Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pontus669

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Sweden
Hello!
I have had 4 iPhones the last in the last 2 years. I have not saved any photos taken on there devices. If i buy iPhoto on my mac, will all my photos synced to iCloud appear in the app?
Thanks in advance.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hello!
I have had 4 iPhones the last in the last 2 years. I have not saved any photos taken on there devices. If i buy iPhoto on my mac, will all my photos synced to iCloud appear in the app?
Thanks in advance.

That depends. First of all, you don't need to buy anything simply to recover your photos IF they were ever backed up in the first place.

Did you turn on Photostream on those devices and in System Preferences on your Mac? If not, chances are your photos are gone as nothing lives in the cloud much beyond 30 days or 1,000 photos and if Photostream wasn't turned on from your iPhones then most likely nothing made it to the cloud to begin with.

If you did have it turned on in both places then there is a folder on your Mac where Photostream folders go and sit waiting to be imported into iPhoto.

I have been using Photostream since the developer preview for whatever OS introduced it. I noticed that none of this was on by default so I would check the settings on both ends before you go looking for photos in ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub/ or spend money buying iPhoto.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Hejsan,

If I have photos on an iPhone, I simply download them via a data/charging cable between my iPhone and iPhoto on my Mac. No real need to do it via iCloud. Of course you can set up your iCloud account to do it through the iCloud servers.

Make sure you have the latest IOS and OS installed and your iCloud account set for streaming if you will go via iCloud. You can look at your iCloud account info and see how much data you have there for photos that have not been deleted.

MVH, Michael

Pontus669

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Sweden
I solved it. I recovered my current phone to that specifik iCloud back up and gott most of my photos. Thanks for the reply guys?
MVH Pontus :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.