Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safarilogo.jpg
Apple today released Safari 7.0.4 for OS X Mavericks and Safari 6.1.4 for OS X Mountain Lion and Lion, addressing a significant memory corruption issue in the WebKit engine powering Apple's browser. It also addresses an issue with handling of unicode characters that could be exploited.
The Safari 7.0.4 update is recommended for all OS X Mavericks users and contains improvements to security.

For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
The new update comes roughly six weeks after the release of Safari 7.0.3, which included a more substantial list of improvements. Safari 7.0.3 was later bundled into OS X 10.9.3, which was released last week.

Safari 7.0.4 and 6.1.4 are free downloads available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 7.0.4 and 6.1.4 with Security Fixes

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I hadn't experienced any problems with it, but I updated anyway (not that wouldn't) in hopes of better performance and knowing that I shouldn't have any problems they've addressed.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
For me Safari has been stable. I hardly noticed any difference with the last update and it has been completely transparent with this update. Clearly plugging holes, but zero impact to users is good. Now bring on 10.10 or whatever it will be called and let's get some snappy impacts going :)

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
With every update, I'm scared they'll mess up something different, like when Safari 7 came. Adblock on youtube didn't work for months, turned out it was Apple and not the adblock team and they had to wait for a few months for a new fix from Apple. Now, it's finally blocking ads again, but with every update, I fear they'll mess it up again. Ya, I hate ads that much :p

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6254

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: Multiple memory corruption issues existed in WebKit. These issues were addressed through improved memory handling.

Impact: A malicious site can send messages to a connected frame or window in a way that might circumvent the receiver's origin check

Description: An encoding issue existed in the handling of unicode characters in URLs. A maliciously crafted URL could have led to sending an incorrect postMessage origin. This issue was addressed through improved encoding/decoding.

I'm Excited for the improved memory handling :)
However they have yet to fix the history swipe back bug that occasionally causes it to get stuck :/

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
With every update, I'm scared they'll mess up something different, like when Safari 7 came. Adblock on youtube didn't work for months, turned out it was Apple and not the adblock team and they had to wait for a few months for a new fix from Apple. Now, it's finally blocking ads again, but with every update, I fear they'll mess it up again. Ya, I hate ads that much :p

Oh excellent, now I can stop using Chrome Canary as my go-to por buying gifts browser. I hate when my bookmarks get all mixed up, ya know? Now I won't have all those popups showing up on...um...Amazon.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Oh excellent, now I can stop using Chrome Canary as my go-to por buying gifts browser. I hate when my bookmarks get all mixed up, ya know? Now I won't have all those popups showing up on...um...Amazon.

In all seriousness though, it really is much easier to deal with sites like CNN when ads are properly blocked.

Another nice tool is Click2Flash, which makes all Flash load on demand, and force loads HTML5 on a lot of video sites, which in turn also blocks a ton of video ads.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
<html>
<head>
A post on Macrumors
</head>
<body>
<p class = "question>
Is it snappier?
</p>
</body>
</html>

Seriously, though, I haven't seen the problem described in the post. That said, props to Apple for making a fix for whoever has the problem. :D

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
How do I go back to 7.0.3?

Just installed 7.0.4 and now Safari is broken for me. If I try to swipe to go "back" it freezes on me, and I have to close the window (Command + W) and open a new one in order to resume browsing.

EDIT: Tried disabling and re-enabling the gesture in System Prefs. Didn't fix anything for me. This is really frustrating. Thanks, Apple =/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Just installed 7.0.4 and now Safari is broken for me. If I try to swipe to go "back" it freezes on me, and I have to close the window (Command + W) and open a new one in order to resume browsing.

EDIT: Tried disabling and re-enabling the gesture in System Prefs. Didn't fix anything for me. This is really frustrating. Thanks, Apple =/
Have you tried restarting to see if it perhaps gets rid of some weird glitches?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Have you tried restarting to see if it perhaps gets rid of some weird glitches?

Safari? Yes.

My MBP? No.

I just rebooted yesterday and I'd rather not do so again so soon (I have an irrational fear of constant rebooting =/)... and frankly if the update requires a restart to fix it, I find that pretty disappointing.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Safari? Yes.

My MBP? No.

I just rebooted yesterday and I'd rather not do so again so soon (I have an irrational fear of constant rebooting =/)... and frankly if the update requires a restart to fix it, I find that pretty disappointing.

Apple fans are some of the weirdest people on the planet. Seriously, a fear of restarting?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Safari? Yes.

My MBP? No.

Rebooting a computer is one of the most basic things. Nothing crazy or wrong about it.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Rebooting a computer is one of the most basic things. Nothing crazy or wrong about it.

I agree, but it shouldn't be required in this case on principle, in my opinion. I'll reboot it soon, then. But if that doesn't fix it then, well, I don't know.... haha

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I agree, but it shouldn't be required in this case on principle, in my opinion. I'll reboot it soon, then. But if that doesn't fix it then, well, I don't know.... haha

"on principle"??

On behalf of the entire computer industry, I apologize profusely that our technology disappoints you.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
"on principle"??

On behalf of the entire computer industry, I apologize profusely that our technology disappoints you.

Yes, I find it difficult to swallow that incremental updates that are meant to improve performance lead to malfunctioning software. It makes me question how the build passes QC tests. And I don't mean for Apple, I mean any company. A couple years ago Sony released an update to the PS3 firmware that bricked consoles, and I don't find it very excusable. I'm not asking for anything like a brand new computer, I'm just expressing a complaint. So no need for the sarcasm, really. I do think that companies should have a way for users to use whichever version of software they had that works though; if Apple allowed me to revert back to 7.0.3 I would have no qualms.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I find it difficult to swallow that incremental updates that are meant to improve performance lead to malfunctioning software. It makes me question how the build passes QC tests. And I don't mean for Apple, I mean any company. A couple years ago Sony released an update to the PS3 firmware that bricked consoles, and I don't find it very excusable. I'm not asking for anything like a brand new computer, I'm just expressing a complaint. So no need for the sarcasm, really. I do think that companies should have a way for users to use whichever version of software they had that works though; if Apple allowed me to revert back to 7.0.3 I would have no qualms.
Computers can just run into issues without even any updates. Just by using them and them running. Just their nature. It happens. Nothing too strange or new about it. Restarting is a fairly basic, straightforward, and simple troubleshooting step for a lot of electronic devices in general.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland

You come to this site to read news for free and you don't even care enough to put up with ads that pay the bills of the people who write these stories?

Negaiido

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010

I have that bug in 7.0.3 as well so I doubt reverting would make any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.