Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Imagine what he would have done had he lived. When you see the amazing continued careers of Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck, it seems natural that Jimi would have continued to reinvent himself.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
A different looking Hendrix on 61 in the army:
Hendrix_in_Army.jpg

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
It sad that he passed away at age 27.

Along with Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain to name a few. Part of the "27 club". In particular, I would've loved to see what Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix would've done next had they lived longer.

If I recall correctly, the term "27 club" wasn't coined (or made popular) until Kurt Cobain's death. Right after Kurt's death, his mom gave a public speech about Kurt, and said something like "unfortunately Kurt joined the club". What she was actually referring to was a couple members of Kurt's family also committed suicide with a shotgun, but the media / public took it as joining the club of musicians dying at 27.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Hendrix could have reinvented himself and continued on. Kurt Cobain might have peaked when he died. I don't know if he would have had the impact had he lived. Both of their legacies were made stronger by their early deaths.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Along with Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain to name a few. Part of the "27 club". In particular, I would've loved to see what Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix would've done next had they lived longer.

If I recall correctly, the term "27 club" wasn't coined (or made popular) until Kurt Cobain's death. Right after Kurt's death, his mom gave a public speech about Kurt, and said something like "unfortunately Kurt joined the club". What she was actually referring to was a couple members of Kurt's family also committed suicide with a shotgun, but the media / public took it as joining the club of musicians dying at 27.

Interesting. Also Brian Jones, the Rolling Stones super talented multi-instrumentalist was 27 when he was found dead.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Four musicians have joined the 27 club more recently than Amy Winehouse. Lindsay Lohan was a popular pick to join the club in various celebrity death pool games, but AFAICT, she is not really known for her musical talent above other things. And she turned 28 a few months ago.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Old,old story.

When I was in high school in Seattle I lived on Capitol Hill. There was a park close by called Volunteer Park.

In 1968 Volunteer Park hosted free Saturday concerts in the park.

Some really,really great bands played there. Jimi Hendrix would play there for free every time he was home in Seattle.

Got to see him live a couple times there.

Fun times.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
A few decades ago, we were at a family picnic at Saltwater, got a bit irked at the relatives, so we drove across on up to the cemetary, found his grave (follow the crayon wrappers, they said). Sat there and passed a joint around. Left the roach for Jimi, because it felt like the right thing to do.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
A few decades ago, we were at a family picnic at Saltwater, got a bit irked at the relatives, so we drove across on up to the cemetary, found his grave (follow the crayon wrappers, they said). Sat there and passed a joint around. Left the roach for Jimi, because it felt like the right thing to do.

Isn't he buried in the same place as Kurt Cobain ?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Isn't he buried in the same place as Kurt Cobain ?

Kurt Cobain was scattered in various places. There is a small memorial park off Young Street where it crosses the Wishkah, one of the notable sites where he was scattered (in his hometown). Probably a memorial in Seattle, but Seattle has memorial thingies for Lacey V. Murrow, Bruce Lee, Vladimir Lenin and a whole melty building named after Jimi's band. Sadly, nothing for Layne Staley.

Jimi's grave is not in Seattle, he is near Sunset in Renton.

Last edited:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
My guitar teach told me one time that basically the road for metal and heavy rock was paved by Jimi. Very innovative and influential player.

For me, his influence and abilities make him #1, and I'm not even that fond most of his music. Not like you can really qualify or substantiate any kind of artist, but still. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.