Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (via AppleInsider) that details a user interface in messaging apps that dynamically changes its background based on conversation participants. The patent details how this interface would adapt to both single and group conversations, and how it would work with specific data to generate images.
apple_messages_ui_patent_2.jpg

Outlining the "Generation of a user interface based on contacts", the patent describes how a conversation can be displayed over a background image associated with a contact. Users have the ability to assign a photo to a single contact to serve as a background, while the image itself can be adjusted to be dimmed or alpha-blended with a background color to ensure greater message readability. If an image is not assigned, the interface could also generate a default male or female image based on contact information.

apple_messages_ui_patent_1.jpg

The concept also carries over into group chats, as one user can be highlighted while others are greyed out to display who sent the last message. Alternative methods described in the patent also include showing contact thumbnails in a Cover Flow or carousel fashion, as well as layouts that center and increase the thumbnail of the most recent contacts with animations for emphasis. The patent also describes a potential API for third party developers to integrate the user interface into their own apps.

As with other software patents, it is unknown whether Apple plans to include this dynamic user interface in future versions of Messages or other apps. However, Apple could make changes to the Messages app in iOS 8, which is expected to be unveiled next month at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). Recent rumors have suggested that iOS 8 will feature a focus on health-related applications along with enhancements to Maps and Siri.

Article Link: Apple Awarded Patent for Contact Aware User Interface in Messaging Applications

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
iChat-style icons would be MORE than enough. Nothing more. Apple got UX design in 2005 right. Stick to it.

Danthetechman

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
This ruins the "clean UI" idea, and since i don't have contact photos for all of my contacts, this would be weird looking if implemented. And i don't usually like to have a photo of the person I'm talking to enlarged and stretched to fill the background.
I'd also like to point out that this "idea" isn't as revolutionary as you seem to think. Contact photos in the BG of a text convo? Maybe there's a reason this hadn't been patented...

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I know it's just a patent, and it doesn't mean it will ultimately be implemented, but I frequently have group messages between 5-6 people and I think the background images will be ugly and add clutter.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The current implementation of images and initials in circles that accompany individual chat bubbles is perfectly sufficient and adheres to overall OS aesthetic.
Who knows what they have up their sleeve and/or if this will see the light of day? But from my distant vantage point, looks like an idea I hope remains on the shelf.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Apple and Pictures are the two things that does not go together.

. Lack of proper file storage, access or backup of photos in iCloud.
. No recent support for Aperture
. Stupid small contact photos
. No real user photo controls

and now they want to patent putting a contact photo in messages =/

of all the things they could / should be fixing this is what they waste time patenting? .... newsflash I don't need to see who is messaging me.

thatdrh

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
too late?

THIS NEEDED A PATENT?

I don't know.. I think this should of been done back when they added the photos for contacts, like when you make phone calls. Its sort of cool, but why worry about it now...

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Apple and Pictures are the two things that does not go together.

. Lack of proper file storage, access or backup of photos in iCloud.
. No recent support for Aperture
. Stupid small contact photos
. No real user photo controls

and now they want to patent putting a contact photo in messages =/

of all the things they could / should be fixing this is what they waste time patenting? .... newsflash I don't need to see who is messaging me.
News flash apple is a huge company! They can do multiple thing at once.

MR-LIZARD

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
UK
To the people saying this doesn't fit with iOS 7 clean design. Look at the patent application date; it's 2012. The patent sketches also clearly show pre-iOS 7 features. The triangularish back button and the network strength indicator give this away. Not saying they can't use it as often these sketches are just basic diagrams, but it shows it was thought up during a different time.

The patent's just been granted; doesn't mean they just thought it up or will start using it tomorrow.

The idea's not bad to help avoid messaging the wrong person. Not sure about the execution though; could look ugly. Particularly as most people's contact photos aren't nice portraits with clear backgrounds.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Outlining the "Generation of a user interface based on contacts", the patent describes how a conversation can be displayed over a background image associated with a contact. Users have the ability to assign a photo to a single contact to serve as a background, while the image itself can be adjusted to be dimmed or alpha-blended with a background color to ensure greater message readability.
So from the sounds of it, all I have to do is set every background-assigned photo to 0% alpha, and I could once again enjoy a messaging system that doesn't look like an amateur designed it.

I thought Apple didn't like offering choice?

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Apple is great at getting patents. Oftentimes these patents don't see light until they can be unified in the UI properly.

Don't expect this soon and don't expect it to be simply a contact photo behind the messages.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
This is why they spend so much time in court. A patent for this is completely unnecessary and really should not be legit!!

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
This is why they spend so much time in court. A patent for this is completely unnecessary and really should not be legit!!

It seems that filing for a patent is like hitting a hot girl in a bar. You can try, knowing she'll say no, but you can still try.

The trouble is that the patent hot girl has beer goggles... :)

Hallsome

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
I agree about the date being in 2012 and that since iOS 7 came out, it may not even be used. However in the recently published iOS 7 interface guidelines it specifically mentions and shows the weather app as the very first example in the guidelines of instantly providing the user with the information desired "ie current weather" using a background image and then allowing the user to obtain further info "hourly, weekly" as they desire.

I disagree that the current idea of the initials of someone's name in bubbles are the best way to have a multi person conversations. Although it is not impossible to differentiate two individuals who have the same initials, it takes more energy to do so than to simply glance at the screen and instantly know who you are talking to, like the above example with the weather as the background image.

Just some thoughts, again it may never even see the light of day...

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Another example of Apples "I think, therefore I patent" mentality.
In no rational, reasonable jurisdiction should this sort of thing ever be considered patent worthy. Period.
Note to Apple: Innovate don't litigate.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
Another example of Apples "I think, therefore I patent" mentality.
In no rational, reasonable jurisdiction should this sort of thing ever be considered patent worthy. Period.
Note to Apple: Innovate don't litigate.

I agree with you that these sort of things are not patent-worthy. However, Apple is hardly the only company that does this. It's an unfortunate, but legal, loop-hole on the patent office that really needs to be fixed. If not them, Samsung or others will patent this and make money from it ... this is a business not some idealistic campaign.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
It would work for the Brady Bunch, but for the rest of us who either don't have contact photos, or use random stupid images as contact photos, it's a distinctly messy'n'meh idea.

08-brady-bunch-3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.