Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its professional audio software Logic Pro X to version 10.0.7, adding support for 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models along with several new features to enhance the functionality of the app and an array of bug fixes.

logic_pro_x_screenshot.jpg
What's new

- Now supports 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models
- The current volume, pan, and send values for all selected tracks can now be inserted at the playhead position
- Enabling Low Latency Mode no longer creates sync issues for Drummer, Ultrabeat, Native Instruments Machine and other plug-ins with integrated step sequencers
- Automation can now be copied and pasted to any location using the Marquee tool
- Adds an option for MIDI volume and pan data to control the instrument plug-in instead of the channel strip
- Resolves several snap and alignment guide issues
- Various fixes that improve XML import and export with Final Cut Pro X
- Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
Logic Pro X 10.0.7 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $199.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Logic Pro X Updated With Improved 12-Core Mac Pro Support, App Enhancements and Fixes

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I personally don't understand the idea of using 12 cores for Logic (or any music software), but I suppose it's not for me.

Then you've obviously never used music software with multiple plugins. CPU gets eaten up FAST.

grayter1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Just did a quick test of an XML file from Final Cut X. Looks like they may be on the way to getting it working. Haven't had a chance to round-trip it yet, but so far so good.

tg

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Just did a quick test of an XML file from Final Cut X. Looks like they may be on the way to getting it working. Haven't had a chance to round-trip it yet, but so far so good.

tg

Nice, would like to hear more about this. Please post results of round-tripping if you can.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Then you've obviously never used music software with multiple plugins. CPU gets eaten up FAST.

I wouldn't put it that dramatically. I did 96k/24bit recording on a quad core G5 a while back and would run nearly 30 real time effects - reverbs, compressors/limiters/gates, the usual. I can't recall the CPU going above 50% capacity.

That was an 9 year old machine, and I have to say peeking back in on the digital audio industry, not a lot has changed. Most of the prosumer gear is still 96k/24bit while the pro studios go for 196kHz, but that was around back in 2005 as well. The one thing that has changed is that desktop and mobile CPUs have gotten a ton more powerful with more and more cores.

alexmshore

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
UK
Supporting 24 processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models is pretty cool, however not sure about this affecting a lot of people at this point? But WOW thats a bit list of changes on the full release notes!

Will be interesting to see if they have fixed the automation problems.

:apple:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
That should make some Logic users happy (who are getting beat up by other DAW users, ehem Cubase users)

Cubase is as reliable as a pensioner's heartbeat. ProTools for audio, Logic for MIDI/AUs. Cubase's support with older OSs is nothing short of appalling and I'm surprised people even use it for anything these days.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I personally don't understand the idea of using 12 cores for Logic (or any music software), but I suppose it's not for me.

It's not rocket science, there are people doing sessions that are big and beefy enough to use that much CPU power. Most people have no idea how demanding audio apps can be.

nearly 30 real time effects...

That's a meaningless number since even within the same plugin category some plugins require vastly more power than others. Some you can run hundreds, others bog a machine with only a handful. One example, try running Diva in the highest quality setting.

Release notes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4498

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
I wouldn't put it that dramatically. I did 96k/24bit recording on a quad core G5 a while back and would run nearly 30 real time effects - reverbs, compressors/limiters/gates, the usual. I can't recall the CPU going above 50% capacity.

That was an 9 year old machine, and I have to say peeking back in on the digital audio industry, not a lot has changed. Most of the prosumer gear is still 96k/24bit while the pro studios go for 196kHz, but that was around back in 2005 as well. The one thing that has changed is that desktop and mobile CPUs have gotten a ton more powerful with more and more cores.

Latency. Try recording a guitar track with a 1024 buffer, it's horrible. More CPU = smaller buffer = less latency.

----------

Cubase is as reliable as a pensioner's heartbeat. ProTools for audio, Logic for MIDI/AUs. Cubase's support with older OSs is nothing short of appalling and I'm surprised people even use it for anything these days.

I use Cubase all the time. The latest update is rock solid.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Latency. Try recording a guitar track with a 1024 buffer, it's horrible. More CPU = smaller buffer = less latency.

Kind of... its true that you need CPU cycles to deal with I/O, but unless you're running input effects (i can't imagine why) then the input buffer size is more constrained by how your machine is sized for I/O - what your RAM and disk throughput looks like.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I still remember this 1st rule in composition... if with 4 tracks does not sound, with 64 neither.

I try to keep my pieces as simple as they can get even I do trance and techno music. I really like to write things from my 12" Powerbook! But I like a good mic, a good preamp and good monitoring. In my iMac I have Logic an I love the arpeggiator. But still, the magic starts at the arrangement.

DanPhillips

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Kind of... its true that you need CPU cycles to deal with I/O, but unless you're running input effects (i can't imagine why) then the input buffer size is more constrained by how your machine is sized for I/O - what your RAM and disk throughput looks like.

If by "Input effects" you mean "effects processing for live guitars, vocals, etc." then…well, hopefully that answers your question.

No-one who is a serious user of audio production applications has any question about the benefits of greater CPU power. As CPU power increases, we are asking more of our plug-ins in terms of both functionality and fidelity. I don't see that slowing down any time soon.

grayter1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Nice, would like to hear more about this. Please post results of round-tripping if you can.

I've had a chance to play with it more. Apple fixed a lot, but there's still some general weirdness going on. 'Roles' come through great now - if you remembered to define them before you export the XML.

Any audio mixed in FCPX comes in as automation in Logic.

The funkiness comes with the conversion of stereo music tracks placed in FCPX. When opened as an XML in Logic X, the tracks are converted to mono tracks, but the audio file itself remains stereo (on a mono track). You have to hit the Input button to 're-assign' it as a stereo track. After that, I deleted the second mono track (holding a stereo file) and went about my business.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's odd.

The round-trip works. I was able to clean up the audio mix for college project that my son did, and send it back to FCPX as an XML export.

Overall it's an improvement from where it was before the update. I could see myself using Logic to score and fix dialouge a bit more. It ain't Pro Tools, but it never will be.

tg

Last edited:

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
The one thing that has changed is that desktop and mobile CPUs have gotten a ton more powerful with more and more cores.

What else has changed is that now you have plugins that chew that extra CPU power and spit it out. Try running a few instances of acustica's nebula on modern hardware. The other trend these days is to put some form of channel strip emuation on every channel of a project. Combine it with modern projects that are well over 60 tracks, multiple plugins per track, and you have a situation that is quite different to what you would have experienced on your G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.