Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albeik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
So, I decided to Disk Repair and Erase Free Space... using the Disk Utility application. When all is done -- my HDD now indicates that I have 0KB left ????

I quickly connected my FW800 external backup drive and started backing up my stuff -- just in case.

Does any one know what is going on and why this is happening?? No application was running during the repair/erase processes.

Funny that I can still use the mac while I have 0KB free space. I am afraid to put my powerbook to sleep.

My system is a Powerbook 15" 1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD with Mac OS X (10.4.4). Any help/comments/suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

albeik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
After backing up some file (moving them to my external drive) I saved about 8GB of space. Then I said what the hell and try the "Erase empty space..." thing again... and this time I left it on all night -- and this morning i noticed my drive is ~11GB free? --- umm.. can someone explain what is happening?

Worst case scenario I am going to do a full reinstall of the OS after a format.

Thanks everyone!

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
albeik said:
After backing up some file (moving them to my external drive) I saved about 8GB of space. Then I said what the hell and try the "Erase empty space..." thing again... and this time I left it on all night -- and this morning i noticed my drive is ~11GB free? --- umm.. can someone explain what is happening?

Worst case scenario I am going to do a full reinstall of the OS after a format.

Thanks everyone!

Question. Before deciding to repair/erase empty space, did you use the PB for a long time?
OSX has some issues with free space, but nothing very nasty, often to deal with the trash. Best to always Finder>Empty trash in secure mode
No issues after:p

:rolleyes:

albeik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
Whiteapple said:
Question. Before deciding to repair/erase empty space, did you use the PB for a long time?
OSX has some issues with free space, but nothing very nasty, often to deal with the trash. Best to always Finder>Empty trash in secure mode
No issues after:p

:rolleyes:

Yes I have used my PB for a long time.. and I did do the trash empty/secure erase. But that will only do for the just-deleted files.

I tried to search the support site with any results! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.