Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in late 2010, Apple and warehouse club chain Costco parted ways, ending a relationship that had seen Costco carrying iPods and iTunes Store gift cards. The two companies now appear to have patched up their differences, reaching an agreement that will see the second largest retailer in the U.S. begin carrying the iPhone and cellular iPads through its wireless kiosks.

costco_logo.jpg
The news comes via an email from Dan Brettler, founder and CEO of Car Toys and its Wireless Advocates subsidiary, which handles wireless sales for Costco. The email was sent to Wireless Advocates employees, notifying them of the new partnership.
Wireless Advocates Team,

I am extremely excited to share the news of a new partnership between Apple Inc. and Costco Wholesale. This partnership will bring a top selling line-up of Apple products to Costco members including the iPhone and embedded iPads. As Costco's solution for wireless devices and services, we are proud to be a part of this new partnership and incorporate Apple products into our already strong product line-up in Costco.

We already know Apple products. They are not new to our business. We currently sell Apple products in two of our three enterprise channels (Car Toys and Military). We already have a great business partnership with them and this new opportunity strengthens that relationship. They are valuable to our long-term success and growth in our space. This initiative will accelerate same store sales through performance gains and new products and services, as well as enhance our strategic partnership with our suppliers. This is critical to the overall success of "Our 5 Strategic Business Initiatives".
In his email, Brettler acknowledges that there is still "much backend work and physical kiosk work" to be done before Costco stores can begin selling iPhones and iPads, and he does not provide a timeline for the start of sales. He does, however, promise to keep employees updated as the project moves forward.

Beyond iPhone and iPad, several Twitter users have reported yesterday and today that Costco has once again begun selling iTunes Store gift cards. This is likely separate from the hardware partnership with Wireless Advocates but part of the broader agreement between Apple and Costco, with the gift card portion moving forward on a faster timeline due to the ease of rollout.

Update 9:09 PM: We've heard that additional Apple products such as iPods and Wi-Fi iPad Airs have begun appearing in Costco's internal inventory systems.

Article Link: Costco Preparing to Begin Selling iPhone and iPad as iTunes Store Gift Cards Return [Updated]

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Is there any advantage to buying an Apple product at Costco? Do I get 500 rolls of toilet paper for free or something?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Is there any advantage to buying an Apple product at Costco? Do I get 500 rolls of toilet paper for free or something?

I love TP SO MUCH!!! I would totally buy all Appleware there if it came with free TP!!!

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Yesterday, I saw an iTunes gift card display at the front of the Novato, CA store with an employee promoting it. "We have iTunes gift cards." $94.99 for $100 gift cards. Not the best promo out there.

But I remember thinking, hell must have frozen over between Costco and Apple.

Apparently it has.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Daaaaaaaawwwww, I wanted Costco to make their own budget electronics as alternatives… those always work so well…

Office-Pyramid-tablet.jpg

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I can't even remember why they broke up in the first place.

If I recall correctly, the breakup was reported to be about Costco selling Apple products with a discount, or a least a bigger discount than Apple wanted in major retail. Even then, the discount would be like $20 on a $200 iPod.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
If I recall correctly, the breakup was reported to be about Costco selling Apple products with a discount, or a least a bigger discount than Apple wanted in major retail. Even then, the discount would be like $20 on a $200 iPod.

And, if I recall, they were upset that Sam's Club got to sell the iPhone.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
YES, how about the FREE extra year warranty on ALL electronics?

Does their "return with no questions asked" policy apply to phones?

I know the return period is shorter for electronic devices. I had a coffee maker crap out 4 months after I bought it from Costco, they took it back, no questions. I would buy anything I needed from them.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Does their "return with no questions asked" policy apply to phones?

I know the return period is shorter for electronic devices. I had a coffee maker crap out 4 months after I bought it from Costco, they took it back, no questions. I would buy anything I needed from them.

Aye I did the the same with a blender 8 months later that I could no longer remove the blade from after 3 uses (and yes, I cleaned it each time!)

The return policy site states:
"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones."

Also on top of any deals you also get a smooth 1% back if you're an executive member, so that pays for child's seat worth of hot dogs on the way out.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

I believe you also get 90-day return on the phone, but the service agreement cannot be nullified without paying early termination fee.

And generally speaking, the phone is few dollars cheaper than carrier's price, enough to pay for $1.50 hotdogs.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Aye I did the the same with a blender 8 months later that I could no longer remove the blade from after 3 uses (and yes, I cleaned it each time!)

The return policy site states:
"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones."

Also on top of any deals you also get a smooth 1% back if you're an executive member, so that pays for child's seat worth of hot dogs on the way out.

Thanks Deelron. I will definitely be checking out the iPhone 6 at Costco. 3 months is definitely better than Apple's 2 week (I think) return policy!

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Thanks Deelron. I will definitely be checking out the iPhone 6 at Costco. 3 months is definitely better than Apple's 2 week (I think) return policy!

Np. Sadly if I recall they used to use the same policy for everything but the returns on electronics got abused pretty royally.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Does Costco only sell under contract phones at subsidized prices, or will they sell device only devices? Can you buy a Samsung phone from them at a no contract price now?

Also what are "embedded" iPads? Haven't heard that term before. Is that iPads that are on post-paid service? If so it seems like this is a bid to get the devices in their mobile kiosks within the stores rather than just available in the general store for cash and carry. They used to sell the iPod this way, but that has pretty much gone away as a category.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
Np. Sadly if I recall they used to use the same policy for everything but the returns on electronics got abused pretty royally.

Yeah it did. My roommate in college returned his mom's 4 year old laptop for a full refund and then bought the newest model they had. Also had another friend return a TV 3 years later and do the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.