Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, a number of iOS and Mac users reported iPhones, iPads, and Macs being remotely locked by hackers who then demanded a ransom for their recovery.

australian_ios_device_hacked.jpeg
The attacks primarily affected those located in Australia. While there have been many theories about common points of attack, no one theme has emerged. Some users also deny that passwords were shared with other services.

ZDNet reports that Apple has issued an official statement denying that iCloud itself was hacked.
Apple takes security very seriously and iCloud was not compromised during this incident. Impacted users should change their Apple ID password as soon as possible and avoid using the same user name and password for multiple services. Any users who need additional help can contact AppleCare or visit their local Apple Retail Store.
A growing discussion thread on Apple's support forums is following the issue.

Thanks Dominik

Article Link: Apple Denies iCloud Hack as Cause of Locked iOS Device Ransom Demands

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Who actually asks for a ransom in typed-text format? Real ransom's are made with individual letters cut from magazines with a scissors.

Ammanas

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Does anyone have trouble accessing the support thread given ?

I get this notice:

VOvomJY.png

Though it seems that the support site on the American and Australia websites are working fine ...

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Given that Spotify recently recommended that all android users change their spotify account passwords after one account was potentially compromised, it is interesting to see Apple take a much more "nothing to do with us" stance. I hope for their sake that they are 100% sure on that one.

iGuyS

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
Surely there was some way Apple could have defended itself without sounding like it was just blaming its users.

Defensive Apple sounds defensive.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Surely there was some way Apple could have defended itself without sounding like it was just blaming its users.

Defensive Apple sounds defensive.

Not wanting to defend anyone here - but can you show me where they blame the users? Is their advice bad?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not wanting to defend anyone here - but can you show me where they blame the users? Is their advice bad?

They're advice isn't bad but I feel like I've seen Apple take the "it's not us" stance before then later turn around and admit there was some breach or something. My memory could be wrong.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
It's so obvious this is a user problem (weak passwords) that I don't even know why people pay attention to this.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
It's so obvious this is a user problem (weak passwords) that I don't even know why people pay attention to this.

exactly, if there would be problem with Apple security system, it would be major issue, now only plenty people, which doesn't care about their security and using low security passwords

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
"Coincidentally", this week I received a phishing attempt, claiming to be from Apple (which was obvious, and I reported through both SpamCop and Google). I've never received one from them - it's always been Amazon, PayPal, eBay, banks, etc. (Part of me actually went "well, it's about time.")

I would put money on the victims having fallen for the phish attempt, and deny having shared their password because they still believe that the link they clicked and divulged all their iCloud account details to "confirm" their account, was an Apple one.

Sorry, but until someone can prove the underlying iCloud infrastructure is to blame, I'm gonna call this user error.

Last edited:

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
I'm calling "user problem" as well. I know so many people that have poor passwords. Like their name for instance!!! :roll eyes: If iCloud was hacked, this would be appearing world wide, wouldn't you think?

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
In todays day& age, its a goldmine for a cybercriminal. Reminds of me when you watch old western movies and you see how easy they march in and rob a bank. Well we're that age in online years.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007

The unspoken issue here is — using Find My Device. If someone gets your password, your device becomes a sitting duck if that's turned on.

The world went mad when a journalist lost his baby photos, because someone social engineered his password and remote wiped his MacBook Air.

I don't see the same empathy when people less famous suffer extortion for using the same password on iCloud as somewhere else.

This is the downside of Find My Device. Keep those iCloud passwords unique. And don't use your iCloud email & password anywhere else. That's simple… ;)

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
...Sorry, but until someone can prove the underlying iCloud infrastructure is to blame, I'm gonna call this user error.

I like to refer to it as a chair-keyboard interface problem :D

----------

In todays day& age, its a goldmine for a cybercriminal. Reminds of me when you watch old western movies and you see how easy they march in and rob a bank. Well we're that age in online years.

Kinda like a Clint eAstwood era :D

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The unspoken issue here is — using Find My Device. If someone gets your password, your device becomes a sitting duck if that's turned on.

The world went mad when a journalist lost his baby photos, because someone social engineered his password and remote wiped his MacBook Air.

I don't see the same empathy when people less famous suffer extortion for using the same password on iCloud as somewhere else.

This is the downside of Find My Device. Keep those iCloud passwords unique. And don't use your iCloud email & password anywhere else. That's simple… ;)

What world? I never heard of it and didn't see it anywhere? Maybe we just live in different planets lol

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Two phishing attemps here too., from fake iTunes One claiming I bought some books in iBooks store (sending to a wen page in Poland for verification). The second one reporting some fake bought in the App Store. Quite we'll done, BTW...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.