Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

903271_larger.png
Twitter has updated its iOS app with a feature called "World Cup Timelines", which allows users to see relevant tweets about all the games during the month-long 2014 FIFA World Cup.
New for World Cup:

The World Cup Timeline is where all the action happens. In addition to Tweets from your network, you will see relevant Tweets from teams, players, coaches, press, venues, and celebs.

Are you watching the match? Follow it on Twitter and take a peek behind the scenes. See Tweets about the match from teams, players, coaches, press, venues, and celebs from inside and outside the stadium.
The new features mirror changes Twitter has made to its web interface, which allow users to follow Twitter timelines for specific games featuring tweets by relevant fans, journalists, analysts and more. A couple days ago, Twitter also re-introduced "Hashflags", which automatically insert flags from the countries participating in the World Cup when certain hashtags, like "#BRA" for Brazil, are used.

Twitter is also planning to roll out Timelines for individual teams, including lists of each countries' players and match scorecards that update scores live.

Twitter is a free universal app that's available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter App Gets World Cup 'Timelines' in New Update

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I wonder what FIFA is thinking about this.

I don't think Twitter is an official partner, and FIFA is pretty brutal in protecting sponsor exclusivity, even going after local bakeries selling "Word champion bread rolls" in Germany 2006.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Did they do this for the Super Bowl before?

I imagine it's the popularity of it. The World Cup reaches... well... the world. The Super Bowl is a bunch of American teams with minor interest globally (compared to the the World Cup I mean). Personally I don't watch either.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Did they do this for the Super Bowl before?

I wonder what FIFA is thinking about this.

I don't think Twitter is an official partner, and FIFA is pretty brutal in protecting sponsor exclusivity, even going after local bakeries selling "Word champion bread rolls" in Germany 2006.

One reason Twitter may not have done the Timelines before for the NFL Super Bowl is actually because the NFL is also extremely aggressive in protecting its copyright for the Super Bowl. In the US, if you've ever wondered why supermarkets and such talk about the "big game" or "super savings" that weekend, but not a "Super Bowl sale," that's why. They're not just being cute, they're probably actually concerned about legal action if the NFL somehow thinks that their wording is making it remotely sound like it could be an official NFL endorsement.

And then the NFL even tried to copyright the euphemism "the Big Game"! Crazy.

There are tons of World Cups, so maybe Twitter feels safer for this one in spite of any wishes FIFA may have.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just got another update for version 6.7.2 with pretty much the same "what's new" information as yesterday's 6.7.1 version (and the App Store page for Twitter still seems to list 6.7.1 as the latest).

mr-w

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Same here. And I still have no idea how to use this new timeline.

You may find "Summer of Football" useful. It's an alternative to a Twitter World Cup timeline - app created specially for World Cup with redesigned timeline, lot's of experts accounts, nice photos and news.
No need to follow sport accounts on Twitter and having your timeline cluttered after the tournament. Just launch it and see what's going on in the World Cup. Great for following build-up and live commentary.

App Store link

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.