Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of updated 11 and 13-inch MacBook Air models, multiple retailers have begun dropping the price on older versions of the MacBook Air. Because the only upgrade to the 2014 MacBook Air is a slightly improved processor, the lower prices on 2013 MacBook Air models are appealing to consumers looking for a deal.

macbook_air_mavericks_roundup_header.jpg
We've gathered up some of the best price cuts ($200 off) on Apple's 2013 MacBook Air lineup, which can be seen below. Note that the $200 off represents the discount from the 2013 prices. Apple discounted the new 2014 MacBook Airs by $100, which gives you a $100 savings for a new 2013 MacBook Air that performs nearly on par with the new 2014 models.

11-inch 1.3GHz i5 MacBook Air, 4GB RAM & 128 GB flash storage (MD711LL/A):

- $799, B&H Photo
- $799, Best Buy
- $844, MacMall

11-inch 1.3GHz i5 MacBook Air, 4GB RAM & 256 GB flash storage (MD712LL/A):

- $999, B&H Photo
- $999, Best Buy
- $1,044, MacMall

13-inch 1.3GHz i5 MacBook Air, 4GB RAM & 128 GB flash storage (MD760LL/A):

- $899, B&H Photo
- $899, Best Buy

13-inch 1.3GHz i5 MacBook Air, 4GB RAM & 256 GB flash storage (MD761LL/A):

- $1,099, B&H Photo
- $1,099, Best Buy
- $1,144, MacMall

Some of the lowest prices on Apple's older products come from Apple itself - in the online refurbished store. Currently, the store lists an entry-level 2013 11-inch MacBook Air for $719, and an entry-level 2013 13-inch MacBook Air for $799, but stock is always limited and these deals often go quickly.

Apple has been selling a 2012 11-inch MacBook Air for as low as $599, but all models are currently sold out. The best way to get a deal from the refurbished store is to check stock on a regular basis.

For those looking for one of the newly updated MacBook Air models, those start at $899 for the 11-inch version and $999 for the 13-inch version, with stock available directly from the Apple Online Store. Sales tax will vary depending on which vendor you order from. B&H Photo, for example only charges sales tax in New York.

MacRumors is affiliate partners with some of these vendors

Article Link: Significant Discounts on 2013 MacBook Airs Following Refresh

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
But they're all at 4GB RAM. Not a single one is a good price.

EDIT: I just realised how condescending and snobbish that sounded. If it meets your needs, I'm happy you've got the discount. I'll leave the original post so that it can mark my shame.

Last edited:

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Now I feel like I should've waited to buy mine! I did get a modest discount though, and I really needed to replace my aging 2006 MacBook. I am very happy with the 2013 MacBook Air I purchased though.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Hmmm…. I happen to have a $150 off MacBooks student coupon from Best Buy expiring next week… brings a 256 GB 13.3" to $949… worth upgrading my 256 GB 13.3" from 2011?

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Now I feel like I should've waited to buy mine! I did get a modest discount though, and I really needed to replace my aging 2006 MacBook. I am very happy with the 2013 MacBook Air I purchased though.

I have a coworker in the same boat and advised him to call Apple since he literally received his on Tuesday (8GB so it shipped from China). They gave him $100 refund so it might be worth it...

----------

Hmmm…. I happen to have a $150 off MacBooks student coupon from Best Buy expiring next week… brings a 256 GB 13.3" to $949… worth upgrading my 256 GB 13.3" from 2011?

Yes, very worth it, unless you are waiting for Retina Display Air...

macs4nw

macrumors 601

EDIT: I just realised how condescending and snobbish that sounded. If it meets your needs, I'm happy you've got the discount. I'll leave the original post so that it can mark my shame.

I personally didn't take offense at your o.p., but humility is something you don't encounter much on rumor sites, and is refreshing. More to the point, these price cuts are real nice, and the prices on the refurb store for those superseded models are definitely worth considering.

Just saw a basic 11" MBA at $719 in the refurb store, which is $180 below that newer model, as well as a maxed-out 13" MBA for $1439, which is $310 off the 'equivalent' new model's price.

Last edited:

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I caught the $599 11.6" MacBook Air with a 64gb SSD, and I debated for a while before I sprung for the purchase.

Then I immediately reconsidered because I caught the 128gb version for only $80 more at $679.

I couldn't resist. My aging 2008 Alu. Uni. MacBook is probably out of luck when the next OS comes around, and I figured the other half would love this if I decide to keep the iPad over the MacBook Air.

That would be an even better replacement for her 2007 MacBook - happy wife, happy life!

Either way, long story short, some of those refurbished MacBook Airs were way too good to pass up!

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I personally didn't take offense at your o.p., but humility is something you don't encounter much on rumor sites, and is refreshing. More to the point, these price cuts are real nice, and the prices on the refurb store for those superseded models are definitely worth considering.

Just saw a basic 11" MBA at $719 in the refurb store, which is $180 below that newer model, as well as a maxed-out 13" MBA for $1439, which is $310 off the 'equivalent' new model's price.

I agree, I also don't see anything wrong with your comment. I think you are just printing out some of the obvious issues. The Macbook Air is great, but what people might want to keep in mind, is that unless you have money to throw around (e.g., buy a new one in 1-2 years because the computer feel sluggish), you should be careful about the initial investment. Giving that you can't update the MBA at all (unlike the Macbook Pro), you are basically stuck with what you buy. So that's very important to keep in mind, especially what you need in your machine to start with.

I think the pricing is great, but I'd recommend getting the 8GB RAM. I would also recommend getting the one with 250+GB, but if money is tight get the 128GB ones, you can always use microSD in the future, or make good use of external storage, or cloud.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My wife has a 2012 air and she is complaining about it a bit. I think I am going to wait to see what they do with the ipad to decide. Get her a new Mac air or get me a new iPad Air. It's going to be a tough choice. :D:cool:

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Mavericks is much better at memory management, the average user wouldn't notice the difference between a system with 4GB vs 8GB.

Yeah, I think in most respects, you're probably right. My Mac Mini struggles with 8GB, but there's loads of things constantly running on that, so that will be the reason. If you average only around 5 apps open at a given time, 4GB might still cut it. It's just a shame that you're stuck with 4GB for life on these machines. I spent extra for 16GB on my rMBP just because I knew I couldn't upgrade it later.

----------

The maxed out 13" sounds like an amazing deal if it's that much cheaper. At that price, though, I'd be tempted by the Pro. Thanks for the kind words.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Hmm... I'm interested in the MBA. Anyone think it will ever be touch screen?

I understand that's making OS X touch compatible wouldnt help Mac Pro users or Mac Mini users.. but it would add some nice usability for iMac and MacBook users.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

I feel the same way but at least I got 2 months usage out of it for paying a little more.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Mavericks is much better at memory management, the average user wouldn't notice the difference between a system with 4GB vs 8GB.

I beg to differ. I don't know how it behaves with an i3/i5/i7, but with a Core 2 Duo the on-the-fly memory compression of Mavericks was making my system completely unusable, freezing for up to five seconds every 30 seconds or so. I had to disable that "feature" because it seems Apple didn't push its older hardware far enough in their own beta-testing. :mad:

And I have 8GB RAM, I can't imagine the hell it must be for Core 2 Duo users with only 4GB.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I beg to differ. I don't know how it behaves with an i3/i5/i7, but with a Core 2 Duo the on-the-fly memory compression of Mavericks was making my system completely unusable, freezing for up to five seconds every 30 seconds or so. I had to disable that "feature" because it seems Apple didn't push its older hardware far enough in their own beta-testing. :mad:

And I have 8GB RAM, I can't imagine the hell it must be for Core 2 Duo users with only 4GB.

Damn I'm scared to upgrade my Mini then. Not that I was planning on it. I have a late 2010 or 2011 model I think. Hah. It's a C2D with 4GB. I'm on 10.7 I think. I'm not sure. I haven't booted it up in over a year. I don't have Internet other than the service on my iPhone so I don't need the computer.

I should sell it.. they still go for $500 on eBay. Yep I bought a $800 Mini to surf the web. Hate me.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

+1.

If all one does is open a handful of tabs in Safari and run iTunes, he may be able to get away with 4GB of RAM. But if one starts running even a moderately demand apps such as iPhoto and iWork simultaneously, 4GB would quickly trigger page outs.

Even with memory compression, Mavericks still can't do wonders with 4GB RAM. And once OS X starts to page out, the only way to recover is reboot.

With MBA not being user upgradable, it would be most unwise to not spend $100 more for 8GB RAM.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
+1.

If all one does is open a handful of tabs in Safari and run iTunes, he may be able to get away with 4GB of RAM. But if one starts running even a moderately demand apps such as iPhoto and iWork simultaneously, 4GB would quickly trigger page outs.

Even with memory compression, Mavericks still can't do wonders with 4GB RAM. And once OS X starts to page out, the only way to recover is reboot.

With MBA not being user upgradable, it would be most unwise to not spend $100 more for 8GB RAM.

Nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.