Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A growing number of iOS and OS X owners are reporting a glitch that displays the holidays from the wrong country in the default system calendar app. As noted by one MacRumors reader in Ireland, holidays like the pro-UK Battle of the Boyne are now showing on his iPhone calendar.

calendar-holidays-incorrect.jpg
This glitch also was documented by Edgardas Balsevi?ius, who shows in the video below that his iPad is set to Lithuania for its region, but the default holiday calendar is set to other countries, including Mexico, Hong Kong, and Canada. This mismatch between location and calendar is not observed when the region is set to the USA, UK or Russia.

This glitch was reported over the weekend and is present on iOS devices, including an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air, running iOS 7.1.x. Apple support has allegedly confirmed to Balsevi?ius that this is a known software issue that will be addressed in the next update.

While most reports involve iOS 7.1, a few OS X owners have reported a similar problem with OS 10.9.x that also started in the past week. These users also state that the default holiday calendar now displays events from the incorrect region, with one user on Apple Support forums noting that switching the default currency back to the local designation seems to fix the issue.

Article Link: iOS and OS X Calendar Glitch Pulls Holiday Data From Wrong Countries

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Every time I set up a new device (iPad / Mac) with iCloud, it sets the language to be some European language (Danish? Dutch? Not sure..). I wonder if it's related.. the nationality field for some users has been corrupted somehow.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Somewhat or maybe related: Whenever I set up an AirPort device, it defaults the country to Venezuela. I'm in the U.S. I don't know if it affects how the wifi works.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Minor issue but it is annoying. I have disabled view of that region holidays but it appears on spotlight... Now will need wait for two months till they fix it :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,705

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
See, I actually IMPORT my own holiday calendar and do it myself. I did see the one that iOS added the other day to my devices and promptly deleted it without looking at it first, so I didn't get to see whether there was an issue or not.

This article made me laugh anyway.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
See, I actually IMPORT my own holiday calendar and do it myself. I did see the one that iOS added the other day to my devices and promptly deleted it without looking at it first, so I didn't get to see whether there was an issue or not.

This article made me laugh anyway.
For the most part apple adds one of their own now and there's no way to delete it.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
A growing number of iOS and OS X owners are reporting a glitch that displays the holidays from the wrong country in the default system calendar app.

Just in time for the iWatch!

A $500 smart watch that will tell you random holidays completely unrelated to the country you're in. That should go along nicely with the inevitable time and alarm bugs that are sure to come up.

I'm hoping Apple at least gets the watch part right. If not it could be pretty embarrassing...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Too bad the Battle of the Boyne is not a bank holiday - meaning that it's like St David's day and St Patric day meaning that you have to go into work as it's not a bank holiday :rolleyes:

In Germany, there are some religious holidays where the employer must give you a day of holiday if you ask for it (so one day of your holiday is gone, but the employer can't refuse on that particular day).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.