Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imfromthere7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I just recently got interested in C++ and was wondering what applications would you use to run this programming language. I know that applescript exists but besides that i am unaware of others. Also, does C++ work the same in a mac and in a windows? Are the same commands used?

thank you:rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
XCode is the Mac programming environment for C, C++ and Objective-C, ... gcc is the engine behind XCode, and is a very portable compiler available on many platforms.

C++ is the same everywhere you go for console/text based programs, but if you want a GUI you need to interface to the right libraries, and this will (generally) be different for Macs and Windows boxes.

B

novicew

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2006
Hamburg
imfromthere7 said:
I just recently got interested in C++ and was wondering what applications would you use to run this programming language. I know that applescript exists but besides that i am unaware of others. Also, does C++ work the same in a mac and in a windows? Are the same commands used?

thank you:rolleyes:

As balamw said XCode2 is the best to start with. When I switched to Mac I had the similar problem to find a GUI. You will find a simple guideline here.

You can also use the Vim editor if you are comfortable with the Terminal. Here is a nother small demonstration.

Sure, you may not be able to use the exact code when programming under OSX but 95% of the time it should work. But I am definitely not an expert.:D
Hope this helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.