Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's forthcoming iPhone 6 may sport 1 GB of RAM, according to a leaked schematic shared by Chinese Apple repair firm GeekBar (Google Translate, via G for Games). The chart is said to come from an internal supply chain source, however it is unknown if the schematic is intended for the 4.7-inch or 5.5-inch iPhone 6.
iphone6_1gbram_schematic2-800x421.jpg
If the chart is indeed legitimate, the iPhone 6 would join the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c in sporting 1 GB of RAM. That amount of RAM would also be below competitors such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8, which both feature 2 GB of RAM. It is important to note that Apple has never emphasized the amount of RAM in the iPhone, instead choosing to focus on optimizing the user experience through tight software and hardware integration.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 6 at an event on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely coming around a week later. It is possible that the 5.5-inch version may also be launched at the same time, however reported production issues with the larger device may cause Apple to delay its launch until later this year or early next year. Both models of the iPhone 6 are expected to feature a thinner, curved design and come with a faster A8 chip, a new camera with stabilization, and iOS 8.

Update 7:19 AM: As noted in our forums, the schematic's references DDR and NAND suggests that it more likely refers to some aspect of the device's flash memory rather than DRAM included within the A8 chip.

Article Link: Alleged Schematic Shows iPhone 6 Coming with 1GB of RAM [Updated]

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't say that I'm surprised, though disappointed.

What good is a 64 bit processor and OS when the ram is so limited

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Irrelevant but cue people going crazy over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I agree on that software/hardware is great and works great. But more ram is what we need as well. Just try to hold open some safari tabs....or multiple apps....they will just close.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Well this should keep MacRumors complaining for a few days. Overall though I could care less, as long as the user experience remains smooth like it always has been.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
When you can't have more than one app running at full speed, I see little need for more than 1 GB.

Just curious: can the iPhone use virtual memory? (With or without jail breaking?)

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
3 years of the same RAM and with a price increase, ouch. Keep the sharp objects away from MacRumors.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
I'm happy as long as the iPad gets a RAM upgrade. Seriously, can't look at different tabs without it reloading.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Great. I own an iPad Air and the RAM is just insufficient.
Apps keep reloading while multitasking . I often lose progress and need to retype stuff, like for instance I was searching tyres on ebay and set all the parameters for my car .
I switched to safari to look up something. Switched back to ebay and it relaunched the ebay app and I had to do all the search again.

That's just two (!) apps ....

But I guess its ok for the iSheep. Clearly I am using the device wrong. And 1 GB of RAM is more than enough.
But if apple releases an iphone 6s with 2 GB RAM. Then we will praise them to heaven... The competition will have at least 3GB RAM by the time, but you know... 2GB will be more than enough right? ....

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Many people hoped for 2GB of RAM, but many still expected only 1GB of RAM. So 1.5GB seemed realistic. That's disappointing.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
More RAM = more cached apps

Safari can get a good use of this increase, as well as Mail.

If Apple dont increase the RAM, ill be sad.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
If true, I will have to take a wait and see attitude with the next iPhone. May need to wait it out for the iPhone 6LS as my Lumia Icon still does everything that I need.

GL

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
1GB? Welcome to 2009... no wonder browsing and multitasking on an iPhone is horrible.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Safari shouldn't crash if they just use a proper pagefile emulating ram from the ssd (flash memory or whatever type), improving the ssd's transfer rate should be enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.