Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With still a few days to go until Apple's media event where it will undoubtedly announce its launch plans for iOS 8, the company is already preparing to seed its carrier partners with an iOS 8.0.1 update for testing, according to BGR. Details on the update are unknown, as is a release timeframe, although last year Apple released a launch-day iOS 7.0.1 update for the iPhone 5s and 5c to fix a few bugs on those devices.

ios_8_0_1_traffic.jpg
Visits to MacRumors from devices running iOS 8.0.1 on Apple's networks
MacRumors has seen a significant increase in iOS 8.0.1 web log activity coming from Apple's networks over the past couple of weeks, although the first signs of the version appeared as long ago as mid-July.

The last developer release of iOS 8 came one month ago in the form of iOS 8 beta 5, with the company likely holding back further seeds as it finalizes the software for its upcoming hardware. A sixth beta was reportedly seeded to carrier partners a couple of weeks ago, but with much more limited distribution for that release, developers have not had access to dig into it to look for new hints about the next-generation iOS devices.

Article Link: Apple Already Preparing to Seed Carrier Partners With iOS 8.0.1

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
I got a really good feeling about the upcoming keynote! don't know why but I'm feeling really hyped right now.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Is this surprising that they're working on 8.0.1?

In other news, Apple will release iOS 9 in 2015..

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
I Hope the Update adds some more RAM to my iPad Air.

I was told Apple is well known for this magic stuff.
Don't like black magic though. That is when Tabs or Apps disappear and need to reload .

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
As new iPhones were probably already flashed with the iOS 8 GM before the 'fappening' last week, iOS 8.0.1 is probably a day one release with all of the security measures Tim Cook spoke to WSJ about last night. As well as general bug fixes etc, etc.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
This is the part where I am suddenly oriented to how close iOS 8 really is.

My body is ready.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB

People around here are so sensitive and have such high standards for what is article-worthy.

Also, if you actually read the article, it's surprising that Apple is ready to SEED 8.0.1, not that they've been working on it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Surprising? no.
Interesting? yes.

It means the iOS8 GM which they've been loading on the production lines, has bugs/flaws which they want to fix ASAP. And it's too late to cook it into iOS8 GM.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Maybe we'll get iOS 8 sooner vs later. iOS 7 was mostly cosmetic, but iOS 8 seems to be focusing on actual features. Maybe they'll final fix some iOS 7 bugs like how my iPad gets stuck in one orientation.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I got a really good feeling about the upcoming keynote! don't know why but I'm feeling really hyped right now.

Well they said "Wish we could say more."

So if they think the Keynote is going to be a dud, then this gets read as "Darn, we really wish we had more to offer."

But if they think the Keynote will be great, then this gets read as, "We can barely contain ourselves and we wish we could talk about this stuff now."

I'm leaning toward the later.

That said, I think the biggest stuff is still the iOS extensions and the Swift programming language. I suspect that there are now more programmers in the US working on iOS software than there are working on Windows software. Maybe it just seems like that to me. But is any new software (as in not a improvement over existing stuff) getting made for Windows? There is a new high end App for iOS and the web in general everyday. iOS 8 and Swift should accelerate this process. As we switch to the post-PC world in which iOS is going to be Windows.

----------

As new iPhones were probably already flashed with the iOS 8 GM before the 'fappening' last week, iOS 8.0.1 is probably a day one release with all of the security measures Tim Cook spoke to WSJ about last night. As well as general bug fixes etc, etc.

Great point.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Again with the graphs with no y-axis units! For all we know that spike is two people! I can't.

Well, you can tell from the shape of the graph, it's not two people. Unless the early blips were like 0.05 people each. ;)

It's not a huge number, but I'll say the total number of visits reflected there is well into the hundreds. The raw numbers aren't required to see the trend.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I'm almost wondering if we will see iOS 8 actually launch after the keynote on the 9th. Generally they just put out the Golden Master, but I'm predicting they'll actually launch it on the 9th.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
can't innovate any more my a**

Schiller: Last time we presented hardware innovations, you may remember I told you "Can't innovate... my ass!" This year, we have actually innovated... an ass. You will probably never sit on any ass as comfortable as ours.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Surprising? no.
Interesting? yes.

It means the iOS8 GM which they've been loading on the production lines, has bugs/flaws which they want to fix ASAP. And it's too late to cook it into iOS8 GM.

Dad, what's an SDLC, and why is it important?

Son, that's to prevent this hideous thing called, "feature creep," and let businesses develop software like engineers, not like we did with that program you wrote for school.

Again with the graphs with no y-axis units! For all we know that spike is two people! I can't.

If the spike were two people then what would all the little bumps on the left be? 1/10th of a person? The most important factor for this graph is relative increase in usage over time. Absolute numbers don't matter, because 8.0.1 is almost certainly running on under 0.5% of devices.... In fact 0.05% is probably more realistic. We are talking carriers only. No devs have this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.