Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Now that Apple has just released a new version of the fifth generation iPod touch with a camera and color, does Apple not intend to release a 6th iPod touch? Or is this a sign that they will and this is a move to make a "1 size fits all" solution so they can sell it alongside the 6G for a cheaper price like they did the 4 and 5?

Naquanpb

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
2 in 1 year?

i was thinking the same thing so i can figure out should i buy one or not, but really would apple release 2 ipod touches in the same year?

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I feel like it's always behind the iPhones so this year they'll probably keep the 5th Gen in 16GB and then release the 5" screen next year for the iPods.

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
They could keep selling the 16gb as a cheaper option and a 32gb and 64gb iPod touch 6g but I don't think apple would after what happened when they did that with the 4g.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I really think they upgraded the 16 GB model so it has the full set of features in the 5th generation iPod touch, and they can upgrade the 32 and 64 GB models to a bigger screen.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I really think they upgraded the 16 GB model so it has the full set of features in the 5th generation iPod touch, and they can upgrade the 32 and 64 GB models to a bigger screen.

That's what I believe.

And to the person who said 2 in 1 year... I don't see that as a stretch for apple since they didn't really release a new iPod touch, they just added a new capacity so I don't see why not!

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
And any way you look at it, with this 16GB full-featured iPod touch, Apple introduced a new A5 device and Apple will definitely sell this 16GB version throughout all of 2014. This means Apple will continue to actively support and sell A5-powered devices until at least spring 2015.

The iPad 2, released in spring 2011, will have at least 4 years of support and updates. One long time myth about Apple is does not exist anymore. Apple does not try to get people to buy new devices by issuing slower software. Adding on features to software will always make it slower. Apple does continue to add many new features at a rapid yearly pace - but it does its best at optimizing its software and has no intention whatsoever of making and forcing these portable computers to be obsolete.

And Apple also now doesn't try to force us to upgrade - iOS 7 introduced the ability to delete downloaded software updates.

This new Apple under Cook and Ive is different, but many things are also the same. I think it changed for the better for the current products. However, I think Apple will stay safe and steady, and not have breakout no-competition Steve Jobs successes like the Mac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad. For example, future products like an iWatch or iTV are being worked on by many other companies.

Naquanpb

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
i just dont understand the game plan, why release a new updated ipod touch, cheaper, that would make ppl go buy it, then release a newer ipod touch 3 months later. i just dont see the logic. I dont know if the 6th gen is comming out this year or not, like everyone else, but i would be pissed to go buy this new updated one or a 32 gb with a cheaper price now, and then 3 months later a 6th comes out, nobodys buying both. so sometimes i dont understand apples logics

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
i just dont understand the game plan, why release a new updated ipod touch, cheaper, that would make ppl go buy it, then release a newer ipod touch 3 months later. i just dont see the logic. I dont know if the 6th gen is comming out this year or not, like everyone else, but i would be pissed to go buy this new updated one or a 32 gb with a cheaper price now, and then 3 months later a 6th comes out, nobodys buying both. so sometimes i dont understand apples logics

That's assuming that they release another Touch this year.

With this quiet update/price drop, I think that it'll be early next year before we see a new Touch.

And I think it's safe to bet that the current Touch and non-retina Mini will both be supported through iOS 9.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I think it is safe to assume that Apple will want to drive as much attention to iPhone 6 and it's new wearable product that the Touch will go untouched this fall. As an entry-level iOS device, the 5th generation touch and the A5 are great.

Apple goes to great lengths to optimize its software for the hardware they are using and they have successfully pushed the limits of the A5 again and again. I would not be surprised if the continued use of A5 is because the iWatch (or whatever they end up calling it) will be based on a version of the chip that uses very minute amounts of power.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm not to sure. I fled that the iPod touch would get an update this year and then apple released the updated version of the 16gb. So that points to no new iPod. BUT they also dropped the prices of the 32 and 64 gb. That points to clearing out stock. Apple is pulling me in all different directions now. But I think this still means they will update the iPod. Apples just being tricky ;)

Naquanpb

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
I'm not to sure. I fled that the iPod touch would get an update this year and then apple released the updated version of the 16gb. So that points to no new iPod. BUT they also dropped the prices of the 32 and 64 gb. That points to clearing out stock. Apple is pulling me in all different directions now. But I think this still means they will update the iPod. Apples just being tricky ;)

Or they dropped the price because the iphone 6 is comming out, and ipod touch is way behind, and since the ipod touch is supposed to be an alternitive to the iphone, they really dont compare. Might as wel drop the price now

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

They blindsided many with the quick release of a newer IPad but their track record isn't like Samsung. :)

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007

Or they FINALLY realised that charging $100 for a memory doubling was ludicrous in 2014 :)

$50 is a little more reasonable. For now. $25 to $30 on small memory jumps would be even closer to reality given the price of USB flash sticks these days.

Hoping this also flows through to Apple tablets when updated. No reason not too as the precedent has been set. Competitors will also have to cut their profits to compete.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Or they FINALLY realised that charging $100 for a memory doubling was ludicrous in 2014 :)

$50 is a little more reasonable. For now. $25 to $30 on small memory jumps would be even closer to reality given the price of USB flash sticks these days.

Hoping this also flows through to Apple tablets when updated. No reason not too as the precedent has been set. Competitors will also have to cut their profits to compete.
More like they dropped the price on an old product.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
More like they dropped the price on an old product.

And released a new version of that "old product" at the same time. New price points, new version, new SKUs. Qualifies as a new product for the Buyer's Guide, and every shop selling them in the world.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
And released a new version of that "old product" at the same time. New price points, new version, new SKUs. Qualifies as a new product for the Buyer's Guide, and every shop selling them in the world.

It's old-tech whichever way you look at it

Only thing new is the price: Apple clearing out their old A5 processors.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Still old tech that should have been discounted a year ago. Adding a camera does not make it new tech.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think they're leaving it alone until next year.

I was at a friend's daughter's birthday party last week. Most of them were running around with 5th generation iPods. It's definitely a dying product for the older crowd, but parents are buying it for their younger kids who are not ready for a phone yet.

Those kids will most likely end up buying iPhones when they're older. The cycle continues. :D

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
A few years ago, the iPod touch was very popular, even at 14-16 years old we all had them (2g, later on 4g), nowadays everyone aged 10+ has some kind of smartphone - be it an Android phone or an iPhone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.