Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

white89gt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I'm new to the idea of writing programs for the Mac platform and have a few questions.

1. Is XCode on the OSX Tiger install DVD?
2. It XCode a lot like C/C++?

I know these questions have probably been asked before so please forgive me...I couldn't find what I was looking for using the search.

Thanks in advance.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yes xcode is on the dvd i think it is called developer tools. scode ia a part of that.

Well sorta, xcode lets you compile in c++. xcoded isn't a language but more an application that lets you debug programs and such.

If anyobe has a better explanation feel free to add

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I would describe xcode as an IDE (integrated development environment) that allows you to write code for the Mac. It's kind of like MS's Visual Studio (I've haven't used either to any great extent, but that's my initial impression - correct me if I'm wrong).

But unlike Visual Studio, it's free, and allows you to write code for C/C++, Obj-C, Java and AppleScript/Automator, in other words just about anything you need to write any kind of code for the Mac.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
white89gt said:
1. Is XCode on the OSX Tiger install DVD?
2. It XCode a lot like C/C++?

Yes, XCode is part of the Developer Tools suite of programs. The installer for Developer Tools is on the OS X Tiger install DVD but is not part of the OS X installer. You need to separately run the Developer Tools installer after you have installed OS X. If you have a decent broadband connection then you may be better off downloading the current Developer Tools installer from the Apple site since Developer Tools have been updated a couple of times since Tiger was released. The current version of XCode is 2.2 and can be downloaded here.

XCode is not a programming language. C and C++ are programming languages. Rather, XCode is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). An IDE is an application that you use to write programs. So, you can use XCode to write programs in C and C++ or Java or Objective-C.

The "Integrated" part of IDE just means that all of the tasks (or at least the common tasks) necessary to develop programs can be done in the IDE. Without an IDE you would need to use a stand-alone editor to write your C code and then saving the file before using a stand-alone compiler to compile the code, followed potentially by a stand-alone debugger to debug the application.

XCode uses standard compilers and debugging tools such as gcc and gdb under the covers so it accurately conforms to well defined language standards.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
mrichmon said:
XCode is not a programming language. C and C++ are programming languages. Rather, XCode is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). An IDE is an application that you use to write programs. So, you can use XCode to write programs in C and C++ or Java or Objective-C.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: XCode comes complete with C, C++, Objective-C and Java, so once XCode is installed, you have everything you need to start writing C or C++ programs.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Xcode will also allow you to write all kinds of application that use a Graphic Interface.

white89gt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Thanks for the replys. I'm not sure what version of XCode is on my installer DVD, but I do have one of the new Intel iMac's so it should be pretty new.

One more question, does anyone know of any good websites that offer tutorials on obj-c or java?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
white89gt said:
Thanks for the replys. I'm not sure what version of XCode is on my installer DVD, but I do have one of the new Intel iMac's so it should be pretty new.

My Intel came with 2.2.1 :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
AlmostThere said:
On that point ... what is it with Apple making a 0.0.1 upgrade an 850 Mb download?

Well, it's a full update, capable of updating any older version of Xcode, including 1.x releases. They don't offer different types of updaters based on your current setup like they do for the OS.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
In each update you will also find a new version of the ADC reference library, but I suppose you can download that as a standalone file... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.