Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
my "new" 17" iMac G5 (iSight) seems to have died! It was streaming music in sleep mode. Music stopped then it wouldnt wake up. Held down the power button to turn it off. Now I get the startup chime, you can hear the hard drive click but doesnt get any further. After a couple of minutes the fans go wild!

Spoke to the authorised seller where I bought it from and tried apple/alt/p/r , booting with shift, trying to boot from CD, reset power managements. Nothing works.

Any other ideas?

Got the machine on Nov 16th. 1GB ram & 250mb Hard Drive. Kind of hoping I can return it and get a new intel machine now!

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
yep - you should be able to return for a refund if its really new - accept nothing less

then order the intelimac :)

best thing to do is phone apple and speak to them.

EDIT - just seen you bought it in nov - sorry

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
After 30 days, the best you are going to hope for is for Apple to repair it, unless you bought it from CompUSA or a very friendly retailer, and even then you are going to have to pitch a fit.

weewee

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
my exact same imac (17 in, isight)did the same thing to me about a month or two ago. I wasnt playing music but one day it just shut off and wouldnt boot anymore. I spent like 2 hours on the phone with a stupid apple tech trying to get it to work. I did get it to get to the spinning gears tho after letting it sit for 20 minutes and having the fans blasting the whole time. because of that he told me because i didnt have apple care (this was 1 month after i had purchased it) they couldnt do anything about it because im getting some kind of graphics on my screen even though it wasnt booting up at all. that was rediculous!

but anyways I took it to my apple authorized (non apple) reapair shop and they took it no problems what so ever. turned out the logic board was dead.

oh and my repair was delayed five days becase the first AND second logic board replacements they got from apple were DOA.

Idunno i love apple but that instance ticked me off.

so i think your best bet would be to go to a good authorized repair place (i dont think compusa would be a good one just from my experiences) and have them deal with it. if its hardware related your warranty should cover it and you shouldnt have to pay anything.

Just my two cents

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Don't worry, it is normal!

After all your Mac was manufactured to the highest QC specifications in the industry! Oh, I forgot how to insert a sarcasm tag for vBulletin.

Demand an exchange, expect nothing less! :D

conno

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
Melbourne
Conspiracy theory...

My iMac G5 has been freezing up lately. No particular application, random times, it'll just freeze. Mouse not moving, music stops, etc. Then after about 30 seconds the fan goes into ORBIT.

I restarted (zapped PRAM), performed a hardware check (all OK), re-installed the system software, cleaned out non-Apple extras, fixed disc permissions, and started it up.

It seemed fine, I installed the latest updates from Apple, then the next day, FREEZE.

AND AGAIN
AND AGAIN
AND AGAIN x 10

Finally, I was randomly chatting to someone who works in a graphic design studio, running four iMac G5s. He said, "mate, since the latest update came through last week, three of the four macs have **** themselves and have "mouse freezes" all the time. I think it's since the new Intel Macs have come out Apple sent through an update which makes your G5 freeze so that you want to upgrade"

Now I don't buy into the conspiracy theories, but I must say, it's more than just a coincidence that a rock solid computer which has never had any problems in the past with crashing or freezing all of a sudden has multiple instances of freezing?

Apple Update? What's the story? Anyone else having this problem?

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Just in case anyone is interested - got my iMac back after 1 week. New logic board and optical fan. Wondering now if problems were due to getting a BTO machine. Either way I guess I was unlucky, I presume it is in good nick now that some UK engineer has had a good poke around!

adam-uk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
England, UK
Ive got an iMac G5 iSight 20", the camera on it has been faulty since day one, and the other day when i went to put it into sleep mode the fans started wizzing and smoke / dust or something gray smoke came out of the bottom vents.

Lol, im a bit pissed really seeing as it is the first mac ive owned, but if it can be tested and fixed ill live.

Grasbak, what u doing in scarborough? Im up there at a friends at the mo :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.