Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5s_touch_id-250x250.jpg
A report from China Times (via GforGames) claims Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company is expanding its 8-inch chip plant in order to produce Touch ID sensors for the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. TSMC is planning to produce 120 million Touch ID units in 2014, a 233 percent year over year increase as the sensor expands beyond the flagship iPhone to other iOS devices.

In line with a previous report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, today's report claims Apple and TSMC are using tin to increase the durability of the sensor compared to the current version found in the iPhone 5s.

Supply chain sources say TSMC is scaling its mass production of new Touch ID units to begin delivery to Apple by early July, with third quarter production more than doubling over the previous quarter. A previous report had indicated that the first shipments of new Touch ID sensors began by early May, but these may still have been early batches for testing.

Similar to the iPhone's Touch ID, the iPad version will support the expanded functionality made possible by iOS 8's new SDK that allows third-party apps to access the fingerprint scanner for verification purposes. Touch ID also is rumored to be part of a mobile payment system under development by Apple.

Recent leaks hint at how the next-generation iPad Air and iPad Mini may appear with a Touch ID module and other design refinements such as a changed speaker grille and recessed volume buttons.

Article Link: More Durable Touch ID Sensors for iPhone 6, iPad Air, and iPad Mini Coming From TSMC

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Touch ID sensors in future MacBooks? How about a Touch ID sensor in the Apple Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad?

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Haven't had any issues with my Touch ID. Let's hope it stays that way. My iPhone 4 home button starter being flaky after two years.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
Hmm

So we finally get Touch ID for iPads huh? Well that will be a neat feature! Unless they put the price up due to the Touch ID. But I highly doubt that..

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The touch ID really sets the iPhone apart. Great technology. Hope it works seamlessly going forward and into new devices. (Seems like it would make sense in a MacBook Pro, too...)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The touch ID really sets the iPhone apart. Great technology. Hope it works seamlessly going forward and into new devices. (Seems like it would make sense in a MacBook Pro, too...)

More importantly, hope it works just as good when we see these 3rd party apps start to take advantage.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
In line with a previous report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo,

Can we stop with this incessant pandering to Ming-Chi Kuo? He has been wrong so many times now... what value is added to this article by referencing him? "Look!! He may have finally gotten something right!" :rolleyes:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Samsung have one as well, though. According to one of my colleagues whose missus has an S5, it's apparently just as good -- if not better -- than Apple's. Apparently it's quicker and more reliable.

In saying that, he's an insatiable Android fanboy so I always take what he says with a heavy dose of sodium chloride. Are there any objective opinions from MR members about the S5 vs 5S fingerprint scanner quality? :confused:

icyrock1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
More durable? For what? Will I be able to unlock it with a rock? I haven't had a problem with durability yet. They should focus on accuracy after your hands have been wet/go wrinkly after being in water for a while.

How long before they make giant touchpad versions for macs you think?

A couple years, maybe. There still pretty hard to make, it seems. I bet next year, when they get the economics of scale on there side.

Samsung have one as well, though. According to one of my colleagues whose missus has an S5, it's apparently just as good -- if not better -- than Apple's. Apparently it's quicker and more reliable.

In saying that, he's an insatiable Android fanboy so I always take what he says with a heavy dose of sodium chloride. Are there any objective opinions from MR members about the S5 vs 5S fingerprint scanner quality? :confused:

Eh, they have different ways they unlock. On the iPhone, you set your finger on the sensor and it unlocks. On the S5, you have to Swype across it to unlock. Both are good in there own way.

I personally prefer apples way, just because I like using my phone one-handed and from the video reviews of the S5 I've seen you need to use two hands to unlock it with the fingerprint sensor (one to hold the phone, the other to unlock).

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Could have put money on the fact that Apple would extend TouchID to the iPads, it's just a sensible update. I'd also love to see one in MacBooks because I think it would speed up the act of logging in or waking up a MacBook. Can't quite picture where it would go though, if they were going to keep it as a ring of sapphire.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Wasn't liquidmetal rumored to be used to make the buttons on the iphone more durable?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Touch ID for iPads should work with user accounts. It will unlock an specific account based on the finger used. Now that would be nice.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

Yes I have used both, and I can tell you the sensor on the 5S is far superior for one reason: you can unlock with one hand. While the 5S can recognize you finger print from any direction. the S5 has to be swiped in a certain direction to work. Since the S5 is so big, it is virtually impossible to unlock with only one hand. While both are fairly accurate, being able to unlock your phone with just one hand is really handy when only one hand is free/dry/clean.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Touch ID sensors in future MacBooks? How about a Touch ID sensor in the Apple Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad?

Safari on iPad is crashing (beta) so you are getting the short version! The only problem on MacBooks is Apples reliance upon the hardware embedded iN A7. As such they either need to get Intel to do custome hardware or they will need to deliver ARM based laptops to support Touch ID.

----------

Touch ID for iPads should work with user accounts. It will unlock an specific account based on the finger used. Now that would be nice.

This is where I see Macrumors really needing to bring back down voting because user accounts are the very last thing iPad needs. The desire for user accounts blows the whole concept of what an iPad or iPhone is out of the water.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I am missing the "more durable" part in this article! What is wrong with todays sensor?

In line with a previous report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, today's report claims Apple and TSMC are using tin to increase the durability of the sensor compared to the current version found in the iPhone 5s.

Apparently there have been problems with the sensors failing to work properly; resetting the fingerprint data has helped some devices but not all.

Disclaimer: I've never used a 5s and I'm mostly going off of other's anecdotal reports here.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
Safari on iPad is crashing (beta) so you are getting the short version! The only problem on MacBooks is Apples reliance upon the hardware embedded iN A7. As such they either need to get Intel to do custome hardware or they will need to deliver ARM based laptops to support Touch ID.

Or they could continue using Intel but just add an additional chip in the MacBooks to support Touch ID

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Eh, they have different ways they unlock. On the iPhone, you set your finger on the sensor and it unlocks. On the S5, you have to Swype across it to unlock. Both are good in there own way.

I personally prefer apples way, just because I like using my phone one-handed and from the video reviews of the S5 I've seen you need to use two hands to unlock it with the fingerprint sensor (one to hold the phone, the other to unlock).

Yes I have used both, and I can tell you the sensor on the 5S is far superior for one reason: you can unlock with one hand. While the 5S can recognize you finger print from any direction. the S5 has to be swiped in a certain direction to work. Since the S5 is so big, it is virtually impossible to unlock with only one hand. While both are fairly accurate, being able to unlock your phone with just one hand is really handy when only one hand is free/dry/clean.

Thank you both for your input :) Interesting to see your perspectives.

Sparkey03

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012

----------

This is where I see Macrumors really needing to bring back down voting because user accounts are the very last thing iPad needs. The desire for user accounts blows the whole concept of what an iPad or iPhone is out of the water.

Hi Wizard, interested to understand where you are coming from with your thoughts on user accounts. I am the sole user of my ipad and iphone so have never had problems but I know friends who have a lot of problems trying to share a device as a family.

Having accounts and the choice to have tags to make things global (say some photos, music or apps) seems a great step forward. Each account would have their own email etc as you would expect. Touch ID would make it a seamless transfer between accounts.

I see less of a use on a phone but plenty of iPads must be shared in a home?

Thanks.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Silly story. It's almost axiomatic that Apple would strive to make a next-gen part better than the previous one. It makes sense from both a customer satisfaction perspective as well as a reducing warrant repairs endeavor. I really haven't heard of wide-spread durability issues but I'm sure they exist -- I've seen people using the Touch ID by mashing their finger on the button rather than just lightly touching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.