Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to launch its much-rumored 12.9-inch iPad in early 2015, reports Bloomberg. Hints of the tablet, which has been dubbed the "iPad Pro" in rumors, first appeared in mid-2013, with a prospective 2014 launch date. Recent rumors, however, suggested plans for the tablet had been put on hold.

12_9_ipad_macbook_air-800x450.jpg
Mockup of a 12.9-inch iPad next to a 13-inch MacBook Air
The new iPad will have a screen measuring 12.9 inches diagonally, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the details aren't public. Apple currently produces iPads with 9.7-inch and 7.9-inch displays. The Cupertino, California-based company has been working with suppliers for at least a year to develop a new range of larger touch-screen devices, said the people.
According to rumors, the larger 12.9-inch iPad will include a high pixel density with a display that nears ultra high-definition quality. It will likely adopt many of the design elements offered in the current iPad Air and iPad mini, like an ultrathin chassis and narrow side bezels.

Bloomberg suggests that the larger tablet is an effort to "shake up the iPad line" as sales of the iPad have been on the decline for the past two quarters. The larger tablets may appeal heavily to businesses, a market that Apple is also aiming for with its recent IBM partnership.

Along with a larger "iPad Pro" Apple is also working on a second-generation iPad Air and Retina iPad mini, both of which are expected to include upgraded processors and support for the Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Apple to Launch 12.9-Inch iPad in Early 2015

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
and those spreading the rumors know the difference between 12.9” iPad & Retina MacBook Air screens in the supply chain?

My kitchen doesn't have grains of salt large enough for this one.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I would be very surprised if this is true.

Also if it is true, I wonder how much.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Didn't Tim Cook promise us (and the investors) a lot of great innovative products in 2014? Seems that list is shrinking down :(

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Retina Macbook Air. Calling it.

(Watch me be wrong)

Who knows, they both could use the same screen--assuming there is an iPad Pro. Aren't these rumors simply based on the screens being tested?

That would make a very desirable *cough* 12" MBA to me.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy 12 inch failed

Galaxy 12 inch didn't really take off, you can get it now for $350.

I don't think this will happen.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Future headlines:

"Battery production issues has delayed the 12.9inch iPad"

"Battery issue resolved, iPad Pro is back on schedule"

"Apple having issues with LCD production"

"iPad Pro may or may not be released this year"

"iPad Pro now slated for WWDC 2015"

"iPad Pro put on hold for some reason"

"iPad Pro back on schedule for early 2015 release"

"Initial production to be in slow supply"

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
2015 will be one hell of a year... New tablet sizes, watches, TVs, retinas of this and that. :rolleyes:

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
for an ipad of this size, i suspect they would be targeting the Surface type items, meaning half tablet, half laptop.

And I think they will need some kind of non-touch input to add to that, whether that is mouse or stylus, to promote using it for more 'real' work.

otherwise, even simple things like copy and paste on a document remain as they are... unweildy. ok to do occasionally, but not preferred.

(IMHO)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.