This was even after 2 more failed attempts of installing the origial DVD

None of my Mac's programs would copy or make an image... yet one more reason to keep a CHEAP crappy windows PC around... they have their uses - albiet they are FEW and Far Between.

Woo Hoo - saves me a trip to the Apple Store! (Which is only good cause even a straight exchange would likely cause me to spend some cash there... always ready to suppport the Mother Ship)!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Making a dmg of the install DVD on another Mac is working for some people. Others are reporting that cleaning the install DVD works for them. I'd try both (if possible) before pushing the panic button.

I have had a similar problem in that the install icon flashes for a nano-second on the dock but will not install iworks 06 or ilife 06. Called Apple care and they were not very helpful. So they advised me to go to the New Brent cross store with my imac G5 and let them sort it out. So I made the long trip (62 miles) on a Friday to Apple store at Brent cross at 10 a/m, only to find the store didnt open until Saturday:mad: So I thought now I am in London I may as well get on a tube at visit Regent street. The only slot they has was 8:45 PM.

So I told them I want my money back, why they asked, so I explained the situation. They managed to get me in at 3pm. Only to be told I had to re-install and delete all previous items.

Why couldnt applecare have told me that so I ddint have to lump my g5 about and waste a day.

Still haven't installed it, and discovered in keynote you still cant have more than one audio item like you do in imovie. Also is there an option to export a keynote presentation to DVD and play it on the a DVD player????.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple is evidently admitting to a bad batch of iWork install DVDs and I believe (in the States at least) is replacing them on request.

Others have solved this problem by using the iWork preview DVD included with iLife or the pre-installed preview versions on newer Macs. The preview versions are the same as the full versions -- just use the registration code to fully activate.

angiebrooks

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
iWork installation fail

I was having this problem also with iWork on my brand new iMac. It just said an "error" occurred and for me to contact the software manufacturer. I wiped the disc with the cloth that came with the computer. It worked after that. Go figure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.