Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ABC News is launching a new Apple TV channel today, bringing access to live and on-demand content to Apple's set-top box. The channel offers a variety of news and entertainment offerings, including local news in select markets and access to five decades of historical footage from ABC's archives. As with many of the recent channel additions to the Apple TV, ABC News is only available to users in the United States for the time being, although ABC says availability will expand worldwide "in the coming weeks".

abc_news_apple_tv.jpg
ABC News on Apple TV offers more choices for how, when and where to get the video content you want. Unlike other news offerings, ABC News provides a robust line-up of original and on-demand content and up to four live streaming events at once, allowing viewers to select and view the live news they care about most. From court trials and breaking news to the daily White House press briefing, live continuous coverage of the day's top stories, videos and more are instantly accessible with ABC News on Apple TV.
Among the features on the new ABC News channel:

- 24/7 access to live and on-demand video with four separate live video streams to choose from.

- Video news updates on the hour and four to five live reports per day to cover breaking news.

- Local content from nine television stations around the United States: WABC (New York), KABC (Los Angeles), WLS (Chicago), WPVI (Philadelphia), KGO (San Francisco), KTRK (Houston), WTVD (Raleigh), KFSN (Fresno), and WISN (Milwaukee).

- Curated stories and videos highlighting the top news stories of the moment, updated throughout the day.

- 50 years of historical footage from ABC News' archives, including "This Week in History" and "The Day in Pictures" features.

The Disney/ABC/ESPN media conglomerate has had a close relationship with Apple for a number of years, driven in large part by Disney's acquisition of Pixar, which was owned by Steve Jobs. As a result of the transaction, Jobs became Disney's largest individual shareholder and retained a seat on Disney's board of directors.

The fruits of that relationship can be seen on Apple TV, which offers an existing Watch ABC channel, a trio of Disney television channels, a Watch ESPN channel, and three channels (A&E, Lifetime, History) from Disney/ABC's joint venture with Hearst Corporation. Disney is also a part owner of the Hulu subscription service that is available on Apple TV.

Update 7:08 AM: In addition to ABC News, several other new channels have appeared on Apple TV today, including PBS Kids, AOL On, and Willow, a sports channel dedicated to international cricket. The Flickr channel has also been redesigned.

Article Link: ABC News Comes to Apple TV with Live and On-Demand Video, Local News, and Historical Footage [Updated]

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I strongly believe that for each day that pass by with Apple not launching App Store for Apple TV they keep losing momentum against the competitors in the TV industry.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
ABC Easy as 1, 2, 3... Keep growing that library Apple. Now give me access to my iOS games please!!!!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I strongly believe that for each day that pass by with Apple not launching App Store for Apple TV they keep losing momentum against the competitors in the TV industry.

Meh. NexusQ launched with no revolution.

Amazon FireTV launched with no apparent revolution.

Either market at large isn't interested, or still not done right.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
How about stop adding loads of random channels (which barely anybody uses) and give us an Apple TV App Store!?

That way, lots more developers and broadcasters can create channels and users can pick and choose which they have installed on their Apple TV.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Do I need a cable subscription for this or is this finally a free channel?

I'd like to know that as well. I'm not a cable/sat subscriber and don't intend to be. Not gonna pay for 200 channels that are mostly junk I have no use for.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
i'm sure that thousands of people can't wait to go to work daily to make TV for you to watch for free

...you do realize that abc, nbc, fox and others broadcast over the air for "free." Advertisers pay a lot of money to get a few seconds of air time.

You just have to buy an antenna...

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Ah finally, I have my dedicated channel to watch cricket.

Hi,

May I know what channel is provided in Apple TV to watch Cricket? Are there any subscription options available. Please let me know.

Thanks

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

I'm really excited about all those incredible Fire TV games that were announced at E3 this year.

Oh wait, that didn't happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.