Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks.png
Apple today seeded build 13E19 of OS X 10.9.4 to developers, just over a week after seeding the second OS X 10.9.4 beta and more than a month after the public release of OS X 10.9.3, which included enhanced support for 4K displays and syncing improvements.

The beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and should be in the Mac Dev Center shortly.

It remains unclear what improvements the 10.9.4 update will bring to Mavericks, but it is likely to include bug fixes and stability enhancements. Apple is asking developers to focus on Graphics Drivers, Bluetooth, Audio Drivers, Finder, App Store, and Safari.

Update: The new build is now available in the Mac Dev Center.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Build 13E19 to Developers

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I wouldn't want to work at Apple and be at the Mavericks team when next door the Yosemite team is doing their magic :D
Still not as bad as being in the XP team at Microsoft these days :p

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Is Mail in Mavericks still behaving badly with Gmail? I cannot upgrade to Mavericks unless Mail is rock solid since my business and livelihood depend on it.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Is Mail in Mavericks still behaving badly with Gmail? I cannot upgrade to Mavericks unless Mail is rock solid since my business and livelihood depend on it.

Its pretty good for me at the moment. Just be sure to disable Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Advanced>Automatically download all attachments.

I did make a few changes on the gmail side of things, although I can't remember exactly what I did.

OS X 10.9.3.

dsburdette

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
I finally gave up on Apple Mail after all these years and literally just started the 30-day trial of Postbox two days ago. So far so good. It's been a pretty smooth transition as the similarities abound.

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
I will never use it because it doesn't support Exchange to automatically receive new emails. The checking once a minute is just too long to wait for new emails in IT.

*Sigh* there is a reason why it isn't supported - it has been discussed to death on this forum, please read the forum posts.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
really don't understand why exchange support is so dodgy for so long across so many systems, not just apple. is it really that complex of a protocol to get right?

John Bokma

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I will never use it because it doesn't support Exchange to automatically receive new emails. The checking once a minute is just too long to wait for new emails in IT.

Wow. I work in IT as well. Maybe programming, what I do, is different from what you do, but I have no problem checking email just a few times a day, and do mostly so when my work makes room for it (I have no sound played when mail arrives, and often even kill my email program).

----------

No idea what the exact problem is, but if Mail works good with SMTP why not set up a SMTP server on a different (fanless, small) computer which fetches mail from Gmail? At least that's what I am going to set up soonish to be able to read email on multiple devices (several domains, etc.)

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010

I work in IT and check my mails like every hour or so, sometimes not even that often. After all, I'm there to work, not to check mails. Works perfectly. :D

Regarding Gmail, I don't have any problems with Mail on Mavericks and Gmail, I also never had any though. I do use Gmail for Business, not sure if that makes a difference though. And I don't use email very heavily (i.e. I just use is as an inbox, not for archiving or anything).

really don't understand why exchange support is so dodgy for so long across so many systems, not just apple. is it really that complex of a protocol to get right?

Nope, it's just not really supported by Microsoft.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008

If your business and livelihood depend on e-mail, then you should have a mail server that is physically under your care, custody, and control. What happens if Gmail makes some change and everything breaks at your end?

Gmail for business charges $50 per year for each email address. That's crazy. You're supposed to give out a different email address to each company you communicate with. That way you can track who leaks your address and can shut down any address that gets inundated with spam. This isn't 1996 with a one-person-one-email-address model.

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
...but if Mail works good with SMTP why not set up a SMTP server on a different (fanless, small) computer which fetches mail from Gmail?

Why not just ditch Gmail and run a mail server for your own domain? I've had my own mail server running for 13 years on my domain. I could not imagine trusting my private correspondence to some cloud-based email service.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

Where I work we are subjected to the indignity of working on windows computers with outlook, and they have set our outlook clients to check for emails once a minute. Believe me, if the only issue you have is polling frequency you have no issue (other than maybe one to many lattes. Lol)

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Mavericks is dead. We want Yosemite!!! :D

On my all-day "productive system" I am still on Mountain Lion (10.8.5). Will upgrade when I feel like - to Mavericks. Probably at the time when 10.10 will appear (so far I haven't seen any feature that got me caught - unless they'd announce OpenGL 4.4 support or some other technical feat of the same calibre).

Hand-off? Yeah, no, not really. Dark Theme? Nice, but not worth the "risk" of upgrading any time soon. "iPhoto in the Cloud"? Sounds interesting - but am a Lightroom user, so not really, no... did I forget anything else that they announced at the WWDC? Ah yes, new APIs like Homekit, that looks interesting... let's see and wait...

----------

Your business and livelihood depends on GMail? Really?! What is it you do, send spam? :confused:

----------

I wouldn't want to work at Apple and be at the Mavericks team when next door the Yosemite team is doing their magic

So you really think that those are two distinct teams? Dream on!

----------

I can imagine your "about lunchtime now" kind of email conversations:

I'd rather go to "Joe's", they really make some of those nice fat burgers!

> I'd vote for Cindy's - nice ladies there all around!

> > Any opinions about where to go for lunch?

> > > Great, I'm in! Who else want's to join for lunch this time?

> > > > No, haven't read it yet - but on another note: lunch anyone?

> > > > > Did you read the memo yet that I just sent you 5 minutes ago?

Yes, I can feel with you: pretty annoying if you have to press on that "Receive Emails" button every 10 seconds... ruins your whole business life!

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
I want stability. Something that's been lacking in OS X in recent years.

What has been unstable about it? I've been running Mavericks as soon as it came out and not a single kernel panic, little to no problems with Safari and pretty much everything working as planned (I guess not using gmail also helps the situation).

A new OS per year is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? it is nothing less than a rolling release with features being added only when mature and taking bite size changes rather than trying to cram a **** tonne of features into a single release then running around like headless chickens for the next 6 months fixing bugs.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Mavericks is dead. We want Yosemite!!! :D

I'd like it if companies actually FIXED existing software instead of just rapidly releasing new software.

The existing stuff isn't fixed, and the new stuff introduces new bugs. Those new bugs won't get fixed, because they will just release a newer new product instead.

Bluetooth sometimes just "dies" on 10.9. Apple Mail has lots of issues in 10.9. Will these be fixed with 10.9.4? Who knows. Are they fixed in 10.10? Who knows.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Please keep these coming Apple. And I'll take a 10.9.5 after this. Have a feeling I'll need to keep my work computer on Mavericks for a long time. The more reliable you can make it the better.

I'm excited about Yosemite, but based on what I've seen, it's going to be a while before 3rd party programs catch up. Will be nice for my home system though.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I want stability. Something that's been lacking in OS X in recent years.

A new OS per year is ridiculous.

Then I would steer clear of 10.10. Seems the opposite of stability from what I can gather. Not sure how that classifies as progress, even at early beta stage...

----------

I'd like it if companies actually FIXED existing software instead of just rapidly releasing new software.

Totally agree, and anyone doubting Yosemites instability only need look here at bit:
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/171/

----------

it's going to be a while before 3rd party programs catch up.

not to mention some of Apples on "i" apps like Final Cut and imovie, etc that DON"T WORK YET! I just don't get that.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Good. Yosemite is far from being cooked.

Mavericks is where its at for now.

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Totally agree, and anyone doubting Yosemites instability only need look here at bit:

Yosemite isn't out there yet. That's the DP of Yosemite, not Yosemite. Have you used the first DP of SL? It was buggy as hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.